PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth problems.

Fareastdriver
9th Feb 2014, 12:11
I have been running Google Earth on my XP for donkey's years but now it wont run. When it loads a script comes up saying my graphics doesn't support in Open GL mode. It recommendes that I go to Direct X.

I do this and it loads in black with yellow outlines. I have tried everything on it to try and get it to display as it has done for six years but I am not succeeding.

I have reinstalled it twice and it is still the same.

Any ideas?

occasional
11th Feb 2014, 09:57
I had to install an older version of Google Earth from here:

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en&ref_topic=2376075

I think v 6.2 appeared to be the most appropriate version but have a look through the help forums to check that. (and let us know if you come to a different conclusion. )

You also have to disable updates which is to be found in a preferences tag somewhere (possibly under Tools).

Sophiedog
11th Feb 2014, 12:52
Try : Google earth/tools/options/3dview tab, and un-check the "Compress" check box, in the Texture Colors area. Works for me. Good luck.

Fareastdriver
12th Feb 2014, 16:25
Still battling. I tried unchecking the compress box and that didn't work. I have reinstalled it from about five different sources and it always comes up in black with yellow outlines.
Something tells me that it is not uninstalling . The last install I tried took about 0.5 secs to load 180 mb. When I went back to the 3d view tab it was still unchecked, it should have been checked by default on a new winstallation.

The laptop came out of storage three months ago. I erased to M1 standard all the partitions on the hard disc, followed by a full reformat. I then loaded a kosher copy of Windows XP followed by the drivers, AVG and Office, all kosher. XP was upgraded with SP2 & 3 and the IE was upgraded to I believe IE8. I then installed Google Earth, maps, toolbar and all the goodies. Until a week ago everything, but everything, worked fine. Everything still works fine except for this blasted Google Earth.

I am quite prepared to go through the whole thing again if only to get rid of whatever it is that is causing this.

OFSO
12th Feb 2014, 20:16
I failed completely to get GE to run on my XP system. On 7 and 8 it is fine. I'd say "you shouldn't be running XP any more" but I don't want airship to accuse me of being mixture under another name..

Saab Dastard
12th Feb 2014, 21:03
You shouldn't be running XP any more.

And I'm not mixture.

SD

RedhillPhil
12th Feb 2014, 21:26
I've given up on Google earth. It ran fine on my computer but then, with no changes to the programme it just won't load properly being out of focus and "greyed out".
I use Google maps now. Same meat, different gravy.

FullOppositeRudder
12th Feb 2014, 21:41
Agreed. Much more versatile too. I've used it a lot in recent weeks tracking the bushfire wars down here in Aus when I haven't been out there myself. I wish they would desist from superimposing their guess at road locations and position on the screen.