PDA

View Full Version : SuperBowl - who are they ??

Hussar 54
2nd Feb 2014, 23:21
Watching the SuperBowl tonight....

Don't really follow / understand the sport, and neither do the guys here in the bar, but a question for our American posters on here....

By our estimate, there are maybe 200 ( at least ) people on each touchline, most of whom are not players....So the question is - who are they / what do they all do / are they actually part of the two teams who are playing ?? Or just freeloaders and ' I'm important, too ' employees of the the two clubs ??

And what's with all the ' waterboys ' ? Are these hunks so precious that they can't be ars*ed to pick up a bottle themselves to get a drink ??

Good spectacle, though....

500N
2nd Feb 2014, 23:26
"And what's with all the ' waterboys ' ? Are these hunks so precious that they can't be ars*ed to pick up a bottle themselves to get a drink ??"

Of course they are, they need "padding" to stop themselves getting hurt :O

Real men play Rugby or AFL (Aussie Rules) ;)

Two's in
3rd Feb 2014, 00:54
Obviously it's not just you confused over what everyone does in an NFL team as apparently only one team bothered showing up tonight. But it's not quite over yet...

11Fan
3rd Feb 2014, 01:00
....aparently only one team bothered showing up tonight.

So far it appears to be the Seattle Seahawks against Denver Middle School.

421dog
3rd Feb 2014, 01:03
Yeah, it's pretty much over.
Jeeze. A SAFETY?????
Somebody must have made a heck of a lot in Vegas on that one.

They're obviously smoking too much weed in Denver.

Sea just scored again. This is just embarrassing.

421dog
3rd Feb 2014, 01:07
And bob Dylan has sold his soul for a few bailed out shekels....

SASless
3rd Feb 2014, 01:25
To think.....the NFL is a Tax Exempt business!:mad:

Two's in
3rd Feb 2014, 01:27
Denver's complete lack of performance shouldn't take anything away from Seattle's superior skills tonight. Anyone who can make a win against the Broncos look this easy must be pretty good. Now 43-8!

500N
3rd Feb 2014, 01:32
" To think.....the NFL is a Tax Exempt business!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif"

A multi billion one at that !

11Fan
3rd Feb 2014, 01:36
Now it's just a matter of running out the clock.

Um... lifting...
3rd Feb 2014, 01:43
Bob Dylan's soul has been mortgaged for decades.

Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.
Eugene McCarthy
US politician (1916 - 2005)

It is a bizarre game. An NFL team roster can run somewhere up around 80 or thereabouts. When you consider that there 11 people on the field per side at any given time, it does seem a bit excessive.

There are also about a dozen coaches, numerous trainers, assistants, and various other hangers-on, so the sidelines are indeed packed.

Caboclo
3rd Feb 2014, 01:44
Re the OP: they are coaches, assistant coaches, doctors... Each position has it's own coach; not sure, maybe each player does too.

Nervous SLF
3rd Feb 2014, 02:33
Did Floyd Mayweather Really Bet Over $10 Million On Broncos Super Bowl Win? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/floyd-mayweather-betting_n_4696513.html)

IF true I wonder IF he has brain damage from all his fights ?

Re numbers of actual players, I think the final roster is a total of 53 active players but I could well be wrong.

pigboat
3rd Feb 2014, 03:04
Wonder if the Broncos made the spread? :D

BlueDiamond
3rd Feb 2014, 04:07
I thought it was something to do with cricket. You know ... Super Six, Super Bowl ... :E

obgraham
3rd Feb 2014, 15:24
NFL teams can dress 45 players on game day. That makes 2 for each position (11 defense, 11 offense) and a kicker.
The total team list in the season is 53. Needed to take care of short term injuries.
The actual total number of players is around 80. Some are to draw from in longer term injury states, some just haven't made the final list yet.
Then there are the myriad trainers, coaches, waterboys, psychologists, therapists, ego-strokers, etc.
Finally there are a bunch of hangers-on. Former players. Rich acquaintances of the owner. Guys in big furry coats.

It's a crowded place on the sidelines. A minority there are actual players.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Feb 2014, 15:55
I didn't watch it. Did they have some awful woman murdering your very fine and inspirational national anthem again? Cant imagine why they just dont get someone to sing it straight - that's all it needs.

ruddman
3rd Feb 2014, 16:02
I'm with 500N on this one.

Who plays football with pads and helmets? :eek: Here in Australia we'd call that 'soft'.

Even more embarrassing is when the quarterback runs diagonally over the sideline to avoid getting tackled. Poor little darling. The big bad padded players might grab him huh? Don't want to get hurt?

:hmm:

Most overrated football game on the planet.

Alloa Akbar
3rd Feb 2014, 16:05
Who cares who everyone is.. I just want to know who THESE lot are.. :O

http://www.getrealfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/denver-broncos-cheerleaders-2013-672x372.jpg

and not forgetting the Seahawks..

http://www.1800-sports.com/images/seattle-seahawks-sexy-cheerleaders.jpg

Yep.. I love American Football (Sometimes!)

BenThere
3rd Feb 2014, 16:37
I predicted the wrong team every time from the quarterfinals to the Superbowl. 100% wrong. Fortunately it only cost me $21.

obgraham
3rd Feb 2014, 18:42
Did they have some awful woman murdering your very fine and inspirational national anthem again?Yes indeed they did. After so many "popular" singers messed around with it, they brought in a "real singer", Renee Fleming, who is indeed easy on the eyes..
Who proceeded to drag it out like a dirge, then shriek at the end.

Like you said. It's the nation's song, not your personal statement. Just sing the damn thing.

500N
3rd Feb 2014, 18:49
We have the same problem with our national anthem.

As said before, they all seem to want to make a personal statement out of it.

tdracer
3rd Feb 2014, 18:49
Did they have some awful woman murdering your very fine and inspirational national anthem again?

Actually, the young lady who sang the anthem did a wonderful job. I didn't recognize the name but she had a wonderful, somewhat operatic voice and she absolutely nailed it. One of the best renditions of the national anthem I've ever heard.:ok:

As a long time Bronco's fan, it was pretty much the highlight of the game :O

ruddman
3rd Feb 2014, 18:54
Personally I think the national anthem is the biggest joke of all at sporting games. Such a time waster. Means nothing.

Blow the damn whistle and play the game!!!

Groundgripper
3rd Feb 2014, 18:54
I must admit that I always video it and then fast forward through the anthem because of the exaggerated way it is usually performed (and the half-time 'entertainment'), but it did cause me a deal of amusement when after ten seconds of play the ball Manning was expecting to be delivered to his hands went whistling past his right ear and to see the momentary 'where did that go?' look on his face.:E

GG

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Feb 2014, 22:09
As a long time Bronco's fan

Now you know what it feels like to be an Accrington Stanley fan

("Who are they?",
"Exactly!")

SARF
3rd Feb 2014, 22:29
ludicrous sport! mind you i loved it when channel four first started showing it in the early in the early 80's ? i was a big giants fan .. i used to be able to name at least half that super bowl defence..
all i can remember now is 56 lawrence taylor!

Nervous SLF
4th Feb 2014, 01:14
http://lilhub.com/man-loses-7-million-after-the-broncos-lost

Another reason NOT to bet on sporting events :ok:

11Fan
4th Feb 2014, 02:30
For some reason, my anti-virus went off on that link SLF.