PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3gs email alert

mrsurrey
12th Feb 2014, 21:21
Hello,

I have an iphone 3gs which vibrates every time an email comes in, which is nice. But does anyone know how to stop it vibrating when it's just a junk message? (It's linked to a hotmail account if that makes any difference?)

Thanks,

MrS

mixture
12th Feb 2014, 21:46
Yeah... fix your upstream spam filtering. :E

I am a firm believer that endpoints (whether smartphones, laptops or PCs) are NOT the place to do spam filtering. Robust filtering should take place on email servers, presenting you with a clean (or 99.9% clean) feed.

(The answer to your question being no, you can't do selective vibrating on an iPhone or, as far as I'm aware, any other smartphone).

mrsurrey
12th Feb 2014, 22:46
hotmail is successfully filtering the spam into a junk folder before it reaches the phone, but the phone still vibrates

Don Coyote
13th Feb 2014, 19:43
To my, limited, knowledge you can turn off vibration for the whole email account but not individual inboxes. There may be a tweak for jail broken devices but I have not looked into it.

Don

Mike-Bracknell
13th Feb 2014, 21:38
You choose which folders you synchronise with MS Exchange services on an iPhone, so I would assume you can do the same thing with hotmail. Just stop synchronising the Junk Mail folder.

mixture
14th Feb 2014, 06:51
There may be a tweak for jail broken devices but I have not looked into it.

The educated and wise of the world do not jailbreak their phones. :cool:

Its just asking for trouble and is a proven and serious security risk.