PDA

View Full Version : After all that effort.....

Island Hopper
4th Feb 2002, 17:12
Has anyone not passed the IR within the 3 years allowed, having passed their last ATPL theory exam?

I'm thinking of this because if you get an IR, but don't get a flying job afterwards, isn't it more difficult to keep it current, than just a CPL? - ie. more hours required per year, some twin eng hours aswell so much much more expensive.

So I thought that maybe some people have looked at job prospects, and decided not to do an IR straight away, because they would be unable to keep it current afterwards by their own finances, and couldn't be sure they'd get a job.

So they'd be stuck with a rating which would become invalid, having spent about £9k to get it.

And by waiting before taking an IR, they ran out of time to get it, and had to either re-take all the ATPL exams or give up?

Or is 3 years ample time for everyone?

IH

RVR800
5th Feb 2002, 14:01
>Has anyone not passed the IR within the 3 years >allowed, having passed their last ATPL theory >exam?

Not yet because the JAA exams started less than. .3 years ago It was 5 years before that.

>I'm thinking of this because if you get an IR, >but don't get a flying job afterwards, isn't it >more difficult to keep it current, than just a >CPL?

Yes its more expensive as well

> - ie. more hours required per year, some twin >eng hours aswell so much much more expensive.

Yes

>So I thought that maybe some people have looked >at job prospects, and decided not to do an IR >straight away

Yes they are, but its never been easy to get. .a job anyway its just very very bad now

>because they would be unable to keep it current >afterwards by their own finances, and couldn't >be sure they'd get a job.

People let it lapse but as long as its within 7 years they are OK as far as the ATP is concerned

>So they'd be stuck with a rating which would >become invalid, having spent about £9k to get it.

Only if they didn't renew it (7 years)

>And by waiting before taking an IR, they ran out >of time to get it, and had to either re-take all >the ATPL exams or give up?

That is an option which is unpallatable

> Or is 3 years ample time for everyone?

No, It doesnt account for the job market. .But then who said the JAA were bothered about . .the expense of all this, they don't care

[ 05 February 2002: Message edited by: RVR800 ]</p>

18greens
5th Feb 2002, 22:44
Well said RVR.

It might be worth adding for clarity that although the ATPLs are valid for 7 years from your last IR renewal (or initial)the IR needs to be renewed within 5 years to avoid a visit to the CAAFU examiners.(And who would ever want to waste money on that again!!)

Captain Spud
6th Feb 2002, 00:38
How difficult would it typicaly be to renew an IR that had lapsed for 5 or 7 years?

I assume it would not be like starting from scratch but would require quite a few hours however for some one who had been involved in only basic PPL type flying in the intrim period

. .CS