PDA

View Full Version : MacKeeper

DeeCee
29th Jan 2014, 12:23
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I did search for it specifically but just got non specific Mac threads.

I am a new iMac user and yesterday whilst on PPrune I got a prompt to download MacKeeper. I have downloaded it but not installed it yet. I've seen very varied comments on the internet. Is it recommended and useful?

Thanks in advance. DeeCee

mixture
29th Jan 2014, 13:06
DeeCee,

Never heard of it, and I'd be weary of downloading any magic "utilities" when prompted to do so via adverts.

There's other Mac stuff I have heard of, the name of which escapes my mind, but might be more what you're after.... I'll come back and update shortly...

Update: aah.. that's it... look up Intego. They've been around for donkey's years.

ExXB
29th Jan 2014, 15:10
Have a look on Wiki: here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackeeper). Note: Problems
On 2 May 2011, the rogue security program MacDefender (also known as Mac Protector, Mac Security, Mac Guard, and Mac Shield) was released. The similarity in name created confusion amongst Mac users, although no affiliation exists between the two. Zeobit has been accused of employing misleading advertising with regards to its promotion of MacKeeper, including aggressive affiliates, pop-under ads and plants sock-puppet reviews as well as websites set up to discredit their competitors. ZeoBit claims that negative attack ads were also launched against MacKeeper by an unnamed competitor.

Do you really need it? I'd be cautious.

DeeCee
29th Jan 2014, 17:10
Thanks guys. I've also had messages from my two sons saying 'Arghhh, no, don't download anything unapproved.' I have since uninstalled MacKeeper.

Where did I see the pop up that made me download it? It was here on PPrune.

mixture
29th Jan 2014, 17:52
Where did I see the pop up that made me download it? It was here on PPRuNe.

Yeah, I saw that stupid popup twice today too ! :mad:

MODS... PLEASE talk to the powers that be and get them to ban these unscrupulous and intrusive pop-up adverts.

crewmeal
29th Jan 2014, 20:33
Funnily enough using FF 26.0 on my MBP, I checked the block pop up box in preferences and the damn Mackeeper ad still pops up.

Sunnyjohn
29th Jan 2014, 20:57
MacKeeper has got very bad press because of its aggressive method of using pop ups to advertise it. Professional reviews are positive but there is so much bad press about it in the blogs that my advice, too, would be to steer well clear of it. There are a number of other apps out there that do the same thing, are well respected and have a proven track record. I've had Macs for twelve years and I use and can recommend Clean My Mac, from MacPaw - a well-established software producer - for general routine cleaning and maintenance, and Drive Genius 3, from ProSoft - another well-established company - for more detailed and in-depth maintenance and hard drive cleaning and organising. Please note that this is personal experience and I do not own shares in either company!

mixture
29th Jan 2014, 21:07
hard drive cleaning and organising.

As far as I am aware, you don't need to waste your time or money on defrag or similar tools on Mac as per this article from Apple....About disk optimization with Mac OS X (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US)

(N.B. That article is old and "archived", Apple have made great filesystem improvements since the time that article was written and 10.8/10.9 are very efficient .... I'm a heavy user and I've never felt the need to defragment or undertake other maintenance beyond occasionally running "repair permissions" in the built-in Disk Utility tool)

Piltdown Man
29th Jan 2014, 21:25
If for no other reason than one of principle, I don't use software that invades my screen on a pop-up or by any other anti-social methods. I also want a name and an address of someone who I can seek redress from if the product I have purchased malfunctions. When you are holding someone's lapels they generally get the message as they do when they take the note off the brick that has just arrived through their window.

PM