PDA

View Full Version : Things you see that make you wonder

Windy Militant
28th Jan 2014, 18:43
Been into Lunnun village today and something I've noticed a few times has finally intrigued me to the point I have to say something about it,
Edith Villas (http://goo.gl/maps/q7KsY)
Half way up the wall is what look like a collection of Gas meters. If thats what they are, what's puzzling me is how they expected to read the things up there. :confused:

BigEndBob
28th Jan 2014, 20:27
What are you looking at, the feature that looks like a window on the curved section on the 3rd floor?

TRC
28th Jan 2014, 20:36
Hmmm........

Curved rather than a right-angled corner to the building. Looks like metal-framed Crittall windows... 1930's?

Gas was cheap then.

It's gone up now, maybe the meters have gone with it.

BigEndBob
28th Jan 2014, 20:52
Different view shows a cable or pipe going in at the top along wall and into building. Could it be some kind of fire alarm system for the Brigade?
Water sprinkler indicator?

Pelikal
28th Jan 2014, 20:58
A close up. Looks pretty knackered.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/RobJHP/Edith%20Villas%20mystery/EdithVillasmysterybox_zps333f6c33.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/RobJHP/media/Edith%20Villas%20mystery/EdithVillasmysterybox_zps333f6c33.jpg.html)

Lon More
28th Jan 2014, 21:02
Something to do with trams or trolleybuses?

Windy Militant
28th Jan 2014, 21:20
I hadn't noticed the cleats in the wall maybe in the days before the safety elves took over there was a ladder there that's been removed.
I had thought that there might have been balconies there at some point that had been removed but there doesn't seem to be any indication of the remodelling that would go with that, different coloured brick work and pointing slight misalignment in the brick courses and so on
Actually looking at the blow up they look more like mail boxes than gas meters. ;)

TRC
28th Jan 2014, 21:38
They look like ammo tins to me. Some secret Home Guard ammo stash? Maybe the door fell off.

Sallyann1234
28th Jan 2014, 21:49
I don't think they are cleats in the wall. They are overflow pipes.

SpringHeeledJack
28th Jan 2014, 22:07
I've passed those flats thousands of times over the years and have admired them for their nod to Bauhaus architecture. I'd say that as others have, that the now broken case houses metering of some sort, that was accessed by a now defunct wall ladder. Due to the position of the case/box and where it is, on a main artery from the West into London, I put forward that it was a metering station for air pollution.

Just out of interest, if one were to travel further along the 'beautiful' Talgarth Rd on the same side one comes to purpose built in the late 1800's artist studios with huge windows unlike any other around. And.....across the road and a little way in the other direction Freddy Mercury's old gaff is to be found adorned in writing by fans like Abbey Rd Studios is similarly by Beatles fans :8

SHJ

Windy Militant
28th Jan 2014, 22:29
Sallyann123 Yes having had a look at an estate agents site the floor plan shows the kitchen and Bathrooms located with the small windows at the end which would suggest that they were indeed overflow pipes. I'd have thought that they wouldn't have them overhanging the pavements but I guess times have changed.
Looking at the enlargement again it looks as if there is a cabinet around the boxes which probably had a door at one time.
I can't find any archive pictures just hordes of estate agents web sites so it's not possible to compare and contrast now and then.
Oh well it's past my bedtime maybe in time the answer will appear out of the collective knowledge of the Ppruniverse. ;)

Pelikal
29th Jan 2014, 08:52
Windy, I too gave up trying find an image from the 1930's due to the agents listings. There has to be an archive image somewhere.

However, I've cunningly created a list of 'exceptions' that you can copy and paste into the 'none of these words' box in Google advanced search. I've made a text doc. that I can use for similar searches. I've discovered there is a 32 word limit.

zoopla 192.com dexters rightmove nethouseprices doogal gumtree bective flatmaterooms foxtons mypostcodefinder houseprices mouseprice mitula makeurmove housepricepaid hamptons locatable reapit yell chard blackkatz updn companiesintheuk postcode-finder kfh lawsonrutter scoot

To cover myself, I'm not berating any individual concern or service here.

Hmmm... Doesn't reveal much more.

Off to search the Archives!

603DX
29th Jan 2014, 10:30
There seem to be six pairs of rectangular slots, and the large block of flats above the shops has six floors. I think it possible that this was an early indicator board to show the fire brigade on which floor a fire had broken out, and on which of two distinct areas of each floor. The slots could have had bulbs which illuminated when the fire detection system was triggered, and provided a quick means of locating the fire to aid rapid deployment of engines, ladders, etc in this congested site location.

A more sophisticated system installed years later would have rendered it redundant, hence its present delapidated appearance.

I used to live not far away from there in the 1960s, and often passed the junction - we used to shop in the south end of North End Road, in the "cheap as chips" fruit and vegetables street market.

FL575
29th Jan 2014, 10:39
Windy,

It is quite normal to have overflow pipes with outlets in such a position. The idea is that if you put them somewhere that flows on to people, something gets done about it!

Many Victorian houses had the overflow pipes directly above the front door. It did mean that the male of the household could not use the old excuse 'I did not notice it' to his wife, when she asked why he had not done anything about it.

Sallyann1234
29th Jan 2014, 12:11
I have to say that this block has been very well maintained, which makes the dilapidated item in question stand out even more.
Unlike so many others it doesn't suffer the twin blights of satellite dishes and individual boiler flues outside every flat. Also the windows are all matching and not updated piecemeal.

edit to say: the fire indicator theory sounds good. The block has separate entrances in the two adjacent roads, so it would make sense to have two separate boards to guide the fire crews to the relevant entrance.

acbus1
29th Jan 2014, 12:48
...look like a collection of Gas meters...
No wonder some people's gas bills are high.

mixture
29th Jan 2014, 14:27
The fact the building is called West Kensington Court, not Edith Villas might help in your searches. :E

My theory is on it possibly being some obsolete mobile phone radio bits, the back of an ex-CCTV assembly .... something like that... the clue being its prominent position right on the corner, nice and high up, on a major junction where the A4 crosses the North End Road and with West Kensington Tube on the other side of the road.

edit to say: the fire indicator theory sounds good.

I don't buy that one. Far too high up to be remotely useful. Mr Fireman would need to get on his ladder just to take a look at the indicators !

I have to say that this block has been very well maintained,

Has it really ? Have you taken a Streetview wander along North End Road to the entrance door next to the cheap shops at numbers 154 and 156 .... that front entrance looks pretty dilapidated to me.

500N
29th Jan 2014, 14:35
Telephone ?

Not sure it fits with the age of the building.

tony draper
29th Jan 2014, 14:53
Looks like a old cable TV repeater kiosk,the old HF Rediffusion System,they got smaller by my day employing transistors rather than valves and were oft stuck up on gable ends and such.
Some kind of telecom kit anyway.
:)

Sallyann1234
29th Jan 2014, 16:51
Definitely not mobile phone - the early installations were on higher sites than this to give wide area coverage, also there is no sign of where the aerials were mounted. If they were on the roof, the associated cabinets would be up there as well. Nowadays it would be useful for a microcell to cover the busy junction - if it had once been in use for phones it is unlikely to have been abandoned.
Not CCTV either - that wouldn't have needed so many boxes of kit.

meadowrun
29th Jan 2014, 16:57
Handy for narrow boats perhaps...

http://berksandbucks.greatbritishlife.co.uk/polopoly_fs/ber_oct13_diamond_postbox_bridge_1_2987946!image/747071795.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/747071795.jpg

Big Hammer
29th Jan 2014, 18:13
Looks like vents for incinerators which were often in stairwells in blocks of flats for disposal of delicate items.

Windy Militant
29th Jan 2014, 19:08
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/24/article-2178140-1430FDD0000005DC-972_634x768.jpg

Lord have mercy the things you find when you start ferreting!
full article in the Daily flail below!:eek:

Baby-taking-room-Try-solution-1930s--window-CAGE-hanging-air-infant-crawl (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178140/Baby-taking-room-Try-solution-1930s--window-CAGE-hanging-air-infant-crawl-in.html)

mixture
29th Jan 2014, 21:12
Windy Militant,

There's a film of it in action here BABY CAGE - British Pathé (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/baby-cage)

mixture
29th Jan 2014, 21:16
if it had once been in use for phones it is unlikely to have been abandoned.

Might have been for the old Rabbit system..... remember that ? :cool:

arcniz
30th Jan 2014, 01:56
Am thinkin they's just the bad-air vents for windowless inner-enclosed spaces... an architectural innovation intended to mitigate "cave-lock", thereby healthier and life incrementally more survivable... for them who pays their rents on time.

ChrisVJ
30th Jan 2014, 03:20
Vents, whether plumbing or enclosed room are more likely to be on each floor.

If wires to the boxes have been removed from the exyerior of the building why were the boxes not removed at the same time?

If there are connections inside the building why run the wires up and down to only one floor when just running them outside on each floor would be as effective? Not for access if the boxes are so high up the wall. These must not have required regular access.

Just thinking out loud.

Sallyann1234
30th Jan 2014, 09:11
Might have been for the old Rabbit system..... remember that ?

No. The old Telepoint services were very short range and located where users could stop to make a call - service stations, shopping malls etc. Not on a noisy junction like this where there is no parking and no shelter. And again there are too many boxes.

Sallyann1234
30th Jan 2014, 13:41
One metal clad mains switch and five very rusty equipment boxes connected with heavy cables. Almost certainly contemporary with the building.

Close-up pictures here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91810659/P1020066.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91810659/P1020064.JPG

edit: Distribution Amplifiers for radio/TV ?

Big Hammer
30th Jan 2014, 14:20
There appears to be a metal cable conduit which goes round the corner and dissappears into the building under a window, so why only into one flat?

Bill16STN
30th Jan 2014, 14:55
Looking at the more detailed images, they seem to show the following:

5 Car Battery proportioned cases, each with what appears to be some heavy duty cabling to each side of each box. Also some lighter weight cabling (without insulation) linking all to each - possibly for earth continuity.

1 Electrical isolation switch box (bottom right) the top of which seems to have been affected by some chemical reaction - could be possibly acid leakage?

An external casing for all of the above.

The overall impression seems (to me) to suggest that there has been a fire within the external housing at some point?

I would suggest some sort of Lead Acid Battery back up unit, maybe / probably for corridor & stairwell lighting (assuming this is a block of flats?)

603DX
30th Jan 2014, 15:37
I would suggest some sort of Lead Acid Battery back up unit, maybe / probably for corridor & stairwell lighting (assuming this is a block of flats?)

Seems possible. Which might explain why it is mounted externally so that any hydrogen from maintenance charging of the lead/acid batteries could dissipate safely into the open air, instead of accumulating in some enclosed part inside the building. (An unsuspecting smoker might have got a nasty shock on lighting up anywhere inside.) The close-up pics from Sallyann1234 are excellent (did you visit the junction to take them?), and show that the overall enclosing box is backless and lidless, as well as frontless, though the vestiges of hinges at the sides may have originally been for screening front doors to hide the clutter from public view.

What a wide variety of suggestions we have all come up with! ;)

Sallyann1234
30th Jan 2014, 16:16
No, I haven't been out today 603DX,but I knew a man who could http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif.

The only thing against the battery theory is that there would need to be a charger between the mains switch and the 'battery' boxes, and there is no sign of that.
I'm sure the hinge mountings point to there having originally been a lid to keep out the weather.

tony draper
30th Jan 2014, 18:45
Hmmm,could be a power supply(batteries) for a anti pigeon system,doing a job on a Newcastle Hotel and was puzzled by thin bare wires run along the window ledges on short metal uprights,the ancient hotel maintenance man told me they were from he olden days and were fed with a voltage that delivered a shock to any pigeon who settled thence.
Ancient Maintenance men were common in old Victorian built hotels,they were the only one who knew the location of all the stop cocks fuse boxes and isolators in the building and refused to pass this information on to anyone thus guaranteeing their continued employment up to and sometimes beyond their nineties.
:rolleyes:

SpringHeeledJack
30th Jan 2014, 19:52
Ancient Maintenance men were common in old Victorian built hotels,they were the only one who knew the location of all the stop cocks fuse boxes and isolators in the building and refused to pass this information on to anyone thus guaranteeing their continued employment up to and sometimes beyond their nineties.

Speaking of which, I recall a factory that I visited in a working capacity that had been taken over 3 times in 40 years due to amalgamations etc and the one thing that hadn't changed was......the caretaker/ancient maintenance man who due to his extensive and comprehensive knowledge of every nut and bolt had been 'inherited' by each successive owner. He had started there after being de-mobbed after WW2 and was still there, looking and acting remarkably youthful at 86 years of age :eek:

I retract my pollution station supposition after seeing the incredibly clear photos from Sallyann1234 and would agree that they would appear to be either old transformers or battery cases of some kind. Perhaps they were situated on the exterior of the building to allay buzzing (as transformers are wont to do) and to keep them cool, especially as they are situated on the shady side of the structure :8

SHJ

Windy Militant
30th Jan 2014, 20:50
Coo Sallyann123 your man that does, must have enormous equipment to get such clear shots, with such lovely depth of field.;);)
There's what could be a fuse or switch box there and I wonder looking at what looks like pitch coming out for one of the other boxes whether it's a battery box or a joint box. I can't think that cables of that gauge would be used for emergency lighting. It's more the sort of thing you see on starter motors or some thing that draws a heavy current. Even machine tools don't use that sort of stuff except welders.
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

johngreen
30th Jan 2014, 21:14
From my present vantage point here in Melbourne down under, I would suggest that there was once a large probably vertical neon sign attached to that very prominent corner of the building in the fashion of the original Odeon signs.

The multiple cases are transformers with the very thick, well insulated high voltage leads visible and the box in the lower right is the mains isolating switch.

I expect upon closer inspection of the building fabric, some sign of the fixtures of such a sign would be visible although in the images so far seen, I cannot see them with any certainty.

But then again…

jg

Sallyann1234
30th Jan 2014, 21:20
I haven't seen his equipment Windy but I believe he's very proud of it :E. The little job got him out of his office at lunchtime anyway.
You will notice that those cables are all screened and carefully earthed, which suggests they are not simple heavy-current conductors. I still lean towards signal distribution. Perhaps Google might throw up a picture of something along those lines, if you have some time to browse.

vulcanised
30th Jan 2014, 21:25
I would say johngreen has nailed it http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Windy Militant
30th Jan 2014, 22:41
Bingo johngreen

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Neon_transformer.jpg/640px-Neon_transformer.jpg
Neon sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_sign)
not identical but close enough.
I wonder what shops occupied the building when it was first built and knowing that sort of thing was popular in the thirties, added to which according to the wiki 80% of neon sign failures is the burnout of the high voltage electrical wires connecting the tubes inside of metal conduits
of which there is evidence in the pictures of the cabinet.
looks like case closed. :ok:

Sallyann1234
31st Jan 2014, 08:49
That certainly seems the answer. The residents in those corner rooms probably didn't like the lights flashing right outside their windows.

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 10:06
must have enormous equipment to get such clear shots, with such lovely depth of field

I'm sorry, what "lovely depth of field" ? :confused:

It was taken at f5.6 at 189mm on a LUMIX G VARIO 45-200mm F4-5.6 attached to a Panasonic DMC-G2.

So general photograph and its depth of field is exactly what you'd expect for f5.6 on an average camera in auto mode.... i.e. distinctly average.

Certainly not an award winning photo, if anything, for a start its underexposed.

Still, to give it its due, it does fulfil its purpose as far as this thread is concerned.

Pelikal
31st Jan 2014, 13:01
mixture, you wind-up!

with such lovely depth of field.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif I think Windy's comment was tongue in cheek...

some sign of the fixtures of such a sign would be visible although in the images so far seen, I cannot see them with any certainty.
Maybe those 'overflow pipes' running vertically are in fact the fixtures. They fit in with the idea of a narrow vertical sign. Maybe the photographer could have a go at shooting a close up of one.

Google is p!ssing me off. Can't find any 30's pics of the building. I'll try and find the name of the Architects. Does that junction have a name? Something circus?

Sallyann1234
31st Jan 2014, 13:53
Well I don't think he'd want to spend another lunch break taking photos in the rain, but here's one taken from further away that shows the 'pipes'. Judge for yourself.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91810659/P1020060.JPG

I have a town planning expert making some phone calls. Hoping for a report later.

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 14:19
I think Windy's comment was tongue in cheek...

I knew that.... just fancied a bit of Friday fun. :cool:

Pelikal
31st Jan 2014, 14:20
Sallyann1234, that photo is clear enough. I'm going for toilet overflow pipes:confused: as does my Architect friend. They are clearly no fixing for a ruddy great neon!

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 14:21
Google is p!ssing me off. Can't find any 30's pics of the building.

I found a couple, but they are (a) too small and (b) taken from the wrong angle.

Something circus?

No, it's not that exciting. Its just a spot where two busy roads happen to cross, rather than being the point of convergence that constitutes a circus.

Sallyann1234
31st Jan 2014, 15:01
Yes Pelikal they really do look like overflow pipes as I suggested from the original picture. But did you notice the metal plate immediately under the concrete ledge? That may have been some sort of fixing.

Anyway, I have been passed a story as follows. In 1938 when this block was built, an illuminated sign was put up to advertise the flats for sale - it was quite a prestigious development at the time. The following year with the outbreak of war, all such signs were hastily removed because of the blackout and to avoid the danger of falling glass. The control box could have been left in place with the idea of replacing the sign after the war, and it may have been - there's no information on this. Apparently there are black-and-white photos of the new block in an archive, it's unknown whether they show the sign.

Pelikal
31st Jan 2014, 15:06
Ha! Can't find any 30's pics because it wasn't built then....:ugh:

Edith Villas, Fulham, London, housing designed for the London County Council (ca. 1953) by N. F. Cachemaille-Day

Airey Belvoir
31st Jan 2014, 15:06
They are overflow pipes. Looking at street view every floor has the same pipes between the smaller windows on the brick section below.

Sallyann1234
31st Jan 2014, 15:08
Pelikal -it's NOT Edith Villas. It's West Kensington Court.

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 15:14
Edith Villas, Fulham, London, housing designed for the London County Council (ca. 1953) by N. F. Cachemaille-Day

As Sallyann points out (and I pointed out a number of posts before that)... its West Kensington Court...... keep up old chap !

handsfree
31st Jan 2014, 15:23
Those are overflow pipes.
I've found a layout for one of the rounded flats that was for sale.
Bathroom is the little window on the right, kitchen on the left.

Oddly I've found several for sale ads with the photo labelled West Kensington Court on some and and one labelled Edith's Villas. Definitely our building though.

Pelikal
31st Jan 2014, 15:26
WTF:bored: Why this in the opening post? Edith Villas (http://goo.gl/maps/q7KsY)

handsfree
31st Jan 2014, 15:29
Oddly I've found several for sale ads with the photo labelled West Kensington Court on some and and one labelled Edith's Villas. Definitely our building thoughSorry I slipped that in as an edit above.

And here is one that combines the two

2 bedroom flat for sale in West Kensington Court, Edith Villas, West Kensington, W14 (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33509092.html)

And this is what happened to the original Edith Villas in 1942

30th December 1942: ?Nuisance bombing? ends the holiday week in Britain (http://ww2today.com/30th-december-1942-nuisance-bombing-ends-the-holiday-week-in-britain)

Airey Belvoir
31st Jan 2014, 15:48
The 1953 build is on the north side of the road called Edith Villas.

The 1945 version of google earth shows "our" building intact and no apparent bomb damage.

G-CPTN
31st Jan 2014, 15:51
The brick bond pattern indicates that the wall was 9 inch thick solid rather than single 4½ inch cavity construction.
Would such be used in 1953? Probably in 1938.

Oh, and there's only 5 boxes (in addition to the switch box) so unlikely to be supplies/indicators/whatever for a building with six storeys.
Five colours of neon? Maybe five tubes?

India Four Two
31st Jan 2014, 16:05
Someone early on mentioned Critall windows, but it interesting to see in SallyAnn's closeup photos that the windows are double-glazed. Very sympathetic installation, though.

Airey Belvoir
31st Jan 2014, 16:07
OK. Just so that we're all singing from the same hymn sheet......

the building in question was built in 1938 and appeared to suffer no significant bomb damage. The 1953 buildings are across the road from "our" building and appear to have been built where the bombing took place.

These are the relevant google shotshttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/BUILDING_zps6fc39093.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/allan907/media/BUILDING_zps6fc39093.jpg.html)

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 16:56
Definitely our building though.

You are unfortunate enough to live there ?

(No doubt just your turn of phrase though !)

mixture
31st Jan 2014, 16:58
WTF Why this in the opening post? Edith Villas

Edith Villas is the name of the side road, ma cherie.

Airey Belvoir
1st Feb 2014, 00:45
(No doubt just your turn of phrase though !)

And that's why I put the quotation marks around it - but maybe you missed that .

Windy Militant
1st Feb 2014, 09:35
WTF Why this in the opening post? Edith Villas
Because when I posted the goggle link it was at the end of the URL and as at that time I hadn't seen the front of the building I assumed that the block was named after the road. :p

And the reference to Depth of Field was a nod towards another thread! Do Keep Up 007! :p

West Kensington Court was built in 1938 I've read that in a couple of histories of the borough but have been unable to find any pictures of building which is odd, as someone mentioned it was a sizeable development so you'd think there would have been quite a bit of hoop la when it opened. Possibly the build up to the war meant that the opening was a low key event and any pictures taken were lost in the Blitz.

Windy Militant
1st Feb 2014, 11:03
I reckon the boxes are water softeners to supply drinking water to individual flats.
One slight flaw in that, water softeners need a regular supply of salt as a catalyst.
Might be a descaler system but looking at the pipes they don't have any verdigris which you'd expect from copper pipes, they're not iron as they'd have elbow fittings on the bends not swept ones.

The plot congeals!

Sallyann1234
1st Feb 2014, 11:07
Interesting thought henry.

There are a few of points against it though.
1. If you look at Street View all around the block, there are no other cabinets like this (I checked to see if they needed photos as well). The 'pipes' here do not have sufficient capacity to feed more than a very few flats.
2. Water pipes in an exposed location like this, even inside a metal cabinet, would need extensive lagging, and there is no trace of such. And your 'beefy' water pipe running along the wall is entirely unprotected.
3. Where are the stop cocks that would be needed to isolate the supplies for maintenance?

My only experience, with one water softener, is that it needed regular maintenance. Would this be a suitable place for such work?

Sallyann1234
1st Feb 2014, 11:42
Who left an old pair of knickers up there?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91810659/Knickers.jpg

Sallyann1234
1st Feb 2014, 14:14
External water pipes of that era run outside unprotected.So what happens in freezing weather - no drinking water, and the pipes split?
System would supply very limited amounts of drinking waterShared around all those flats, who regulates the distribution if one greedy user leaves their tap running?
One stopcock within would suffice.Then why not put whole system indoors - it's not that huge. A sensible location would be in the roof space, adjacent to the cold water storage tanks - far better than sticking it halfway up an outside wall in the most conspicuous place possible. Even more sensible would be to not pipe a parallel duplicate water system throughout the block, but to install a small water filter in each flat running off its normal supply.

Definitely pipes, though, look at the grounding straps! It's not just pipes that have grounding straps. Fluorescent lights cause severe interference to long and medium wave radio reception - which is all they had in 1938. Long cables would be screened to reduce radiation.
Some of those 'pipes' have extremely sharp bends, yet none of them are flattened at the corners as one might expect. And why are there no compression fittings to connect them to the boxes, as there would be for any other sort of plumbing appliance?

I still think johngreen has it.

Windy Militant
1st Feb 2014, 14:47
Possibly cables like the stuff on the left, not water pipes. the sheathing acts as earth hence the bonding, used in the thirties. on closer examination the pipes appear to be cut off and bent and not enter the wall, although the conduit does appear to come through the wall next to them. Possibly there was external lighting on the face of the building at one time now replaced by the street lighting columns below?
Maybe the switch box was left live which is why it wasn't removed at the time.
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11415/TinLeadSheath.jpg
from here Lighting-Gallery-net - Home (http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php)

Airey Belvoir
4th Feb 2014, 00:50
Do we have a definitive answer yet?

The other mystery running on here, the "Help in finding this rock" thread has now been solved so there's only this one to go.

Pelikal
5th Feb 2014, 13:29
architects.com (http://www.architecture.com/Home.aspx)

and a link on the page to:

ribapix (http://www.ribapix.com/index.php)

Others with better search skills than myself may find something. If there was a neon sign I did wonder whether it could have been attached to the scaffolding during construction rather than the building itself, hence no visible fixings on the building.

Pelikal
7th Feb 2014, 19:29
Well, guess this is finished with.....:O

GrumpyOldFart
7th Feb 2014, 21:24
Shame on Sally's lackey for leaving us all in suspense. ;) One would have expected him to follow up on his photographic foray - perhaps through the local planning office, or the building's management company.

I'm thinking there may have been a car showroom at street level when first built - possibly one of the smaller luxury manufacturers, using a prime location on the then-new main road to the west. The RMI may have an archivist, or The Autocar magazine?

Windy Militant
7th Feb 2014, 22:39
Been away in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Jockistan, but before I went I had a dig around the interweb. I found loads of stuff about the local area, building the West way fly over, Barons Keep flats, but other than the afore mentioned references and estate agents ads, Bo diddley about West Ken Courts.
As it's mentioned as being a residence for young professionals you'd think there'd be pictures taken of the bright young things moving in but it's almost as if the records have been deliberately expunged. :hmm:

A A Gruntpuddock
7th Feb 2014, 22:58
Found this site but the names mentioned mean nothing to me and it doesn't seem to have a proper search facility. Perhaps someone local might recognise a description?

The Library Time Machine (http://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/)

Windy Militant
7th Feb 2014, 23:04
Mr Gruntpuddock
That's the site I found reference to the place being built in 1938. Other than that I drew a blank.

Pelikal
16th Apr 2014, 18:12
Windy, after many, many hours of painstaking research I have finally uncovered:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/RobJHP/Edith%20Villas%20mystery/PPRuNetowersflat850px_zpsf7a8b458.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/RobJHP/media/Edith%20Villas%20mystery/PPRuNetowersflat850px_zpsf7a8b458.jpg.html)

:O:O:O

Windy Militant
16th Apr 2014, 19:42
Blimey Pelikal, they put that lot up rather sharpish. Cos it weren't there when I went past today, heading east about 09:50hrs UTC or on my return around 13:45 hrs utc! ;)

Must be photoshopped mind you the light in windows.......