PDA

View Full Version : career and pensions

airjet
5th Feb 2014, 13:23
I am NOT a fan of Micheal Moore, but I saw a video of some interviews by him of a few pilots. In which some facts about monies paid to pilots today and also pensions paid out, were discussed, it was an eye opener, example -a girl copilot flying for a regional after 4 years making 17,000 a year take home, my daughter is a "food and beverage" manager at a local hotel and makes twice that. A capt after 40 years flying, his pension, 300$ a year, above the "poverty line"????
And all this while a looming worldwide shortage of pilots, because thousands of "baby boomers" (like me) are retiring, when I started flying (1966) being a pilot was all I ever wanted to be, but now it seems it may be a good idea to have pilot-less aircraft :(.

jaytee54
5th Feb 2014, 15:43
Early this morning I was flying a B757 into Heathrow (from N Europe). Having taken off with company policy minimum fuel, I was told by ATC to enter the hold for 15 minutes. So I put the hold in the FMC, and worked out that the fuel was just adequate.
When I woke up I was Sssooooo pleased to remember that I retired 9 years ago.

The strange thing was that I didn't have a copilot for some reason, and after entering the hold I left the cockpit, and walked along to the crew room for a chat. Is this a premonition of the days of pilotless airliners? If so I don't want to fly on one, because I think I forgot to go back for the landing.

acbus1
9th Feb 2014, 10:49
The opening post isn't at all representative of the situation in the UK.

In the UK, successive Governments are doing their utmost to completely destroy Private Sector pensions.

...and for a change, they appear to be quite competent at something.

CaptainProp
9th Feb 2014, 22:15
Pensions, especially state pensions, will soon be a thing of the past. Private savings and various investments will be the only way for some of us to have any chance at all to ever retire. For most there will be no way, in the traditional sense, of retiring at all.