PDA

View Full Version : Re my Black Armor problems mentioned on SHJs' thread.

Loose rivets
7th Feb 2014, 17:39
Seagate Black Armor 1TB network drive failed around the time AT&T replaced my Motorola U-verse NVG510 because of a suspected fault. Coincidence, or just not seeing the new router?

As mentioned, I have a 10 digit Device Access Code on the same Motorola label that the WEP is on. I was able to look at the devices - it was a huge list. I cleared that list and let it search for my current kit. Rob's computer. (hard wired) Rivetess' computer and the Black Armor backup drive is all I expected to see. The entire darn list came back with all the stuff OFF except for the named kit above.

I read somewhere it (the router) remembers all this stuff and puts it back anyway. I can't even delete one at a time. :ugh:

The router's IP is 192.168.1.254

The thing is, I can access the contents of the Black Armor using my Windows Explorer but both the warning lights and the Seagate management software show the drive to have "Failed".

So, the drive still works after a fashion, and it seems oddly intelligent. It shows its blue lights and then starts blinking as does the modem. After talking to each other, the Seagate shows amber lights.

Also, the drive letter assigned to the net drive shows failed. Only Explorer lets me see in. Giving the drive another letter only works for one session.

I just don't know, but that drive does not seem to be failed. Just not talking to the router properly. Any ideas?

Mac the Knife
9th Feb 2014, 21:22
Can you SSH into it (or Telnet :E)?

Guest 112233
9th Feb 2014, 21:51
If you are using Windows - You can SSH using a useful program called Putty or ExtraPutty, it depends on which flavour of Win you are using Vista and later, you will need ExtraPutty, (its free by the way)

I use it to SSh with my Pi. on port 22.

CAT III

Tech Edit: are you using EMET by any chance, Enhanced mitigation tool kit from Microsoft: ? - in one of its forms.- i've had probs with FF connected to a BT HH3 - Note it might be releven, obviously not a NAS Situation.

Saab Dastard
10th Feb 2014, 11:02
You can SSH using a useful program called Putty or ExtraPutty, it depends on which flavour of Win you are using Vista and later, you will need ExtraPutty

Eh? Putty works just fine on Windows Vista and 7.

SD

Loose rivets
10th Feb 2014, 21:15
I had a quick look at Putty, but it's way above my head. One tutorial lost me in a moment. But that was probably because I have no idea what I'm trying to achieve.

As mentioned, I can access the Black Armor drive. Today I spent a precious spare moment sending a photo from my laptop and and then pulling it onto my PC. No problems. The entire reason for my concern is the Seagate software doing things I don't understand, and reporting that the drive has failed.

I can only assume it no longer backs up my computer automatically. Not bothered about that, it's just the irksome worry that the message heralds a real hardware failure.

The AT&T guy called me this morning and implied he was, as requested, looking for my old router. There's just that chance the changeover caused the problem and I want to eliminate that.

Terrible stress here at the rivets towers. Folks coming to see the house and tools and sawdust everywhere. temp has gone from 3c to 30c in two days, all with the front doorframe out. What's more, this watch fettling idea of mine looks like it might make some much needed money, but it's the single most demanding thing I've ever done, but utterly absorbing. As technicians, if you haven't seen it on JB, take a peek at this four engine Seiko. It's my model. The one that started it all off. Supreme bit of kit. Looks so easy - until reaching some screws that have to be teased round with a needle.

Topic: Inside the 7A38 - Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers (http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7517616-inside-the-7a38)

Mac the Knife
12th Feb 2014, 11:45
I notice that you had some problems with tiny parts getting magnetised.

We sometimes have the same with our micro-instruments.

Solution is a tape-head demagnetiser (anyone remember those?)

Mac

:ok:

Loose rivets
12th Feb 2014, 13:16
Funny you should say that. I have here a Geneva bulk eraser. One would have to be very careful just how near one put stuff. No coils or magnetic rotors of course, and I think the floppy disc of PCB would suffer global fusing. :rolleyes:

It weighs in at 5kg, so one would expect a bit of oomph.

Oh, by the way technical type people. A charming old watchmaker told me yesterday of a conductive epoxy. Thy used to try to repair coils after non-qualified people ruined them while changing batteries. He abandoned the stuff, but it's significant as I see the coils on these watches terminated with a clear substance. I can see no sign of soldering. The windings, some 6mm long offer 2.6k DC resistance which means very delicate wire.

P.S. I claim the prize for the greatest thread drift in the computer forum history. :O

Seiko7A38
12th Feb 2014, 23:34
I'll vouch for that, Rob. :p

You've even got your own personal minder / moderator. :cool:

Login - Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers (http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/profile/123663120/)