PDA

View Full Version : Can a plane land in 30mph winds

Browners
1st Feb 2014, 11:52
Nervous flyer here and off to Belfast International on Monday where winds are forecast to be 30mph when I land. Will these cause a problem other than being bumpy?

One Outsider
1st Feb 2014, 12:03
Can a plane land in 30mph windsYes it can. You have nothing to worry about. I now yield the floor to the inevitable sciolists.

PAXboy
1st Feb 2014, 13:08
Every aircraft has limits of wind, runway, their weight and so on. If these limits are exceeded, then the aircraft will divert to another airfield that is within limits. If the crew failed to do this they would be in big trouble with their Chief pilot.

Sometimes, when approaching in a strong wind, the Captain might decided to not land and this could happen when only a minute or two away. But this OK - because it means they are taking the safe option. At the time it can seem upsetting - as the aircraft will stop decending, the engines will go to higher speed and you will move back up. that is all normal and, shortly, the flight deck crew will tell you about it. This is normall and happens every day all around the world.

ShyTorque
1st Feb 2014, 14:00
30 mph winds are nothing to worry about.

Exascot
1st Feb 2014, 14:11
A 'plane', a hammer or even a chisel will land in 30mph winds :}

DX Wombat
1st Feb 2014, 15:55
One of the nicest landings I have experienced was flying into Perth, West Oz which has a reputation for interesting winds, when there was a crosswind of 32kts (approx 36mph). :ok:

Browners
2nd Feb 2014, 00:08
Thanks all for the replies. Feel a bit more reassured now.