View Full Version : Things are looking up in the jobmarket

foghorn
15th May 2002, 14:08
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just spoken to one of my friends who was made redundant by a UK airline post Sep-11. He is over the moon as he has just got the magic call from his former employer asking him to come back and fly for them.

So things are starting to move. Companies are realising that they overreacted post Sep-11. This is the first glimmer of light from the end of the tunnel.

Cheers!
Cheerful foggy:) :) :)

GonvilleBromhead
15th May 2002, 14:15
Good to hear. Any chance of mentioning which airline Fog ? Just out of curiosity to be honest.

foghorn
16th May 2002, 13:43
Sorry GB, I don't want to give that away as of now as I don't want to jeopardise the guy's job - airline management read this site as well!

cheers!
foggy

GonvilleBromhead
16th May 2002, 14:09
Aye, no probs. Good news though, always welcome.

scroggs
16th May 2002, 18:36
I'd love to know why revealing the airline would jeopardise your friend's recall! As you haven't told us his name, and we may assume that he's not the only recallee of that airline, we surely couldn't identify him. And why should the information that an airline is recalling be in any way sensitive?

I'm quite happy to 'announce' that Virgin has been steadily recalling laid-off pilots for the last two months. The line has moved below about 40 who had been made, or expected to be made, unemployed, and they are now looking forward to a renewed future with the airline. Hopefully many more will be recalled, although there's a long way to go before the entire 160-odd lost pilots are regained (and the 90 or so FEs who never will be....).

Things are improving, but it's a slow and incremental process.

power lever
16th May 2002, 19:58
hey Scroggs,

How many pilots are still waiting to get back in to Virgin...I hear things along the lines that they may need crew in the near future!!!!! Any thoughts.

foghorn
16th May 2002, 20:33
Scroggs,

As they used to say in the war, 'Careless talk costs lives'.

Suffice it to say it's a small airline, and (given the small number of people who were originally laid off) few will be taken back on.

I'm still not going to say what airline. People will find out, in due course, probably from the recallees themselves. I for one do not want to spoil that by lose talk, no matter how insignificant or trivial it may seem at the time. I owe that to my friend who has spent the last ten years trying to get into the airlines.

I'm happy to tell you by e-mail to prove that I'm not making this up!

cheers!
foggy.

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th May 2002, 08:48
Foggy, fair enough.

On the flip side, 22 flying instructors laid off at OATS with the propect of closure in the Autumn. :(

paddy_22002
17th May 2002, 09:52
WWW.

Any chance you can give any more information on your last post.

Thanks,

Paddy

scroggs
17th May 2002, 18:52
powerlever

Hmm... I wouldn't have thought the maths was that difficult that you need me to explain it, but here goes. 160 pilots laid off, 40 recalled or reprieved. That, by my calculation, leaves 120. Which is not an insignificant number, and would suggest that it will be some considerable time before any recruiting could take place. So don't hold your breath!

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th May 2002, 19:08
Paddy - 22 instructors have been layed off by OATS since 911. Many of them part timers.

The company that owns OATS - it is rumoured - have asked for the flying operation to make money by the Autumn. A not unreasonable requirement AND ONE THAT I would imagine they will achieve.

They have lots of students, no fat and a busy summer training schedule ahead of them.

I am intolerant of people idly posting about OATS demise.

Its fair enough to put down here rumours and speculation that actually is prevelant in the industry. Mindless OATS bashing is not.

power lever
17th May 2002, 20:53
Hey scroggs,

Thanks for the maths lesson. By the way, sarcasm is the lowest from of wit.:p

easondown
17th May 2002, 21:33
sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but its the highest form of entertainment.:D