PDA

View Full Version : Work in the states for a type rated pilot

power lever
15th May 2002, 16:49
Hi,

What are the chances of a type rated pilot coming over from England and getting some work, contract or full time?

Check 6
15th May 2002, 17:12
We would need more information from you to answer your question.

1. Do you have an appropriate visa to work in the U.S.?
2. Do you have an FAA ATPL?
3. Is your type rating on an FAA ATPL?

Cheers,

power lever
16th May 2002, 19:47
I hold a JAA ATPL and I understand all I need to do is sit the FAA ATPL exams and then a flight test to gain the FAA ATPL.

Would a company be able to sponser me if I have the qualifications and experience on type?

Any thoughts please.

Secret Agent Man 2
17th May 2002, 12:01
Sadly, it is not very likely. (sponsorship, that is)

Most of the regional airlines are looking for excuses to get rid of non-citizen/non-permanent residents and traditionally have been very reluctant to sponsor. Post 9/11 the new "background check" hysteria has taken over. Hard to verify the last ten years of a chap who has been here for three months!

My best friend is a permanent resident from Holland who has been on "personal leave" from a large US regional when the INS wouldn't confirm his status. For three months he has been waiting even after enlisting congressional support. He has lived and flown here for twelve years. To the company's credit, at least they didn't sack him; they are at least giving him the opportunity to sort things out.

It's a big pile of p00p here!