PDA

View Full Version : Halifax:- Request for info

Tiger_mate
8th Feb 2014, 09:01
Gents,

I am painting a Hercules engined Halifax bomber which I had intended to depict preparing to tow a Horsa glider on D-Day ie with invasion stripes.

However I cannot find any photographic evidence that Hercules engined airframes towed on that mission. There are many with Merlin engines, but as you can see below, it is a bit late in the day for that. There are also photographs of Hercules engined aircraft towing at other times / years.

This raises the questions: Is this because of wartime censorship or simply because the fleet lined up at Tarrant Rushdon and Waterbeach with Merlin engined aircraft was a focal point. I need photographs for both integrity and to know which Sqn marking were seen. Any help gratefully received.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/l/t31/1655107_10151931408018483_1651422212_o.jpg

Lynxman
8th Feb 2014, 12:40
I believe there were only two Halifax tug squadrons involved in the D-Day landings, 298 Sqn and 644 Sqn. Both were equipped with Merlin 22 engined Halifax Vs.

Lynxman
8th Feb 2014, 13:51
And both squadrons operated from Tarrant Rushton. Waterbeach was not involved in Airborne operations for D-Day.

nacluv
8th Feb 2014, 13:58
Might be time to change that Horsa for another Halifax, and put them both in suitable 6Grp schemes up in North Yorkshire?

Tiger_mate
8th Feb 2014, 16:18
Guys - thanks for the comments. It looks like I am falling victim to the infamous 5xPs lesson in life, or worse still, a breakdown of ass-u-me (tion)

I had considered replacing the Horsa with another Halifax and the position on the canvas lends itself to this (rear right quarter lined up for departure) but I live close to High Ercall and Tilstock, both of which where WWII glider pilot training locations and in the case of High Ercall in particular, have remained undeveloped ever since. This means that the associated landscape could be an accurate depiction although not as juicy as a high profile Op as initially intended.

26er
8th Feb 2014, 16:28
In the winter 1950 -51 No 6 FTS was temporally deployed to High Ercall from Tern Hill while the runway was resurfaced. The hangars were full of Halifax with radial engines which we sat in pretending to fly, but I can't remember their registrations!

Lynxman
8th Feb 2014, 18:09
Action Stations 3 by David J Smith makes no mention of any association with glider pilot training at High Ercall. Halifaxes were never based there, only flown in for storage and eventual scrapping.
Halifax IIIs and Vs were operated by 1665 Conversion Unit, part of 38 Group, at Tilstock from Sep 44 and Oct 44 respectively coded OG (C Flight?) along with Stirlings to convert crews for Airborne Forces squadrons.

Tiger_mate
8th Feb 2014, 18:54
My understanding is that all Shropshire bases were involved in Horsa training with Tilstock as the hub. Tilstock departures to land as far away as Cosford and eventually be recovered by further aerotow. Therefore not being based at these units is not indicative in itself of who operated there. Tilstock is famous for having a Stirling tug overshoot and turn onto the A49 Shrewsbury Road. The most unspoilt of the airfields is High Ercall, although the origins of Sleap are also clear to see. There are photographs on the net of Horsas being towed by radial engined Halifax. Not many of Hotspur or the tank carrying glider Hamilcar.

nacluv
9th Feb 2014, 18:33
...but I live close to High Ercall and Tilstock...

I used to live in Shawbirch, near Admaston. High Ercall was less than 5 minutes away from me.

Sorry I can't give you any more info on the glider tugs. A bit before my time there!

Tiger_mate
9th Feb 2014, 20:12
I now have the book "Shropshire Airfields" by Toby Neal which does nothing to strengthen the High Ercall case, although it does raise the profile of Sleap in addition to Tilstock WRT Glider Ops & Trg.

Interestingly I noticed yesterday that the ATC tower at Tilstock, neglected for decades, is now covered in scaffolding. Not usually indicative of destruction, so perhaps a second life awaits after all these years.

The one thing High Ercall does have going for it is that frequently bombers unable to land in East Anglia or Yorkshire diverted in due to weather.

Old-Duffer
10th Feb 2014, 15:49
I think you will find that at the end of the war, High Ercall was designated as a salvage unit for Halifax aircraft which were no longer required. Significant numbers were sent there for scrapping/spares recovery.

Old Duffer

Fareastdriver
10th Feb 2014, 18:26
High Ercall was designated as a salvage unit for Halifax aircraft
,,,,,,,,,,and later on, Spitfires.

teeteringhead
13th Feb 2014, 17:38
ATC tower at Tilstock, neglected for decades, is now covered in scaffolding

Perhaps it will become a Des Res like the one at Hinstock?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01064/property-graphics-_1064110a.jpg

Tiger_mate
31st Mar 2014, 16:52
I didnt get the answer I was looking for, so the whole composition had to change. Still not finished, but I am pleased with where it is headed:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2014/984204-FB31Mar14.jpg

Thinking of making it a 462 Sqn RAAF Radio Countermeasures aircraft now; a role which has not been given much if any attention in aviation art.