PDA

View Full Version : FlT/LT MALCOLM WILBUR BAKER, RAAF

Fantome
8th Feb 2014, 20:30
Looking for any biographical info on Flight Lieutenant Malcolm Wilbur Baker who was a test pilot in the RAAF during the Second World War. He was attached to the Aircraft Performance Unit with the well known Jim Harper who ended up high up in DCA after the war. Baker came from Harrismith in the wheatbelt of WA. He learned to fly at Maylands in Perth before the war. He was married and may have lived at Moruya in NSW after the war.

Service Number: 406127
Service: Royal Australian Air Force
Conflict: Second World War, 1939-1945
Award: King's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air

There were at least two other flying Bakers from WA who made names for themselves.
One was 'Canonball' Baker who set record flight times in the 30s. Another was Keith Baker who was chief pilot for Bell Brothers in the 60s.

nbaker
19th Jan 2015, 05:21
Malcolm Baker was my uncle, my father Vivien farmed on the original family farm at Harrismith until 1956 when he sold the property and moved to a farm at Williams. The family then moved to Newdegate also farming until 1983. My dad passed away in 1987, Malcolm some years later, he had four boys one of whom is Ian Malcolm Baker, I know Ian well he was the minister for agriculture in the Victorian Kirner government and is married to professor Saunders. There are three other boys Malcolm, Philip and ? as far as I know they still have a high performance engine business in western Sydney known as 'Baker Engineering' or similar you may be able to track down these leads for more information. I do know there is a significant file on Uncle Mal in the Canberra war memorial which I have seen. He is also mentioned in the 'Victory Roll' and the 'Honour Roll'. regards, Noel Baker.