PDA

View Full Version : Deep depression from the man on the windown ledge !

no looking back !
15th May 2002, 17:11
Is an attempted over dose a bar to obtaining a class one ?

NO its not something I'm proud of and I dont want to hear any silly comments please - This is for a CAA Medic to answer please!

It happened 10 years ago - I spent a week in hospital and then attended as an out patient a few times...no drugs were precribed for my treatment.....no feelings that I need to repleat the performance....I was just a stupid kid that let things get on top of them and didnt seek help sooner.....OTHERS BEWARE....THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU.....but I hope it wont !!!!!!!!

So Can I get a class one or am I 'Branded' for my mistake ?

AerBabe
15th May 2002, 22:38
Very sorry to hear your story. IF you can get through to the CAA on the phone, they will be able to provide you with a list of your local AMEs. You can then call one up and get some advice completely anonymously. I've had to do this, and found the doctor I spoke to extremely helpful.
Good luck :)

Lou Scannon
21st May 2002, 19:21
This job is no more protected from depressive illness than any other, indeed all too often we hear of a sadly succesful attempt.
I think you will be suprised at the support you will receive from other pilots so get in touch with an AME and find out how you stand.

If you are required to meet one of the psychiatrists, don't worry. When it happened to a mate of mine he found the consultation bordered on the enjoyable.

The very best of luck and report back when you have an answer.

SID555
21st May 2002, 22:31
An attempted overdose, even many years ago, would definitely have to be looked into very carefully by the AMEs before they granted a medical certificate. It is unfair that those who have suffered from depression in the past are stigmatised but the statistics show that if you have suffered once you are more likely to suffer again. There are of course lots of pilots who can and will suffer depression in the future, who hold a Class 1 now. It could be argued that if you have suffered depression before you will be safer than one who has not because you will know how to handle it if it crops up again.

There are two views, the old fashioned view says that if you have suffered a significant depression you can't be a pilot but things are changing. Personally, I have dropped my ambition to be a pilot, at least for the moment, because I have had M.E./Chronic Fatigue Syndome, which has gone on for a long time. Depression is a significant element of this illness.

The modern view says that if you can prove that the illness is behind you, there is no reason why you should not be granted a Class 1, and most airlines will accept a Class 1 medical as proof you are fit to fly without delving into your medical history.

BA on the other hand will look into your history but will not rule you out on the basis you have suffered depression, but will look at the case individually.

Good luck.