PDA

View Full Version : A script on this page may be busy ......

Capetonian
28th Jan 2014, 17:09
OK, I am ashamed to be asking this, for two reasons, but can anyone tell me how to solve it, please.

I am ashamed first because I have to confess to reading the Daily Wail, and also because I should be able to solve this.

What happens is that when I go onto a couple of websites, the DM is the one it seems to happen on mostly, the computer freezes and then this message pops up. It happened earlier while I was booking a ticket on the Stena Lines website.

It doesn't happen on my newer Lenovo with W8, it's on my older Asus with W7 Home Premium SP1, and FF26.0. The machine has 2GB RAM and a (TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz 32 bit. No idea what that means, I just copied it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/Script%20error.JPG

mixture
28th Jan 2014, 17:31
What happens if you try Firefox in safe mode ? (hold down shift at launch)

onetrack
29th Jan 2014, 02:15
I find the problem occurs on an irregular basis, usually on websites where there is a vast amount of scripting for ads, or video links, such as news sites.

It can happen when you have a slowdown in network speed due to a large number of users on your ISP or router - it can happen when someone working on the website is doing an upgrade or modification to the webpage (this happens hundreds of times a day on news sites) - or it can happen when a large number of users log onto the site within a short period (for an interesting or developing news article of great general interest).

I find if I just kill the page and reload it, via the Chrome browse history button, it will generally reload without problems.

We have no problem with you asking a "dumb" question - but we do have a problem with you admitting your transgression about reading the DM. There's nothing we can offer for penance for that. :p

Sunnyjohn
29th Jan 2014, 21:03
This used to happen to me quite a bit but the problem has now disappeared. I think, for me, it was because I had limited memory on my old Mac, my browser was memory-heavy - I was using Firefox then - and there are peak times when our ISP provider loses it a bit. Since purchasing a Mac with a lot of memory and changing from Firefox to SRWare Iron, which is a memory-light browser, I've had no more trouble. I know a lot of you like Firefox but Mrs SJ uses it and I am forever sorting out some glitch or other, usually because it has too many bells and whistles, all of which want to run at the same time.

Phalconphixer
29th Jan 2014, 23:44
OH has an Acer Aspire Netbook, (160Gb HDD and 1Gb RAM) with XP. F/F v26.0 and Avast2014 and constantly gets this same problem on a forum that she used to contribute to frequently. The forum does tend to be Ad. heavy... I'm pretty well convinced that its the combined effects of the F/F and Avast demanding to much in the way of RAM resources.

These problems have only recently arisen with updates in F/F and Avast. cant do mush about the RAM; according to Crucial the highest RAM upgrade would be 2Gb but only 1.6Gb would actually be used. She is on a 30Mbps cable service from Virgin, so download speed shouldnt be a problem.
Having said all that, my Vista SP2 Acer desktop currently uses only 1Gb RAM and has the same versions of F/F and Avast as my wifes and I have absolutely no problem with the aforementioned forum site..

Wifey seems to think her problem is somehow 'Chrome' related but she hasnt got this on her computer. The only connection with Google is that she uses google as her main search engine... but there again so do I... Baffling...

Capetonian
30th Jan 2014, 07:41
Thank you all. I think I just have to live with it. Or stop reading the Daily Scale!

cattletruck
30th Jan 2014, 10:41
Too many JavaScripts doing too many unimportant things, eventually one or two of them would barf for reasons not worth looking into (incompatibility, poor code, low memory, resource contention, etc) and throw this error.

Generally you just ignore them, I just installed the NoScript plugin and hope it improves my web surfing experience.

Edited to add I had to 'allow' ibsrv.net to allow formatting of my posts.

CelticRambler
30th Jan 2014, 17:33
Used to suffer this a lot on an older machine, prior to a memory upgrade, on several sites. The upgrade made it go away, but it's come back with a vengence in the last couple of weeks, accompanied by stuttering and lagging on certain sites while waiting to connect to [WTF-do-I-want-from-there-site] It serves to highlight how much of the internet's traffic is due to the shuffling of electronic junk.

henry_crun
1st Feb 2014, 13:53
I get this if I work my machine too hard (or a website does same). Whether to let it go on or whether to kill and try again is simply a matter of experience. Sometimes it doesn't present the kill option until it's cleared and is ready to go on, but others need killing and re-engagement. Best to close all windows, stop all processes, stop all apps, clear history, cache, cookies, helps to speed up the machine. Do a restart of course. If all else fails kill the entire system and reinstall from factory supplied disc / do factory reset.

Reading the Daily fem is not an option. Try something else.......anything else!

PS google hates adblock - I suspect a connection

Booglebox
1st Feb 2014, 15:02
I've had this too with FF 26 on Win 7, 8, and 8.1. Changing to FF 24 ESR (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/) fixes it. :8