PDA

View Full Version : Victorinox

kenfoggo
11th Feb 2014, 08:45
I made the mistake of buying a real Victorinox bag to use as my everyday work flight bag. Big mistake- HUGE. The handle has fallen off for the umpteenth time. Does anyone recommend a good luggage repairers who could fix it? Victorinox's own customer service line quote 8 weeks to fix, and I have to lug it over to Kwun Tong myself. I live Kowloon side.
Thanks.

sinkingship
11th Feb 2014, 09:30
How long have you had the bag? request a replacement under warranty .

Klimax
11th Feb 2014, 13:44
Yup - their build quality is no good at all, I can confirm that. In other word, unless you are a banker w@anker, there is really no good reason for a pilot to use Victorinox for work. The Victorinox bags juist don't withstand the roughness of our work and the way we handle them. I've tried both their overnight bags on wheels and their hand carry bags - same result. Things braking off here and there. Not recommended at all.

Cheers,
K.

Dan Winterland
11th Feb 2014, 13:54
Tumi bags last well.

nike
11th Feb 2014, 15:04
Isn't Kwun Tong Kowloon side??

Synchronize
11th Feb 2014, 15:23
I would recommending you ask Cx baggage services .they have a repair company on contract I have used them a few times very efficient and generally have done a very good repair
You can always phone the repair company to get a quote

I bought a delsey bag in the USA lasted me very well

kenfoggo
11th Feb 2014, 16:14
Thanks for replies . Bag out of warranty and I lost patience with Victorinox, poor quality and poor customer service. Junked the bag.

Dakotablue
11th Feb 2014, 21:01
Here's the address and number you're looking for:

Tai Cheong Leather
1/F Grand Bldg,
20 Granville Circuit
Tsim Sha Tsui

852) 27237491
(852) 27237487

They provide a brilliant service. You won't be disappointed.

I can also recommend investing in a Rimowa. Their stuff is very durable, plus we get 10% off with our crew card. Shame the mainlanders have cottoned on to this brand.

fly123456
12th Feb 2014, 03:58
Hi dakota,

Which shop, for the rimowa? Airport?
I found they are much more expensive in Hong Kong than in Germany. So better order them online (no VAT charged, so that's a 19% discount, to be opposed to 50EUR shipping and delivery cost. Plus some online retailers can offer another 15% discount with coupons and prepayment made)

Loopdeloop
12th Feb 2014, 04:02
The Victorinox shop in terminal 2 will take Victorinox bags for repair but need a receipt.

Ka-life
12th Feb 2014, 05:11
Don't bother.
Usually they will give you spare parts for free as they are under life warranty. But you will have to pay more for the work.
Skip it and buy a Tumi or a travelpro if you think Tumi is too pricy.
Tumi seem to last a long time. Well worth it.
The shop in T2 will service your bags but always 6-8 weeks for service for victoronox.
Tumi shop in central sometimes fix bags while you wait.

12th Feb 2014, 05:23
For what it's worth, I've been using a TravelPro 'domestic' sized overnight bag that I bought here in HK 10 years ago and apart from it being on it's 3rd set of wheels nothing has broken. Ever. Staggering really considering the punishment that it suffers with our multi sector days. There used to be an outlet in the Kowloon Airport Express station but it's no longer there. Not sure if there's one in town elsewhere.

Bushfiva
12th Feb 2014, 05:43
I'm not too keen on my Tumi. The underside of the semi-rigid handle is coated in some kind of flock-like material that has simply composted, and now flakes off contaminating everything. Also, the strap seems to attach a little too far down the bag, so the swivel has worn through the material.

moosp
12th Feb 2014, 05:46
My carry on Zero Haliburton is 32 years old and my Three Suiter is 35.

You only ever buy one, but you look like a Pan Am furlough if that worries you.

Red Hot Poker
12th Feb 2014, 06:11
I am surprised by your post, based on my own experience with Victorinox.
Maybe they have changed.

10 years ago my wife bought me 2 carry on bags for my birthday.
They have been very durable and I have been very happy with them.

3 years ago while walking through the Amsterdam airport after a flight, the handle of my suitcase fell off. When I got back to Hkg, I took it to the Victorinox repair shop in Kowloon Tong and they replaced the handle free of charge with great service while I waited 20 minutes. No charge, as they explained it had a lifetime warranty.

I would recommend there product anytime.

jacobus
12th Feb 2014, 09:22
Yeah. Let's sweat the feckin big stuff.

Killaroo
12th Feb 2014, 11:49
The Rimowa cases are a work of art to an aviator, harking back to the JU52 as they do. But I could not bear to put a beautiful piece of design like that in the hands of the baggage handling gorillas. The skin of those cases is not meant to be bounced off Tarmac, and pounded with piled up Samsonites. After a couple of trips the corrugation is bent, buckled and scarred. The once lovely perfection turns into a piece of aircraft wreckage. It must be heart breaking, especially at those prices. Rimowa is for the people who travel in private jets, and who's luggage is gently placed in fur lined holds by butlers with kid skin gloves. The average punter is just a mug for buying that stuff.

Luggage should be tough and ultimately disposable. Prettiness and brand names are folly.

plainpilot11
13th Feb 2014, 01:17
If you're through the US often, get yourself to Costco and get a Costco bag. I've had my "bag" for almost 11 years now. Any problems at all, just return it and walk out of the store with a brand new one. No questions asked. Save your receipt though. I'm on my third bag in 11 years now. Paid 99 bucks 11 years ago. Best 99 bucks I've spent.