PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Roll

MPT
16th May 2002, 02:49
G'day all,

A little bird just told me that another R22 rolled itself up somewhere near Canberra, noone hurt as far as I know. Anyone else got any more details.

Fly safe,

MPT

Arkroyal
16th May 2002, 07:48
Fly Safe!

In a Robbie?

You're joking, right?

The Nr Fairy
16th May 2002, 09:09
Ark :

Congratulations ! You've just won the prize for "Most stereotyped response about R22s" :D

The prize - an hour in an R22. You're lucky, the runner-up will get two hours !

RotorHorn
16th May 2002, 14:33
Don't know if this is what propmted the CAA to ground all R22's in the UK this morning..

something to do with a 4" crack in rotor blade tips I think was the reason...?

Anyone no more...??

CRAN
16th May 2002, 15:15
Has the grounding been lifted? As there is one hovering outside my office window (Cranfield)!

They've been bussing around allday unless i'm mistaken!

CRAN

t'aint natural
16th May 2002, 20:31
CAA requested that R22's be inspected at 10x mag for grip cracks but none were found.
Not that that's going to stop sad plonkers lik Arkroyal spreading the usual dumb guff.

StevieTerrier
16th May 2002, 21:57
There's a similar bulletin out for the Bell 222 grips at the moment. Requires a pre-flight inspection and an engineer's magnifier every 25 hrs I think it is.

So the much maligned R22 is in lofty company on this one!

Lu Zuckerman
16th May 2002, 23:42
If a check is being mandated by the FAA/CAA there must be a reason. Perchance they had discovered cracks in the blade grips of one or more Robbies. If there are in fact cracks being developed I would speculate that the blade grips are the final transfer point for the tendency to lead and lag with this leading and lagging being reacted by the cone hinges. The cone hinges will have an elliptical wear pattern and the loads that cause this wear pattern pass through the blade grip. IMHO

:rolleyes:

Vfrpilotpb
17th May 2002, 19:06
Hey Lu,
Dont get me wrong I dont want to start a marathon on some ones thread, but could the ball be bouncing back into FRs court, or will it be just a "Flash in the pan"( so to speak)?:eek:

Lu Zuckerman
17th May 2002, 19:39
To: vfrpilotpb

I just made the conclusion based on stated facts (development of cracks and the subsequent check mandated by the CAA). If anyone else wants to take it further he / she can start another thread and I’ll gladly participate.

:D

t'aint natural
17th May 2002, 20:03
Lu:
Your speculation and fifty cents will buy you a subway ticket.
Sing another song.