PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access Pprune Chat

ETOPS
15th May 2002, 13:12
I'm puzzled about this one. Have been logging on to Chat without probs until recently. But now as soon as I click on the Nav bar I see the Digi chat login page for about half a second which is then replaced by the white "The page cannot be displayed" windows error message. At the foot it is says " Cannot access server or DNS error"
As my Pprune browsing is otherwise OK and my laptop (when connected) gets chat straight away I feel it must be a PC problem.
I've been through as many settings as I can find and checked cookies etc to no avail.

Help!

ETOPS
17th May 2002, 19:15
Back to the top!

Any ideas?

FL310
17th May 2002, 19:33
how long does it take to come to the 1/2 second display...may be a time-out problem.

gofer
18th May 2002, 05:57
So what did you change in the mean time ?

Did you go for a web washer or an ad killer or something of that ilk ??

If nothing has changed it will work - its a machine not a person - so figure out what changed in the mean time. It could be something stupid like a software update, whatever.

Good luck...:confused:

MasterGreen
18th May 2002, 06:12
Force a full REFRESH on the page with [CTRL] + [Refresh] (button on taskbar). This usually flushes out a duff page in cache.

I have found this to be a solution at times. The problem is that the cached page is indicating the same on its' date/time/size stamp, but it is flawed for some reason. Then even if you change the update options it (the file copy) may still be made active by explorer until you force a full flush - particularly on a slow line.

Likewise your ISP cache pages also and the same scenario applies in their server. This can take a couple more attemps on the [CNTRL][REFRESH] but it does apparently get cleared eventually.

Get back here if this is the case because I have just managed to clear a totally baffling problem of a very similar nature (Radio Player to a NZ Radio Station). Two other machines were fine on Dial Up, but my ADSL machine refused to work and kept locking up. Reloaded Explorer twice and went to a backup eventually when an Explorer reload failed to take (bas%ard). Then it was still not working. 4 hits on the full refresh later and Bob's yer Antie - really wierd. My guess now is that the bad copy (Java applett in this case) was on the ISP server - which is obviously a different cache on Dial Up to DSL.

This may just help

MG

ETOPS
19th May 2002, 16:09
Thanks for that - no go I'm afraid. However the info about "something" having changed leads me to wonder if I have inadvertently clicked on a "yes" when I should have said no.

The investigation continues......