PDA

View Full Version : New terminal at Cambridge; look out Stansted

non-newtonian
15th May 2002, 16:37
Apparently Marshall's have put in a planning application to South Cambs District Council.

They want to build a large new passenger terminal.

This will allow them to handle 737's, so that the budget airlines can add Cambridge to their list.
Sounds perfect for Ryanair.

Marshalls has approached Stansted in past with view to moving whole operation down there;
part of reason (supposedly) was that noise restrictions at Stansted were tougher than restrictions at Cambridge
and Marshalls could not comply.

Once the terminal goes in, no planning control over the number of flights; could be up to 11,000 a year.

Looks as if Stansted is going to have some competition.

AJ
15th May 2002, 17:15
This sounds interesting-especially given large numbers of the student population (and their lecturers) have already taken to using Ryanair and the like for day-trips to Europe during term-time! ;) :eek:

Man-on-the-fence
15th May 2002, 19:04
Our old friend Shh... Noise Abatement will love this :-)

hooplaa
15th May 2002, 20:53
So this where the next runway in the South East has been hiding - like to see what the boy & girls in the TMA would think of increased aluminium tubing being shot at them from yet another direction, challenging would be one word for it

FL310
15th May 2002, 21:03
and have a look at the industry, in particular IT sector, which has settled or is settling just now...Microsoft alone is building a new development centre with a planned 5,000 employees.

Guess even the holiday season may be a massive boost for the airport. Looking at Marshall's history, there is not much which did not develop into a success once they got their hands on it....

Interesting news and a smart move.

Red Four
15th May 2002, 21:09
Pure Speculation, but possibly done hoping the council reject it out of hand, giving them a ready excuse to use the airfield for other things? Very acute housing problems in Cambridge.

andrewc
15th May 2002, 22:36
It would be unwise to take this purely at face value...the
politics at Cambridge are labrynthine and complex.

On the one hand there is a new airport director with
(apparently) a strong track record of commercial development.

On the other 11000 flights per year is far more than the city
will put up with - runway 23 centerlines straight across
Cambridge and while people are generally happy with the
current traffic level of GA & commercial, a jet every 15 minutes
would change that sharpish.

I hope Red Four is wrong as the airport is good for the city
and we need another 10000+ residents like a hole in the head.

To me it sounds like a deliberately high traffic pitch to leave
plenty of room for reduction under negotiation.

-- Andrew

RichT
16th May 2002, 07:10
Marshalls Airport already renamed 'Cambridge City Airport' presumably in a bid to raise it's status.

LGW Vulture
16th May 2002, 08:31
I can confirm that things are definitely on the up @ Cambridge City Airport......

A very forward looking - un-Marshall like - A/P Director with great plans.....look out STN and look out locals!!!!! The Airport is there to stay for a long time yet!

-------------------------------------------------------------

.............If life were only Bizjets!........................

Buster the Bear
16th May 2002, 10:42
Originally the new terminal was to cater for Sucking/Scot airways, some of the routes no longer operate and to facilitate diversions from other airports, mainly Stansted.

Looks like from the thread, that they have grander ideas. I wonder where they will get enough radar controllers to operate H24?

Essex radar could well collapse if Cambridge got significantly busier. If a carrier did move flights from Stansted, the vacated slots would soon be snapped up, thus massively increasing the flow of traffic through the BKY VOR area!

Nopax,thanx
16th May 2002, 12:23
What happened to the whispered proposal to move Marshalls to Alconbury? As owners of Cambridge airport, Marshalls would get £ millions for it, and Alconbury's well placed with rail and road links. It'd suit me, I live five miles from there!!!!!

Buster the Bear
16th May 2002, 18:56
I belive the runway (Hard core) at Alconbury was used to triple lane the A1 around the Peterborough area?

andrewc
16th May 2002, 22:17
Well this issue is well and truely alive locally - today
I received an invitation (through the door) to object
to the proposed airport plans with lists of complaints
and addresses for those complaints to be despatched
towards.

Talk about the blue touchpaper having been lit,

-- Andrew

Cris L
17th May 2002, 11:12
I thought I heard somewhere that Stansted was potentially going to be renamed Cambridge Internataional ?

Can anyone advise ?

Nopax,thanx
17th May 2002, 12:12
Alconbury's hard surfaces are intact - you occasionally get a motoring programme filmed there if they want to chuck a supercar about at high speed. There's even still a USAF presence there; something to do with intelligence....in the USAF!?!?!

woops... here we go again....
:D

Evanelpus
17th May 2002, 12:43
Going back to a previous topic, could it be renamed as London Cambridge airport??

Standard Noise
17th May 2002, 16:27
Only if Ryanair move in!:D :D :D :D