PDA

View Full Version : Ccleaner vs Tune Up Disck Cleaner

Loose rivets
29th Jan 2014, 17:21
I think by AVG. Mate's local 'expert' accused Ccleaner of causing trouble and removed it, favoring the latter. Any comments?

vulcanised
29th Jan 2014, 19:36
CCleaner requires setting carefully before you first use it.

If you just use it 'out of the box' then it will probably do things you'd rather it didn't.

ShyTorque
29th Jan 2014, 19:41
I've been using CCleaner since even before they toned down the name. It's always worked very well on my laptops and PCs, including this one. But it does try to install toolbars etc, which you probably don't want. If you read the info displayed during installation, you simply un-tick the boxes to opt out.

spannersatcx
30th Jan 2014, 08:10
used ccleaner once on a laptop, never again, did too much harm, had to reinstall windows to fix it!

TURIN
30th Jan 2014, 09:19
Well, I've been using CCleaner on an XP laptop and a Vista HTPC for many years and no problems.

ShyTorque
30th Jan 2014, 10:09
My laptop runs XP, also does my daughter's and a net book we have. Ccleaner is regularly used and none have ever had a problem. The program is well supported and regularly updated so later versions may have had some earlier bugs ironed out. ;)

lomapaseo
30th Jan 2014, 13:57
i Regularly use CCleaner on all my computers. Yes I had some problems on a Win 7 when I let it clean a registery once but now days I only use it to clean sticky files.

I ran it yesterday on my wifes computer and immediately she started whinging about lost passwords on facebace and Pogostick. Without telling her what I had done :E I quickly excluded a bunch of those files in options for the future.