PDA

View Full Version : US Crew Visa

EMB170
28th Jan 2014, 17:57
Could somebody please confirm crew visa requirements for US .!

our company is on the visa waiver program and says, crew doesn't need visa.
Is this correct?
All the info i can find is that crew still needs crew visa.

Would be grateful for an answer or link to approriate document.

Thanks

dallas
28th Jan 2014, 18:16
All crew need a C1/D and possibly B1 visa to work as flight crew in the US. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows signatory carriers to carry non-visa holding pax carrying passports from VWP approved countries, and I think comes with some bond responsibilities for errant pax. A non-approved carrier cannot carry a non-visa holding pax, even a VWP passport holder.

The VWP is otherwise an agreement allowing irregular visitors (passengers) to travel to the US without visa, but only a passport holder from a VWP country! And they must still complete ESTA.

Also don't forget, pilots and aircraft need to be listed on a TSA Waiver with all itin points listed, especially internal sectors, and all crew/pax submitted on an APIS prior to arrival (ideally prior to departure in case of problem).

This info is a guide only and not to be used in place of official information :)

flydive1
28th Jan 2014, 19:36
Get both visas, C1/D and B1/B2, at some airport they ask for one at others for the other.

eAPIS must be submitted at least 1 hour before departure.

EMB170
28th Jan 2014, 19:55
thank you that confirms what i thought. i was previously operating privately and now work for charter operator who is on VWP and suggestes crew doesn't need crew visa !
Thanks
EMB170

Dutchman
28th Jan 2014, 20:16
C1/D1 if commercial flight
B1/B2 if private, as according to immigration laws you are not technically crew but passenger/owner

dallas
28th Jan 2014, 20:39
C1/D is for crew members. B1 is a business visa - I believe the difference is you can do an in/out with a C1/D and fly internally as crew with a B1, so wise to have both if you get the anal TSA guy.

His dudeness
28th Jan 2014, 20:59
A few years back we tried to get an answer to this question...in the end we applied for a C1/D and with the identical paperwork we both got to the embassy on the same day... I left with a 5 year C1/D, my colleague with a C1/D & B1/B2 for ten. How these things work ? I donīt know.

BTW, the call center you call is useless: had a romanian student taking my call and way more than 100 USD later he and his supervisor still could not answer the friggin question...

Btw, then NO ONE bothered to check the Visa we had when we picked up the aircraft from Cessna....

fnorman
19th Nov 2017, 00:25
Not quite all - citizens of Canada or Bermuda do not need a crew visa. All crew need a C1/D and possibly B1 visa to work as flight crew in the US. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows signatory carriers to carry non-visa holding pax carrying passports from VWP approved countries, and I think comes with some bond responsibilities for errant pax. A non-approved carrier cannot carry a non-visa holding pax, even a VWP passport holder.

The VWP is otherwise an agreement allowing irregular visitors (passengers) to travel to the US without visa, but only a passport holder from a VWP country! And they must still complete ESTA.

Also don't forget, pilots and aircraft need to be listed on a TSA Waiver with all itin points listed, especially internal sectors, and all crew/pax submitted on an APIS prior to arrival (ideally prior to departure in case of problem).

This info is a guide only and not to be used in place of official information :)

CaptainProp
19th Nov 2017, 12:14
B1 visa is required if positioning in to, or out of the US, as passenger on a regular carrier to pick up duty in the US on your aircraft, or departing the US after having operated in as crew on your D visa. This has been confirmed to me by US authorities both in ORD and EWR.

The VWP is for "travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less" however the VWP website also states that as far as "business" its only for:

"- consult with business associates
- attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
- attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
- negotiate a contract"

....none of which remotely describes what we are doing and supports the information given to me.

Having said that, the D visa is for crew on a "commercial airplane". The US gov website also states "If you travel to the United States to join the vessel you will work on, in addition to a crewmember (D) visa, you also need a transit (C-1) visa or a combination C-1/D visa." Again, I presume C1/D is good for all commercial ops travel requirements but B1 is required for private ops. It doesn't specifically say this on the US gov website but it does state that if "You are a crew member on a private yacht" you will require a B1 visa. Private yacht, private aircraft, same same I would say.

It's never really that clear is it? ;-)

CP

Marlon Brando
19th Nov 2017, 19:14
First time we've flown in The US, I had a valid passport, that's it !

No visa, no ESTa, just my passport. I was surprised as well, asked about it to the captain, but he said "you're flight crew, no visa".

EU national, N registerd aircraft, private owner.