PDA

View Full Version : A Nobel prize winner, or just a kid?

Loose rivets
31st Jan 2014, 00:45
I just can't believe this could be solid science or the world would have stopped and been looking at him. It's the cancer that's the most deadly - I think - so how can this not be world news?

BBC - Future - Health - The teenage scientist revolutionising cancer detection (http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130701-perfecting-early-cancer-detection)

Nemrytter
31st Jan 2014, 01:01
I'll be more impressed when he stops self-promoting and actually publishes his work in a fashion where it can be critiqued by others in the field.
It surprises me that as yet he has not, and apparently will not, get it published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Loose rivets
31st Jan 2014, 01:11
Can you publish when you're not a PhD?

Nemrytter
31st Jan 2014, 01:21
Of course you can. In the past I've had undergrad students that managed to publish papers.
If the claims this guy is making are true then it shouldn't be any harder for him to get them published than anyone else, particularly as he says he has the backing of a professor. They should be able to advise him and assist with the writing.

unstable load
31st Jan 2014, 04:57
On a positive note if he's so reluctant to publish, there's bound to be someone out there who is busy questioning him and his idea in a lab and doubtless THEY WILL publish if he hasn't yet done so.....and PATENT if necessary.
In the interests of Science, naturally.....

stagger
31st Jan 2014, 08:07
I've had a quick look at the science behind this.

The idea of using mesothelin as a biomarker for cancer is not new.

Previous research that HAS been published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal has shown that there is so much overlap in mesothelin levels between people with and without cancer that it isn't much good as a diagnostic test.

Serum mesothelin and megakaryocyte potenti... [Clin Chem Lab Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22149739)

Note the last sentence...

"Both biomarkers were not elevated in patients with pancreatic or biliary cancers, and consequently do not appear to be useful biomarkers for these malignancies."

If this is true - then even a new, cheap, highly sensitive new test won't help.

He may be a very clever kid - who will do great things in the future - but this particular test doesn't look like it's going to be a success. But until his work is published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal we won't know for sure.

DX Wombat
31st Jan 2014, 10:43
The link is invalid in the UK.

cockney steve
31st Jan 2014, 13:16
^^^^^^^ that's 'cos it's published by a wholly-owned BBC subsidiary, therefore, unlike the BeeB itself, is not funded by licecce payers.....so if you subscribe to the BeeB gravy-train, tough titty, different compant, hogs at the trough get another slice of admin expense.

Glad I don't have a telly, don't support the greedy swine.

(yup, swine is the plural of swine! )

500N
31st Jan 2014, 13:20
The best "review" is if he detects cancer in someone that other tests haven't picked up, and then does it again ad again, as do other doctors, then it will have
been reviewed as being correct and successful.

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Jan 2014, 17:26
In the past I've had undergrad students that managed to publish papers.
Yup. My kids seem to manage it.

BenThere
31st Jan 2014, 17:28
Those who have moved the world forward tend to come from outside the establishment, Jesus, for example.

FlyMD
31st Jan 2014, 17:47
Jesus? Wholly unimpressed with his contributions to carpentry...

BenThere
31st Jan 2014, 18:02
Me, too. But that's not why I like him.

John Hill
31st Jan 2014, 18:17
Carpentry, maybe not but he invented a lot of the parts used on helicopters!

con-pilot
31st Jan 2014, 18:56
Carpentry, maybe not but he invented a lot of the parts used on helicopters!

Now that is funny! :D:D

Loose rivets
31st Jan 2014, 19:49
It certainly made me laugh, but I have no idea why. :uhoh:

Ascend Charlie
31st Jan 2014, 21:38
outside the establishment, Jesus, for example.

OUTSIDE the establishment?? His daddy owned the business! With parents as famous as his were, it's no wonder he dropped out for 32 years.