PDA

View Full Version : Castaway fisherman

SpringHeeledJack
5th Feb 2014, 07:09
Castaway from Mexico: 'We can't wait to throw him a party', say fishermen friends - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/mexico/10617994/Castaway-from-Mexico-We-cant-wait-to-throw-him-a-party-say-fishermen-friends.html)

When I first read of this a week ago, my reaction was like most peoples one of awe and admiration in the resilience of human spirit. However, since I have seen photos of the chap something just doesn't seem/feel right about him, He seems way too 'healthy' and his face is very well padded and undamaged bearing in mind he has spent well over a year exposed to salt spray, blistering sun and permanent dehydration, and minimal raw fish and turtle. Having been in a situation whereby minimal calories were consumed for only a month, one's body became very thin, yet mr fisherman looks more than well fed, if somewhat bedraggled. Perhaps St Peter was keeping an eye on him during his Pacific Ocean odyssey ?

SHJ

TWT
5th Feb 2014, 07:14
It could be true.But how did he catch turtles,fish and birds with his bare hands ?There was no fishing gear onboard when it arrived at the Marshall Islands.Could it be a scheme hatched to make some cash out of exclusive media interviews ? Who knows.

Blacksheep
5th Feb 2014, 12:35
He seems way too 'healthy' and his face is very well paddedThere were two of them in that boat when they went fishing. One wonders what happened to his companion? :suspect:

Mariner9
5th Feb 2014, 12:44
Why hasn't he posted on the Survival Tips thread :confused:

Deaf
5th Feb 2014, 12:47
Douglas Mawson comes to mind also R v Dudley and Stephens:

R v Dudley and Stephens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Dudley_and_Stephens)

SpringHeeledJack
5th Feb 2014, 13:20
There were two of them in that boat when they went fishing. One wonders what happened to his companion?

Indeed, it doesn't look too good for the other chap does it ? How did he survivor stay IN the boat which was (I believe) open to the elements ? I'm sure that the waves didn't stay friendly for the whole year or more and boats roll and pitch. He had nothing to cut except his teeth, yet he appears to have fed himself more than adequately with teeth that must have come loose due to malnutrition. Think of all the vitamins and minerals that he wouldn't have ingested in that time that would have had an adverse effect on his body and yet he survived and yet he seems well padded......

SHJ

Ancient Mariner
5th Feb 2014, 13:37
Did 15 days without food once, only 20 grams of boiled water hour to keep kidneys working. Slim when I started, skinny and almost unable to walk when finished. Must be said, all 15 days spent in the bunk.
Descending the pilot's ladder from a half-laden 50.000 dwt bulk carrier has been more fun on other occasions. :eek:
Do I believe this guy? Nope.
Per

Evanelpus
5th Feb 2014, 13:41
A con, pure and simple designed to get money from gullible press agencies for this fanciful story (with the emphasis on the word story):=

Limeygal
5th Feb 2014, 13:43
How did he get the turtles out of their shells-with his bare hands? Something fishy going on here :)

SpringHeeledJack
5th Feb 2014, 14:01
How did he get the turtles out of their shells-with his bare hands? Something fishy going on here

Turtle Recall ?

SHJ