View Full Version : EASA frozen ATPL valid in Thailand?

bkk_airman
15th Feb 2014, 04:20
Hello all,
I am currently studying in Thailand in a paired engineering degree+ CPL course in an international university in Bangkok. In our curriculum there is an ATPL theory course, but from what I've researched, there is no frozen ATPL here. Would I be able to take exams abroad, get an EASA frozen ATPL, and bring it back to Thailand? Would it be valid/recognized? If not, is there any expiry date and recurrent checking required,etc? I've been invited to continue on to an instructor rating so I have no intention of applying to airlines any time soon, however I do want to achieve the same standard as that in EASA because I am a firm nonbeliever of Thai standards (Yes, I am Thai).
Thanks

kwaiyai
16th Feb 2014, 10:15
I would go to the DCAT and ask them. Either way to operate a Thai Registered Aircraft in Thailand you should have a Thai License or Thai Validation of Foreign License.

If you go and get an EASA License as an example you would have to convert it over so more added expense. I knew 1 Thai Co-Pilot flying in a Company I was in and he had got an Australian ATPL, again he had to convert it over. DCAT will tell you the requirements. Usually means Exams and a flight test.

An EASA License is valid for life but I would advise you keep the ratings in it current or not expire by more than 3 years.