PDA

View Full Version : FAA Bans personal electronic devices in cockpit

A3301FD
13th Feb 2014, 01:17
FAA bans pilots' personal use of electronic devices in cockpit | Mobile - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57618756-94/faa-bans-pilots-personal-use-of-electronic-devices-in-cockpit/)

Sand Man
13th Feb 2014, 02:00
Sounds like a knee jerk reaction by the FAA for the Northwest flight. If they were say reading company documentation as we all do would the outcome have been different?
The laptops did not cause them to overshot their destination, it was their lack of SA. Inattention is inattention no matter what caused it.

ulugbek-pilot
13th Feb 2014, 03:24
What would be the next step, to take away devices before flight

Dan Winterland
13th Feb 2014, 04:14
iPads as EFBs?

RTOW by text?

Lowkoon
13th Feb 2014, 05:15
My trusty calculator! That's electronic! Can anyone tell me where I might get a good abacus in China?!

ShyTorque
13th Feb 2014, 05:24
Back to reading the newspapers it is then...... But don't put it on your head while you're sleeping.

8driver
13th Feb 2014, 15:30
The vast bulk of FAA regulations are a reaction to a particular accident or incident, they are the elite of "after the fact" tombstone legislating. The recent flight and duty time changes (they are still horrible and they exempted cargo operators), the ATP requirement in the right seat (its experience, not the piece of paper), and now this. They quite often miss the mark. They didn't do enough for flight and duty time, but they've been in the pocket of the airlines for years over that anyway, so I'm surprised anything was done. In regard to experience they focused on a licence and a number of hours rather than on multi crew training programs and pay for hire operations. So is a guy that's instructed for 1500 hours and has an ATP safer than a guy with 1000 hours, 500 of which is SIC in a King Air? This newest rule is unenforceable, put the devices away for a line check and carry on.

mcdude
13th Feb 2014, 20:44
Dan, the rule "...does not apply to the use of a personal wireless communications device or laptop computer for a purpose directly related to operation of the aircraft, or for emergency, safety-related, or employment-related communications..." blah blah blah

BlankBox
14th Feb 2014, 02:36
...business opportunities abound...I can visualize scrapping crappers and turning 'em into phone booths in the sky...AT$T are you listening??? :ok:

A3301FD
14th Feb 2014, 02:38
Wouldn't be surprised...after all...RyanAir tried a pay-as-you go crapper.

Trafalgar
14th Feb 2014, 05:02
we are not governed by the FAA:ugh: