PDA

View Full Version : AME Job opportunities abroad.

marque_ix
13th Feb 2014, 10:20
Hi guys,

Long time lurker first time poster.
I currently work for a Major airline here in AUS and have 5 years experience. 3 years Heavy, 1 year line and 2 years component maintenance.

I'm just after any information on contracting In the middle east or in Europe as an AME. Anything to do with Contracting companies, Airlines, regulations. Trying to get on the international contracting circuit for experience and some money.

I've completed the "new part 66" basics during my apprenticeship (Aviation Australia course via Kangan TAFE). Are there any regulations I need to meet at this level to work abroad?

What are the likely prospects with my experience?
Any info or direction to previous posts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

flame_bringer
16th Feb 2014, 16:12
As far as the middle east, It depends on what aircraft you've been working on all along, If it is A320 330 340 777 787, And you've been approved on any of these for atleast 3 years, you would have plenty of chance, otherwise you can only get in as a fitter, Also you did not mention what license you've got? CASA? EASA? B1? B2?
You need to be more specific about your experience and qualifications to have a proper answer.

marque_ix
19th Feb 2014, 11:07
My experience in heavy maintenance relates to 737-800s and 747-400s.
Line maintenance work was 767, a330 and a380.

Not licensed on anything still and AME.

emergency000
19th Feb 2014, 12:44
marque_ix: Have you completed the Diploma of Aeroskills from Kangan yet? If not, get that ASAP, as that'll get you a non type-rated license. That then opens the door to get working on OJT for an aircraft type and potentially a type course.

I assume since you mentioned "Part 66 basics" that those were the AA course requirements for your trade certificate, or have you done AA-21, B-10c, etc. as well? If not, talk to Mark Corrigan at Kangan and get your RPL moving. PM me if you need any more details on Diploma (chances are I'll know you as I worked at the same major airline in Melbourne I'm assuming you are and finished my apprenticeship there last year).

Also I'm not sure what trade you are, so that might have a bearing on how employable you are overseas too.

Cheers,
John

marque_ix
20th Feb 2014, 02:15
Thanks john, probably seen you around base lol. I'm in the process of filling out the RPL. Ive not yet done AA-21 and Im not sure what B-10c is.

How many subjects will it take to get the diploma?

So by having the diploma you are able to get OJT through work or pay for your own type course?

Cheers, Marque_ix

emergency000
20th Feb 2014, 04:47
B-10c is Aviation Legislation. You'll need B-10c, AA-21, plus 2 essays both from B-7 (One is on OH&S, I think the other is maintenance practices). You may also need some extra competencies in your journal. You'll definitely need MEA301: Perform Aircraft Flight Servicing and might need others. Check the Part 66 Manual of Standards for the full list.

You'll also need to participate in an aircraft reweigh and balance as well as complete MSAENV272 which is about environmental practices. PM me if you need any of that stuff or any contacts for aircraft reweigh.

Once you've got the RPL done, done those exams and essays and any extra competencies, you apply through Kangan for a non type rated license from CASA.

You don't need the license to start doing OJT. If fact there's no reason why you can't be filling out OJT books on your particular aircraft types now. It all counts towards your license. If you fill up an OJT book while with your current employer, then if you pay for your own type course, you'll have a CASA type-rated license, which should open plenty of doors across Asia and the Middle East.

What trade are you? And which crew?
Cheers,
John