PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei

C_Star
28th Jan 2014, 19:20
Looks like RB is advertising for A320 DEC's. Can anyone shed some light on the working conditions, pay, roster, etc?

Also, any idea if there will be some movement of people onto the 777/787 in future?

Landflap
29th Jan 2014, 08:55
Cripes, I applied in 1982 & was told that the Company was dedicated to full Nationalisation within three years. Only a three year contract was on offer & that I should not expect a "career" rather than a time contract. I declined. Silly me. Could have stayed 32 years ! Actually, never heard anything bad about them & most seemed to have enjoyed it very much. All those I knew served much longer than three years. Good luck.

Dixons Cider
2nd Feb 2014, 12:33
The Sultan has announced his wish to impose sharia law in the "abode of peace"

Toastal
2nd Feb 2014, 12:49
Very, very uncertain times ahead!! T:suspect:

captjns
2nd Feb 2014, 12:50
One*noted Bruneian scholar*of Islamic law, Mufti Awang Abdul Aziz, defended the new penal code:*"Let us not just look at the hand-cutting or the stoning or the caning per se, but let us also look at the conditions governing them," he said. "It is not indiscriminate cutting or stoning or caning. There are conditions and there are methods that are just and fair.”

And you to can be caned, stoned, and or cut without discrimination:ok:

Sounds like its going to be the garden spot od SE Asia.:rolleyes:

DQ4
5th Feb 2014, 19:31
I have been offered a RB selection in March for the DEC on the 320.

Can anybody give updates on lifestyle, salary etc?

sleeve of wizard
6th Feb 2014, 09:02
Carefully consider what you may be going to.:E:E:E

Implementing Syariah Penal Code in Three Stages (http://dc-3a1a059e.brudirect.com/national/national/national-headlines/14639-implementing-syariah-penal-code-in-three-stages)

flieng
6th Feb 2014, 09:48
i to have been offered an interview. don,t know anything about the Brunei or much about the selection process.

flieng
7th Feb 2014, 19:56
Not rated for the RB Interview.

compass360
9th Feb 2014, 18:03
Where is the interview taking place?

vinayak
9th Feb 2014, 23:48
sleeve of wizard... thanks for that info... depends to what extents it's implemented.

For instance, prostitution is illegal in thailand :hmm:

Lawry Hargrave
10th Feb 2014, 01:55
If anyone has any info they would like to share about living and working in Brunei for RB (culture etc), I would gladly accept private messages.
I am current A320 Captain with primary school age family meeting the listed employment requirements.

sleeve of wizard
10th Feb 2014, 17:50
Brunei is a small, sleepy country village. If you are coming from Europe it will be a big shock. Everybody knows your business. Grocery shopping can be very hit and miss as most products are imported and expensive. e.g. 2 litres of fresh milk will set you back about $10usd if there is stock!!!:ugh:
Petrol is cheap 25p/litre but there is nowhere to drive.
RB has gone through a period of rebranding and trying to reinvent its self.
There has been a flood of expats leave in recent years (some by choice, some not) due to downsizing and consolidation. The pilot contract conditions have steadily been eroded, Annual Leave Ticket up until recently was confirmed business class, now it's economy class. 2012 saw an increase in the daily travel allowance, the first rise in 10 years!!:E

sleeve of wizard
14th Feb 2014, 06:52
further food for thought before you go.

Propagating religion other than Islam a crime under Syariah law | The Brunei Times (http://www.bt.com.bn/2014/02/14/propagating-religion-other-islam-crime-under-syariah-law)

Alexander de Meerkat
14th Feb 2014, 13:57
Syariah Law is a hideous system brought in to oppress Muslims and non-Muslims alike. It is a throw back to the Middle Ages and brings nothing but heartbreak, misery and pain to all who live under it - except a few hard-line Muslim clerics who are broadly similar in thinking to the Spanish Inquisition. There are countless people, both in and out of Brunei, who do not believe that Muhammad was God's prophet or that the Quran is God's word and should be entitled to say so. There are also many people who believe that marrying children as Muhammad did should be an offence. Syariah Law prevents people from exercising their rights to freedom of religion and to worship the God they believe in (or not) rather than the one portrayed in the Quran. No religion (and I am very for religious faith and the freedom to practice as you see fit) should be exempt from the requirement to provide freedom of conscience for the adherent. The application of Syariah Law is a moral evil and we should never be afraid to oppose such a sinister change in direction by a hitherto pleasant country. Why should it be acceptable for Muslims to enforce a change of religion on others but for them not be allowed to change their own religion should they so desire. These are basic human rights and we should never lose sight of the costs of freedom to believe whatever you want. We live in a world where countless groups seek to deny others their freedom of conscience and this is just another example of it. Whether it is radical Muslims who see that the only religion to be heard is Islam, radical gays who seek to prevent anyone who disagrees with them being permitted to say so, radical atheists who seek to prevent parents bringing up their children in the religion of their choice or whatever the cause - there is one common thread. These people are utterly intolerant of all views other than their own, but cannot win the argument. They therefore seek to impose their values on everyone else and will not allow any debate to the contrary. As soon as they find someone who disagrees they seek to punish them by taking away their respect, their job, their money, their conscience, their liberty or even their life. No community has been immune from this type of thinking down the years, but we need to see it for what it is - straightforward oppression coated in a chocolate of 'truth'. If you can persuade me to be a Muslim that is fine, but if I can convince you by rational discussion that it is not true, do I not have the right to do so? It would appear not.

JW411
14th Feb 2014, 16:51
If I were you I don't think I would walk around Luton after dark.

Falcon99
15th Feb 2014, 05:45
Things may have changed but in the mid 1990's whilst the Sultan was in London at Christmas taking his children to the pantomimes the religious police were driving around in Brunei insisting people remove any Christmas decorations, lights etc that could be seen from the road.
The same religious police had the right to knock on your door at any time during the night and ask to see a marriage certificate if you were there in the house with a woman. Expulsion from the country within 24 hours if you were unable to produce one.

slowjet
15th Feb 2014, 08:42
Alex; Perfectly splendid post.
JW : The very point of Alex's post, surely (?)
On thread though, those looking to go this opressed little place have your answers.

A3301FD
15th Feb 2014, 12:00
Luton...Leeds...Bradford... Plenty of other towns can be added to that list...and sadly said list is growing and growing.