PDA

View Full Version : Using Non-phone electronic devices* at take-off/Landing

Davef68
29th Jan 2014, 00:01
It was mentioned in the press pre-Xmas that this was to be allowe din the US, with Europe expected to follow suit early in the New Year.

Anyone know when/if this is likely to occur?

*Kindles, Ipods, Ipads etc in flightsafe mode

jackieofalltrades
29th Jan 2014, 00:21
I flew over there earlier this month. Electronic devices including phones in airplane mode and noise cancelling headphones are permitted at all times including taxi/take off/landing provided the plane is in US airspace.

wiggy
29th Jan 2014, 00:33
...... with Europe expected to follow suit early in the New Year...

Following a very recent change it's now already allowed on at least one European airline (British Airways), I guess there will be others.

Their rule is now: "Handheld devices, such as tablets, e-readers and mobile phones may be used during all phases of the flight provided the ‘flight safe’ mode is enabled before departure". For completeness it's not a total "all clear", there are caveats that their use is not allowed during take off or landings when Low Visibility Procedures are in force, and there are a few other restrictions on their use on certain aircraft when performing some types of instrument approaches.

For the full info regarding BA's new rules see:

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/handheld-devices-used-onboard_Dec14.pdf

ExXB
29th Jan 2014, 12:33
It's also up to the airlines to decide if/when to allow it. They aren't being forced to apply the new rule.

I doubt if it would change too many pax's travelling habits. I would be happier if everyone did the same thing, but ...

EEngr
30th Jan 2014, 16:31
36fIRCpg70g

Davef68
30th Jan 2014, 21:05
Cheers,

Hopefully EZY will follow suit and I can use my Kindle....

ExXB
31st Jan 2014, 08:11
They are still trying to decide how to charge for it.

My last few U2 flights I've seen more and more pax ignoring the instruction to turn off their devices. Put them away until crew seated, and then go back to their reading.