PDA

View Full Version : British European and British Airways

Hudson Bay
15th May 2002, 18:20
Two years ago Jersey European Airways renamed itself British European and bought many pots of paint to change its livery accordingly.

Now someone - almost certainly British Airways - has objected. The registrar of Trade Marks will referee. To make doubly sure, British Airways has filed its own application for the name British European, which last flew almost 20 years ago.

Gary_Haliday
16th May 2002, 14:15
I don't see how Nigel has got a leg to stand on. Not only was it over 20 years ago, but they were also never known as British European, but as British European Airways.
A name that BE has been very careful to avoid !

Crotalus
16th May 2002, 14:25
It is about time that British European changed their callsign ..reading BEE on the radar and calling them Jersey doesn't sit well ...what about BEELINE!! (YES I KNOW!!!)

bealine
16th May 2002, 16:21
Hey! That's my callsign!

dik dastardly
16th May 2002, 21:01
what about BAW with 'speedbird' written over it, MYT with 'kestrel' , AMM with 'jetset'? They've been like that for years and I hear no complaints.

Brae_Cwynd
16th May 2002, 21:29
I seem to remember that, many moons ago after BEA and BOAC were merged into BA, Nigel Management made a big thing in the press of handing over the BEA trademark letters to the British Epilepsy Association. Anyone else remember this ? Can they claim, therefore, the trademark of British European?

chiglet
17th May 2002, 07:00
I seem to remember Birmingham Executive Aviation :D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Carnage Matey!
18th May 2002, 12:32
Jeez the British Epilepsy Association would have a fit if they knew Jersey were infringing their trademark! Just keep their pilots away from flickering lights!:eek:

maninblack
18th May 2002, 15:55
One would think that The World's Favourite Airline would have more important things to do......like trying to stave off impending financial meltdown.

Oh well, if you are managed by accountants and lawyers this is what happens........cross the Ts, dot the Is and hang the bigger picture.

Perchance they will change their name to Canute Airways so they too can sit in splendour whilst defying the inevitable.

timzsta
21st May 2002, 16:57
Those struggling with callsigns must be devasted that Go has been sold.