PDA

View Full Version : Guardian HDD destruction

Basil
31st Jan 2014, 15:16
Revealed: the day Guardian destroyed Snowden hard drives under watchful eye of GCHQ - video | World news | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jan/31/snowden-files-computer-destroyed-guardian-gchq-basement-video)

Why did the poor old motherboard get a going over?
All the angle grinder stuff really is a bit of grandstanding.
One HDD seemed to have the top side of the top disc trashed; what about the rest of it?

Seems to me that they made a big show of the wrong bits.

In any case, if the GCHQ types had just carried out a format/overwrite/format that would have pretty much achieved THEIR aim.

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 15:19
Basil,

Simple. Because the usual simple boring government way of just sticking drives through industrial shredders would not sell newspapers. :E

So the Grauniad wanted to make a big show and dance, because quite honestly thats all the destruction of a couple of physical drives would be ... just one big show. GCHQ would be more interested in making sure things weren't hiding elsewhere on the Grauniad network and I suspect separate discussions were held with the Grauniad IT department over that.

Mac the Knife
1st Feb 2014, 11:57
And they didn't image them beforehand?

All that farce of destroying the computer PCBs?

A ridiculous coup de theatre for idiots!

Mac

:*

MacBoero
2nd Feb 2014, 08:56
Actually is it more likely as a result of having to comply with government approved techniques for sanitising machines. The problem with motherboards these days is they usually have flash memory soldered onto them. These cannot be wiped so the only approved method involves destruction. Even RAM modules don't escape being 'processed'. At the very least they have to be subjected to full MEMTEST passes, and then powered down for a minimum of 24 hours (or something like that). Hard disks have to be wiped using approved software like Blancco. The problem is that the RAM and Harddisk processing I have just mentioned only brings the classification down from secret to restricted, and even restricted material has to be tightly controlled as assets. The Guardian might not have had approved processes for the handling of government UK restricted material, let alone UK secret, and therefore the only option was destruction as you have seen.

llondel
2nd Feb 2014, 18:16
It was all security theatre. If the government bods didn't understand that there were other copies of the data beyond their reach then they shouldn't be in the job. Personally, I think the Guardian was having a laugh at their expense. For all we know, they already had an SD card with a copy of the data safely taped to the underside of a desk and just put it onto a new machine when the government guys left.