PDA

View Full Version : Solar Powered Rotary-Wing UAV

zero_cool07
4th Feb 2014, 22:11
Hi guys,

Thought this was the most appropriate place to post this. We are currently in the process of designing and manufacturing a purely solar powered rotary-wing UAV as a University project.

We would appreciate it if you could stop over, have a look at our page (https://www.facebook.com/SOLARVIII), offer suggestions on aspects of the design. If you like what you see, please click the like button, it will really help us!

Many thanks in advance

awblain
4th Feb 2014, 22:45
Isn't there a tension between the maximum power of about 300W per square meter available from the sun and the minimum of about 100kW required to fly a small helicopter?

It looks from the pictures that you're making something with a 50-cm diameter rotor, which seems to be in a different ballpark, but I'm suspicious that there could still be a substantial factor missing, especially if you want something that holds its own against the wind.

cattletruck
4th Feb 2014, 23:05
As long as you don't need it on cloudy days or at night I think it will appeal to all good fair weather pilots :rolleyes:.

Wiggins61
4th Feb 2014, 23:14
You are wasting your time with a single rotor. Multi rotor iss the only way to go.

onetrack
5th Feb 2014, 02:10
I fail to see how clicking a "Like" button on Farcebook is going to help you design a new solar-powered rotary-wing aircraft. :confused: