PDA

View Full Version : Artifical sweeteners

mrangryofwarlingham
30th Jan 2014, 10:09
wonder if any one can help with perhaps a strange question.

is it possible that by using certain sweeteners, I am actually giving myself a craving for sweet foods instead, and if I used real sugar in my tea / coffee then i would be consuming less calories overall when i take into account the sweeties I have eaten following a sweetener induced craving?

sitigeltfel
30th Jan 2014, 10:13
I would have thought that sweeteners were used by people who already had a craving for the real stuff and were trying to wean themselves off it? Like nicotine patches etc.

UniFoxOs
30th Jan 2014, 10:33
I have seen it suggested that using artificial sweeteners educates your body to expect this type of food, and when it does not get it at the time, will cause a need for it later. See LINK (http://empoweredsustenance.com/is-stevia-bad-for-you/).

If you must use non-sugar sweeteners I would still want to use Stevia, which is probably more natural than the rest.

500N
30th Jan 2014, 10:38
mrangry

I can't tell you about artificial sweeteners as I don't like the taste of them
so don't use them.

However, if you are trying to cut down calorie intake via eating less sugar,
a suggestion for you.

I drink heaps of coffee, white two sugars every day.

Recently, I have when disciplined cut back on sugar by only having
1 1/2 or 1 and after a while, even none - and it wasn't too bad because
my body had got used to the slightly less sweet taste.

I also lost weight when doing it !!!

Anyway, hope that is of interest to you.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Jan 2014, 11:09
Artificial sweeteners are the devils powder, even more damaging than unrefined white sugar. If it were me I'd stick to sugar and demerara at that, as many 'brown' sugars are refined sugar that has been derived from cane sugar and then dyed brown again :hmm: to satisfy the market. Have you thought of putting honey in your drinks/food. There are other honey like syrups that can be perused in a health food shop if so desired.

I have, through trial and error come to the conclusion that with food and drink it's better to consume the real mc Coy and in general you will be satisfied and be unlikely to over indulge. Low-fat/no fat/sugar free etc are all massive cons by the ever ingenious and manipulative food industry.

SHJ

OFSO
30th Jan 2014, 13:01
I was sitting on a bench on one of the seven hills of Rome, waiting for the wife (probably mine, but it's a long time ago) to finish shopping on the Via Veneto, and idly observing an ants nest at my feet. They were carrying crumbs of biscuit down to the depths of their underground town, so I tossed in a saccharine tablet, thinking they'd enjoy it. About five minutes later a half-dozen of the little blighters climbed back up, carrying the saccharine tablet, and threw it away, some distance from the nest opening.

Good sense, ants !

MagnusP
30th Jan 2014, 13:13
And then there are the stories of the mad diet-fad bitches in California who were putting saccharin in the hummingbird feeders because sugar was bad for them. Cue hummingbird malnutrition. Feckwits. :ugh:

Capetonian
30th Jan 2014, 13:42
About five minutes later a half-dozen of the little blighters climbed back up, carrying the saccharine tablet, and threw it away, some distance from the nest openingWhich proves that ants are a lot smarter than most humans! Saccharine and other artificial sweeteners are an invention of the devil. We are more or less a non-sugar household. I keep a small amount of demerara sugar for cooking and the occasional visitor who likes to spoil the taste of tea and coffee with the stuff.

purplehelmet
30th Jan 2014, 13:51
I gave up using sweeteners some time ago after about a year of taking them in coffee instead of sugar, id read about some of the side effects linked to them, one of which was aching joints, id noticed that my elbow joints had been aching for some time and could be quite painful at times, I switched to brown sugar and a few weeks later the aching and pain had gone, coincidence maybe but i'll happily stick with brown sugar.

Lonewolf_50
30th Jan 2014, 14:42
Recommend agave nectar (it's more like a syrup than like honey, in consistency) as a sub for sugar. It's sweet, lower calorie density than sugar, and made from the same plant as is used to make tequila. :ok:

Um... lifting...
30th Jan 2014, 15:34
There's probably a quartermaster ant just a bit downhole with a clipboard and a green visor directing the storage of all & sundry.

"What's this stuff? Pah! Saccharine. Awa' wi' ye!"

No such thing as a safe artificial sweetener. Now many people have no problems ingesting them over time, but that's not the same thing as the sweetener being safe. Artificially sweetened soft drinks (Coca-Cola & the like) are absolutely horrible for one's health. Those sweetened with sugar are only slightly less dreadful. All contribute to mineral and nutrient loss in the body. One of the leading ingredients in Coca-Cola is phosphoric acid. Drink up! I had two pilot friends who both were huge consumers of Diet Coke. They went to sea together for a time and laid in what they thought was sufficient supply to get them through their trip. Badly underestimating their consumption rate and depleting the ship's supply, they ran out with some weeks to run. Both suffered insomnia, piercing headaches, and other unpleasant symptoms. I ask you if this is something that gives you so much pleasure that you ought continue. The question is rhetorical, and I'll not be drawn into arguing about it.

LW_50, I used to hold your position on agave syrup, but I then looked into the processing. It's really not that great.

I don't remember the last time I bought granulated sugar of any kind or an artificial sweetener. While a bit pricey, real maple syrup or a local honey from a farmer's market or similar are the best sweet things for one's health, weight, etc. Local honey also has the added benefit of aiding in the reduction of allergies by acclimatizing one's immune system to the local pollen & so forth. Lighter honeys (such as tupelo in the U.S.) add little or no taste overtones to foods in which they are used. Buying mass-produced honey from your supermarket is not the same thing. I've consumed local honey on 6 continents and never had the slightest issue with it.

Lon More
30th Jan 2014, 15:44
The most prolific artificial sweetener is Aspartame.

There was somewhere here a complete thread about the dangers of that stuff.

Should be banned but someone's making big bucks out of it