View Full Version : EZY future recruitment

mototopo
29th Jan 2014, 14:33
Hi everyone,

Does anybody have rumors about that?
Thanks much:ok:

WonderBus
29th Jan 2014, 15:07
There are currently 200+ new FOs, experienced and cadets, going through training at the moment. Don't think there will be any more recruitment for at least a year.

mototopo
29th Jan 2014, 19:57
Thanks Wonderbus,

Just wondering since last year they started recruiting in Spring for 2014 the guys you're referring to..
Maybe this spring on for 2015....?!

RexBanner
29th Jan 2014, 23:08
Exactly. Wonderbus' statement is a bit misleading, the (direct entry) guys currently going through type ratings/line training applied originally in late March last year. Yes it may be a year until there is another batch but in that case these would be recruited this summer with online applications opening in the spring if last year was anything to go by. Anyway that's my positive spin on it as an eager member of the hold pool!

(I'm not saying that's the timetable however, just reflecting what happened in 2013. I don't have any insider info at all, I wish I did!)

Alexander de Meerkat
30th Jan 2014, 09:01
The next round of recruitment at easyJet is scheduled to begin in April. That is only two months from now. It is quite a long and involved process, so they start early. Employment would begin from the end of the summer onwards. There is a problem, however.

As any of you who have followed easyJet will be aware, an unfortunate situation arose in the last round of recruitment whereby jobs were offered to many more people than they had jobs available. As a result around 40 people who were offered jobs were not subsequently employed. This was not a deliberate act of deceit, but rather in a last-minute change to the numbers required for this year. Nonetheless it caused great difficulty and upset for the individuals involved. Common sense would indicate that these individuals are looked at again first. That also means that, although the recruitment process will be underway, in reality the first 40 places should already be spoken for. That obviously assumes that easyJet honours their previous commitments which I sincerely hope we do. There is no doubt that what happened in the last year was a great embarrassment to us, and I have every reason to believe we will endeavour to put right what went wrong last time. The people who run the recruitment are not heartless monsters, but it is far from a perfect process. Although I work there, and can heartily recommend easyJet as an employer overall, I am as intrigued as anybody to find out how we put right what happened last year. Part of being a good employer, is that when you make promises you keep them, and this is a golden opportunity to put that into practice.

RexBanner
30th Jan 2014, 09:47
Hear hear, ADM. I'm very much hoping for a happy ending to the disappointment of last year's story. It has to be said that there are not many jobs in aviation that offer the sheer variety and security that easyJet does.

WonderBus
30th Jan 2014, 10:31
I don't think what I said was too misleading. There may be a number of new positions advertised this year, but no where near the numbers of last year. As I'm sure ADM will testify the training dept are very busy at the moment and for the foreseeable future with new captains and FOs. The big recruitment drives, since I've been here, have run in 2 year cycles. The last was 2013 for 13/14 and before that 2011 for 11/12. The 40 people who should have be taken on last year may well fill the requirement for this year's needs.

Alexander de Meerkat
30th Jan 2014, 14:49
WonderBus - the numbers I have heard are substantially in excess of those 40. The big unknown is how many cadets and rated pilots we take. The truth is that our much-vaunted recruitment of 'many' non-rated pilots was, at best, over-stated. Considering we had in excess of three thousand applicants, the numbers we took were very small in relative terms. We shall see soon enough.

captplaystation
31st Jan 2014, 18:19
A tiny bit "off topic", but a good thread to pose the Q nonetheless.

A colleague told me a story the other day about a rated FO friend who had resigned from Wizz to join EZY in Berlin.

On the 1st day of his company conversion course he was presented with a contract to sign, significantly inferior to his expectations.

Would you judge this could be likely due to the time elapsed between interview & being offered a position (have conditions decreased in Berlin recently ? ) or was it likely to be merely a cynical "try-on".

Of course having resigned his previous position he didn't have much choice.

I find episodes like this very revealing, & have another colleague who recently turned down a position with Monarch, similarly what he was offered was way lower than had been mentioned at interview 1 year earlier. Fortunately for him he hadn't resigned & was able to say "thanks but no thanks".
Not stirring or slagging, just curious.

standardbrief
31st Jan 2014, 19:45
Hi all,

What's the deal with the lisbon base now?
I read the conditions are separate (worse) than mainline easyjet?
I'm looking for a DEC position on possibly a part time roster but will not be justification to some paper shuffler that pilots will work on sub standard salarys

Disclaimer: not meant as a dig to guys/girls who have taken up the contract already your choices are your own and we all 'gotta get paid'

captplaystation
31st Jan 2014, 20:40
As the story is 2nd(3rd?) hand I don't know if it was a case of failing to RTFQ2 or whether he was genuinely led down the garden path at interview (which he apparently claims )

I am sure long term it is fine, think he was just a bit peeved as he felt the goalposts had narrowed en-route from selection to employment.

My LGW based NAS colleagues are hoping that the eventual permanent contract will broadly resemble Easy, which they have said is very acceptable thanks.
If NAS want to retain a large percentage of their new guys, it would be better for them if it did.

pitotheat
1st Feb 2014, 16:17
Standardbrief good news for you. You will not have to suffer the indignation of a DEC in LIS for a part time contract on an equitable and fair salary because non will be offered. Good luck in your job hunting elsewhere.

standardbrief
1st Feb 2014, 19:16
Pitotheat.

Thanks for your answer, I think you got the wrong idea from my post but hey you sound like such a laugh just keep what your doing baby I'm sure it's working out for you :ok:

pitotheat
1st Feb 2014, 20:46
Nope I think I understood you just fine. You want a DEC into easyJet on a part time contract. You are unwilling to accept an inferior contract such as those in LIS. You might be surprised to know that such a deal does not exist. My reply to your OP still stands.

thedesert
15th Feb 2014, 13:14
So guys, i see EZY advertising for permanent fo and cpt for a LIS base. Is there anybody down there who can tell us how much they really earn? I am interested in the FO scale, the ad says
"€47,000 - €75,000 OTE (basic & variable) plus up to between 5% - 20% bonus of annual basic salary"
Is it realistic to expect 3000€ net a month or are my calculations wrong?

contacttower118.2
22nd Feb 2014, 13:01
WonderBus - the numbers I have heard are substantially in excess of those 40. The big unknown is how many cadets and rated pilots we take. The truth is that our much-vaunted recruitment of 'many' non-rated pilots was, at best, over-stated. Considering we had in excess of three thousand applicants, the numbers we took were very small in relative terms. We shall see soon enough.

Any chance of non-integrated cadets?

zena
13th Mar 2014, 10:09
Any news about future recruitment?

redsnail
13th Mar 2014, 11:16
Contacttower118.2 Any chance of non-integrated cadets?
Sadly no.

PPRuNeUser0178
13th Mar 2014, 17:49
........and we are short of pilots for summer 2014. History has a habit of repeating itself at EZY. Such a shame.

kick the tires
13th Mar 2014, 20:52
Thats a throw away line EZYDRIVER.... how do you know, how many are we short, which seats, which months, which bases, which countries......

???

kick the tires
13th Mar 2014, 21:34
But we always have had them, the peak summer months, July and August.

It doesnt mean we are short of crews, it means our aircraft are fully deployed and we need a bit of extra for the peak. Makes sense to me, certainly doesnt deserve the headline that we are short of crews!

The Flying Cokeman
14th Mar 2014, 21:39
We are short of planes- not crews. Primarily due to the expansion in FCO which is why Titan will be flying for us this year.

RexBanner
21st Mar 2014, 20:30
Only taking cadets now according to ppjn? Doesn't really tally with the easyJet website which states they're about to open 2015 recruitment. What's the story?

Alexander de Meerkat
22nd Mar 2014, 00:03
RexBanner - no one really knows (at least no one in the regular pilot community). It is my sincere hope that we put right what we got wrong last year and take on the 40 guys who we offered jobs to and then promptly rescinded their offers. I have no idea what the plan is, but it is undoubtedly true that there are a lot of cadets coming through the system right now. Time will tell what else happens.

Alexander de Meerkat
27th Mar 2014, 07:08
DollComber - very sad to hear that. It appears that we are not taking any non-rated pilots this year, which is a huge disappointment given last year's recruitment debacle. I cannot justify the unjustifiable, which this is. Very disappointed.

Wodka
27th Mar 2014, 15:59
Back to the cadet fest then. Normal operations resume.

A4
27th Mar 2014, 17:06
Back to the cadet fest then. Normal operations resume.

Not necessarily Wodka. It's only non-type rated who are excluded - which does not mean 100% cadet. Direct entry type rated should feature as it has this year.

Superpilot
27th Mar 2014, 18:03
What does this mean for guys who were rejected last year (TRd) after passing the online tests and being promised an interview (twice)?

clearedfortaxi
28th Mar 2014, 04:16
is direct entry type rated fo recruitment open yet? beside lisbon?

MikeHoncho
28th Mar 2014, 10:28
So when you were offered a contract last year as Non-TR'ed guy and are in their Talent Pool, Easy is not going to call on you for the next recruitment?

Narrow Runway
28th Mar 2014, 10:38
It would appear that way.

As one eminent poster points out, it's a great place to be if you're a captain (or TRE), earning up to £160,000 and all sorts of bonuses, share schemes and previous enrichment policies.

It is just as bad as anywhere else when you're setting out in your career though IMHO. Hourly pay and a long probation period initially, then a possible pay cut to ensure a permanent contract. Strange days indeed.

I wholeheartedly believe that Carolyn McCall needs to look in the mirror, as a prominent CEO of a supposedly enlightened organisation, and ensure that those previously offered positions are granted them in this round of recruitment. It would cost very little and would be of great moral (and morale) benefit. She has the power to ensure this happens.

A fish rots from the head down.

flyhigh2fly
28th Mar 2014, 11:21
Unless Easy explicitly says TR only or Cadets only, which as far as I am aware they have not, its all speculation what is being written here as far as I am concerned.

There is still a chance for NonTr, living in hope thats all.

Wingswinger
28th Mar 2014, 12:42
I wholeheartedly believe that Carolyn McCall needs to look in the mirror, as a prominent CEO of a supposedly enlightened organisation, and ensure that those previously offered positions are granted them in this round of recruitment. It would cost very little and would be of great moral (and morale) benefit. She has the power to ensure this happens.

Have you emailed her?

Narrow Runway
28th Mar 2014, 14:44
WingSwinger.

No. I'm a captain elsewhere.

I did turn down a DEC with easyJet a few years back and still retain an interest in the industry in general.

It would seem honourable for a vastly profitable FTSE100 company to stand by their written word.

Once again, that is of course, only IMHO.

cartmans lovechild
28th Mar 2014, 14:57
Narrow R,

some if of not all of those offers I believe were an internal process error and caused by a change in the recruitment system. manyI believe would never have been offered positions under the old system.

I still have a letter offering me a job with British Caledonian a few weeks before BA gobbled them up - maybe I should write to Willie Walsh and ask him for my 380 command!

Narrow Runway
28th Mar 2014, 16:48
Cartman,

Entirely different circumstances.

The airline you were offered a job by were, a few weeks later, a part of history. And that was in 1988. To draw a comparison to this is somewhat disingenuous. Again, IMHO only.

I once received a letter from jmc Airlines telling me I didn't have enough experience for an interview....... a year after passing my initial line check for them.

So, strange admin errors happen.

However, on what basis do you think there was an internal error that now deprives these guys their chance? Perhaps you could share the information? I am fairly sure there are 30 or so interested parties to your inside information.

RexBanner
28th Mar 2014, 18:42
Cartman's Lovechild. Seeing as you are evidently someone who is more enlightened than myself (who has first hand knowledge of what went on last year and went through all of it) could you please explain to me the following?

1) A telephone call from HR after the assessment day to congratulate me on my performance and to book a simulator assessment at CTC in Southampton.

2) Another telephone call roughly a week after the sim assessment to again congratulate me on my standard, offer me a job and confirm my base choices.

What part of either or both of these occurrences, in your learned opinion, constitutes an internal processing error/an offer that should never have been made because I wasn't up to standard?

I await your reply.

I'm only asking because I very much doubt that, out of 40 people, I was the only person that this sequence of events happened to. As far as I'm led to believe it was simply a last minute change to the numbers required as Alexander De Meerkat has previously described, a genuine error and not something more sinister.

(I'm actually still in the pool but I'm taking it upon myself to speak out on behalf of the non rated guys who unfortunately missed out this time because your crass comments that their success in a highly competitive and multi layered recruitment process was merely the result of a processing error is not only unfounded but liable to offend and upset those people at a sensitive time.)

Elephant and Castle
28th Mar 2014, 19:01
Sadly while easyjet has a number of good points sticking to agreements is not one of them. Easyjet management beleive that the words "low cost" are a magic spell that allows them to ignore any and all agreements when it suits them.

You found out quicker than most but it is something you would have found out pretty soon anyway.

RexBanner
28th Mar 2014, 19:15
Elephant and Castle I should hopefully still be joining them later on this year. But it is abundantly clear that easyJet simply cannot win with the whingers on pprune. Let's imagine a scenario whereby they decided to bin the rated people in the pool instead of the non rated. Only going to take self funded non rated people from now on. Would this satisfy everybody? Or would there be, as I very much suspect there would be, mass conspiracy theories left right and centre on pprune about how they were only taking these people so that they could ensure CTC millions of pounds in income through self funded type ratings? If they're all about the bottom dollar and in bed with CTC why wouldn't they do exactly that? There's always going to be accusations of a hidden agenda.

What happened was extremely unfortunate but I very much doubt they intentionally set out to deceive people and ultimately let them down.

Alexander de Meerkat
29th Mar 2014, 12:19
As one who has often championed easyJet's cause, and been much criticised for doing so, I have to say that I cannot condone what has happened here. Contrary to the statements of the conspiracy theorists, I do not believe there is some secret scheme in place to ruin peoples' lives or to raise their hopes only to disappoint them at the worst possible moment. Nonetheless, I do believe that what has happened here is very poor form indeed. This latest email was at least personal, which is more than the previous ones were. This round of recruitment is, in all honesty, an embarrassment due to the succession of errors made by people who should have known better. The reality is that job offers were made, which should never have happened, and consequently the 'pilot recruitment team' had to rescind them when they discovered they had not got the authority to make them. It is not rocket science. An e-mail as follows should have gone out along the following lines -

'Congratulations Mr Bloggs, you have passed the selection but due to an excess of suitable candidates for a limited number of vacancies we cannot offer you a pilot job immediately. Your name will be held in a holding pool for 6 months and should a suitable vacancy arise in that time you will be offered it. If after that time we are still unable to offer you a position, your name will be removed for our files and you will have to re-apply for any future pilot vacancies using the full recruitment process in place at that stage. Please accept our sincere apologies for the uncertainty this generates, but we cannot be more specific until our final recruitment targets for the coming year have been finalised. In the meantime, we strongly advise you not to turn down any other career opportunities in the hope that easyJet will offer you employment in the future, as we cannot make any firm offers or guarantees at this time. Thanks etc.....'

That took two minutes to think up and would have saved enormous hurt and pain to many people. What we have done is simply disgraceful and is inexcusable. As a slight aside I am not quite sure why we care if people are type-rated or not. We are making the applicants pay the entire cost of the rating and are sending business the way of our pilot training organisation, while not getting involved with the money aspects of things. The problem with our type-rated policy is that it discludes a vast number of high quality candidates who have frankly more to offer than some of the type-rated people we take. There have been some guys from high quality companies too, but I see no real gain for us one way or the other. I have to profess to being very disappointed with what has unfolded here, particularly as I know personally some of those who have been let down. In truth, once you are through the door of easyJet, you tend to deal with some very high quality people, but that is no consolation for those who have been affected by this situation.

Wodka
29th Mar 2014, 13:02
This farce aside, what I cannot get my head around is why a Company in such rude health is asking experienced guys to fork out for a TR. I mean REALLY? It's not like they can't afford a bond scheme.

It makes me wonder if the whole recruiting experienced guys thing is just too much hassle for them when they can just pick up the CTC bat phone and order up a six pack of cadets.

speedrestriction
29th Mar 2014, 14:36
pick up the CTC bat phone and order up a six pack of cadets

That has to be quote of the week. :D

speed_alive_rotate
29th Mar 2014, 14:51
Wodka excellent quote!!!!!

FANS
31st Mar 2014, 12:26
You need to be a little bit careful of talking of LHS = £100k+/year, as I can't see why this number won't start coming down for new entrants over the coming decade.

Alexander de Meerkat
31st Mar 2014, 12:47
FANS - we can only talk of the world we live in now and not what may or may not be the case ten years from now. There is not a person on this planet who could say with any certainty what may happen in the airline industry, or indeed any other industry, a decade from now. This is a strange website where people crave 'facts', only to go berserk when someone actually gives them some. What we can say with absolute certainty is that captains at easyJet, including any that are going to be promoted within the next year, will receive salaries in excess of £100k. That is offensive to a number who read PPRuNe as apparently it is boasting - but it is one of life's little facts nonetheless. That is no consolation to the people who have just been treated very shabbily by easyJet and binned out the holding pool, but it is what it is.

FANS
31st Mar 2014, 12:57
ADM - people need to start looking longer term, and not just what things look like today.

When there were cadets very surprised that they needed to pay for TR etc and didn't get the bonding repayments of the earlier cadets, this was because they thought the T&Cs would not change as much as they did.

The same needs to be considered for those looking at the long term at EZY.

You just focusing on the "Now" is not helpful to those that should be thinking longer term.

Bealzebub
31st Mar 2014, 13:03
This is a strange website where people crave 'facts', only to go berserk when someone actually gives them some.
Isn't that the truth!
You just focusing on the "Now" is not helpful to those that should be thinking longer term.

Planning for the longer term can only be aided by a clear of understanding of what is happening now. It is astonishing just how many contributors to these forums simply refuse to do either that, or understand the history of how "now" actually evolved.

FANS
31st Mar 2014, 14:53
I remember hearing how FO salaries for A320/B737 would never drop much, but smaller jets and turboprops in particular could be low. Then along came RYR.

737Jock
31st Mar 2014, 16:30
Eventually captain salaries Will be affected. But EasyJet pilots already voted against a package that would have started a slow erosion of captains T&C's.
The company wanted a reform of loyalty pay for new captains, being based on date of promotion instead of time in company.

This was rejected by a firm majority in the UK despite some other goodies. Captains very much realise that introduction of a B-scale for captains will affect them in the future.

The threat however is in Lisbon, where the company can't find any SFO's who want to accept the appalling T&C's (compared to all the other Easyjet captains around the network) on offer. Which is why the are recruiting DEC into LIS.

Only worldwide economic recovery can stop this rot.

MEG@DK
25th Apr 2014, 10:38
Hi All,

I've been keeping an eye on the Easyjet website for a while expecting something to change when the spring 2014 future captain recruitment would open again, last night it did.

It's now gone from "recruitment will open soon" to "Future captains wanted" and it then continues onto contact our providers. Now all the first 3 providers are either experienced flexicrew or CTC and Oxfords zero to hero programmes. I have 4500 Hrs and 3000 of those on business jets, so I contacted Parc in Dublin. They advised me they were only expecting to take on Airbus rated people with 500 hours on type for Easyjet and said Easyjet might set up their own process for experienced non TR pilots for this future captain programme.

Was there a link like that last year or does anyone know what the process is for experienced non-TR pilots/recruitment and if indeed there will be one this year.

All the best

mototopo
3rd May 2014, 12:09
Hi there,
As mentioned the EZY career webpage has changed, any news from insiders?

Thanks a lot!

Tiennetti
4th May 2014, 08:11
Altough the age has changed, there is no vacancy trough PARC, right?

High-higher
1st Jun 2014, 00:13
Perhaps this is a hard question to answer, but do new recruits ever get placed at LGW, or is this unlikely?

Is there a rough estimate as to how long I'd have to wait to transfer to LGW if based elsewhere? I only ask as I have a place to stay near lGW, so it would be ideal for me.

Thanks for any help.

EpsilonVaz
1st Jun 2014, 00:53
Out of all the bases, LGW is probably the easiest to get to. In fact I'd be surprised if any request to be based there would be turned down.