PDA

View Full Version : Need an answer (re. eyes)

crazypilot
15th May 2002, 19:51
Hello

My problem, like many users here, is my eyesight. Its above the CAA Class 1 initial medical limits of -5 dioptres. In fact, together with the astigmatism I have, my total prescription is closer to -6.

I've tried 'eye exercises'....no luck, even after a LONG time of practicing them. The Bates method....tried it, got the t-shirt, but to no avail.

I've always wanted to be a commericial (airline) pilot and can't let this get in my way. I already have a class 2 for my PPL, have no problems with flying a Warrior, so why should I not be allowed to fly an Airbus ? Seems confusing when you need to look out of the window a hell of a lot more in a PA28 when compared with an airliner.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do next? Are the CAA guys ever going to lower the limits again (ie in the next 5 or so years) or should I think of places further adrift such as a life in the US as a pilot there (doing exactly the same thing as a British pilot!)

Thanks

Best wishes
CP

rmmonteiro
16th May 2002, 19:39
hi CP, i am in tha same situation as you are, i have 4,25 and 4,50 , but i am in Portugal, here the limit is still 3,00.
try to do laser , because even if they perform a corneal topography, they donīt know how much was your prescription before, then if your doctor puts in the paper it was only 4,00 or 5,00 you will get the test done.
itīs my opinion and maybe what i am going to do, because i donīt see any problem with it and it is no crime. if the american pilots fly with it why shouldnīt we???:D :D :D

epsilon9854
17th May 2002, 11:20
I just rang the CAA medical division in London Gatwick today, and they told me that exceptions can certainly be made. All you need to do is to send them a fax with your optitian's report, and they will discuss it.

I'll try this later, hopefully they'll allow me to get a Class 1... I have -5.5 plus astigmatism (total more like -6.5), but have very good vision, including night vision, once corrected with glasses.

Good luck, and don't try Lasik unless you really have to -- it can go wrong, and I really don't like the idea of having a large portion of my cornea removed.

András

mgthomas11
17th May 2002, 13:48
I don't know about the C.A.A. making exceptions about eyesight like that. I've written to them twice with my last three prescriptions and a report from my Optometrist and they still won't even give me a Class 2! My right eye is -0.25 and my left is -6.75 dioptres, with no colour vision problems, they won't even consider me and I'm only 21 ! They're mainly getting me on the anisometropia (difference between the two eyes) and say that it is way over their limits of 3 dioptres. Fine, but apart from the J.A.A., nobody else, Canadians and Americans included seems to care!

I know, rules are rules, but when two major and hardly 'backward' countries would both allow someone to fly commercially, with my eyesight, it's a bit of a joke. Just can't get a work permit for either of those, so looks like I'm grounded until I marry an American/Canadian!

My advice is keep at it and see what happens. I can see a mass of legal wrangling about disability discrimination eyesight-wise in the near future.

crazypilot
18th May 2002, 18:29
Thanks for the replies. I don't really want to consider laser surgery, because quite frankly, I'm scared it could go wrong and then I would really be up the shoot.

My present prescription may well be slightly worse than what I quoted aswell. That was the results from my last eye test, 1.5 years ago, and being on an aero eng. degree, I'm sure its got even worse, since we are always using computers!

Even so, my colour vision is perfect, I can see 6/5 with my glasses on and have no other problems...just the short=sightedness.

Hopefully the rules will start to follow the FAA equivalents soon...

Best of luck everyone !

CP