PDA

View Full Version : easyjet wants to buys the World

RAT 5
14th May 2002, 20:42
Can we believe the Newspapers?

UK Times last Saturday had a piece about Barbara C. being in a huff with EJ. Nothing new there, and seems quite true.

Swiftly followed by leaks and confirmation that EJ is flirting with Deutsche BA, and might even talk with the unions. Given Ray W's attitude towards unions, that would be a real treat to witness and eaves drop on. But again true.

The next article is the stunner. Irish Times at the weekend. "If the Deutsche BA deal goes ahead it will enhance the prospects of an EJ takeover of Ryan Air."

WOW! I think they'll need to speed up the Irish peace talks significantly.

An analyst had the opinion that neither a GO merger or D. BA would present a monopoly and mergers problem, but could the Irish element be 'a take over too far.'

I don't know what they're smoking in easyland, but it's having wierd effects. Tell me it's all fantasy. If I was a major institutional share holder I'd be scared stiff.

FlapsOne
14th May 2002, 20:57
EJ has not expressed any interest whatsoever in Ryanair. What fantasy jouno dreamt that one up?

EZ have made an offer for GO as 3i have obviously expressed a little more tnan interest in selling it's 80% holding. Barbara Cassani is set against it and is trying to drum up support from her other shareholders.

The DBA matter is an OPTION to purchase IF certain criteria are met or considered practicable. The assessment of that is already under way.

There is no question of EZ even contemplating a move on Ryanair as far as I can see - a: it's not likely to come up for sale and b: I doubt they could afford it even if it were.

insideinfo
14th May 2002, 22:24
Actually guys if you will tune in to BBC news on friday at 0700 eJ will announce the completion of the purchase of GO. They will also confirm the secondment of Go's operation director (simmons) as the person in charge of the integration of Go within eJ. All current bases bases of Go will continue to exist and the confirmed order of Airbus will be used to integrate Go's network within eJ. All Ops personnel will be moved to easyLand, all flight crew will be given the option to sign an eJ contract with continuation of existing shareoptions. eJ's goal is to complete integration within 6 months including repainting and refurbishing all of Go's aircraft. BC will not be included in the restructuring of the bigger eJ. And NO there is no talk of purchasing Ryan Air as their concept is aimed at "extreme low cost leisure" market unlike eJ's focus on the business market.
Three of eJ's managers have set off to Munich with the express instructions to change DBA's booking system to internet only ASAP. This will be the first step in converting DBA as a low cost carrier, eJ is not throwing away 600k a month without trying to make it work....

Thursday is a big day for both eJ and 3i, it will be the first board meeting chaired not by stelios at eJ and it will be the day of final year end results of 3i after a dismal year of bodged investments in telecomm so it is crucial for both companies to show an united front in the largest public sale of 3i and buyout of eJ.
A rights issue will be announced shortly after the first press release meaning a dillution of shares and an unavoidable drop in share price of eJ. 3i is insiting on cash payment and no eJ shares, as a matter of fact eJ sold its latest delivery of the new 700 to a leasing company yesterday to strenghten its balance sheet.

eJ has a long way to go to regain the "favourite son" status of the LSE...

In the opinion of many insiders at both Go and eJ, this could be a marriage made in heaven if and only if all personnel involved believe in the joint airline.

Quite a few of Go's upper management will elect not to be a part of the new airline and will be handsomely rewarded to put up and ship out both in severance pay and Go/3i shares.

watch this space.....

dwlpl
14th May 2002, 22:53
insideinfo,

What will be the destinations served by the new look airline and from which bases?

insideinfo
14th May 2002, 23:01
eJ has always been in competition with Go from its first day of insurrection. Remember the "Orange Brigade" trying to steal the limelight on Go's first flight. eJ did try to purchase Go last year when BA put it up for sale but was rebuted its 100mill offer. I will now have to be an 300% premium bearing in mind that eJ's value has also increased in excess of 300% so that is kind of a mute point.

There is no indication at all that eJ will abolish any of Go's routes or bases.

It will endeavour to integrate both airlines as fast as humanly possible, including new livery,uniforms and contracts. eJ is still not sure what to do with the corporate contracts that Go holds with businesses. eJ is adament however it will abolish all contracts with travel agents in place. eJ refuses to pay anyone a commision for seats sold that they can sell themselves a lot more efficiently.

dwlpl
14th May 2002, 23:12
EasyJet is fond of using the phrase "joining up all the dots", ie all the bases will be served from each other.

But with easyJets fleet flying for approx 18 hours per day they have no slack to fly any more routes. Does Go have spare aircraft, or new aircraft coming on line, to serve the "new" airlines enlarged route network from easyJets current bases?

insideinfo
14th May 2002, 23:23
eJ decided not to sell its planned "old aircraft" and to accelerate delivery of its confirmed order with Boeing.
This will facilitate the initial burden of integration of both operations.

eJ has two planned deliveries of 700's next month. The current summer schedule does not need these extra aircraft and they will be used to "connect the dots". eJ will never revert back to a hub-and-spoke operation.

As an interesting tidbit of insideinfo eJ apparantly opened their BFS base this week. However they appear not to have any flight crew based there only cabin even though they have three or four ac spending the night there.

The only routes in jeopardy at Go will be Uk-Scotland since Go cannot meet the frequency,price or punctuality of eJ, especially on the EDI and GLA routes.

In a seperate issue can we change the post to reflect eJ's true intention:

eJ does not want to buy the world just Europe...

VIKING9
15th May 2002, 06:55
So with any luck, Ms Cassini will take her lump sum from 3i, a bunch of good guys and gals, and start up another carrier ;)

I'd be with her all the way on that one........

Nacaduck
15th May 2002, 07:53
BFS will have pilots based there from 1st June although these are existing Crew members who wish to be at home in NI. Further recruitment for BFS has taken a back seat to more urgent priorities like LGW. It is anticipated that more Pilots will be employed for BFS later in the year with the Winter schedule likely to hail the full opening of the Base. Cabin Crew have been there since 1st April with some Mainland based Crew being paid handsome bonuses, to make up the numbers, until a full compliment of locals can be found.
Of course there are some NI folk working for GO and I suppose these may also wish to be Based there. Probably wise that all current staff get their preferred choice before any new people are recruited.
In BFS, the future is most definitely Orange.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Astronut
15th May 2002, 08:39
I can not see this merger being too good for pilots. Where before you had two companies competing for pilots now there will be only one, keeping pay, terms and conditions down. Too bad for the EZY pilots who left them to join GO.

Insideinfo.. will GO continue to hire their own workforce?

nice_beaver
15th May 2002, 09:20
Insider,

You do seem to have a lot of info with regards to the deal and future operation but surely the bit about Go's existing order for Airbus is wide of the mark. There was some speculation on these pages over a possible deal but this has since been denied and Airbus have continued to deny any knowledge of preferrential talks with Go let alone made any announcement confirming orders. In fact a search of a number of aviation news sights still fails to come up with any confirmed news of new aircraft purchase by Go?

faq
15th May 2002, 09:26
With reference to the title of this thread, so did Swissair once.

fokker
15th May 2002, 15:18
Hmmm.......p'raps they could call it 'GoEasy'.

:rolleyes:

Fly_Right
15th May 2002, 19:45
It was easy.com now it will be easy.go

Go staff: prepare to get Tangoed!

FlyingIrishman
15th May 2002, 20:27
EZY are in no position to even think about Ryanair, so this report is a load of old b*llocks!
Ryanair is worth far more than easyJet, bigger and more profitable. On top of that, MOL is not interested in mergers or takeovers.
How can EZY even think about taking over Europe's most successful (low fares) airline?

J THOMPSON
15th May 2002, 20:37
Seems to me that everyone is getting their knickers in a twist.
If and when EJ buys GO, then the enhanced route network will work to everyones advantage. Lower cost base, larger fleet, larger network. :D . Lets have no sour grapes, EJ is not a bad co to work for, as long as the money is in the bank regularly then we are all happy. The grass is always greener on the other side, beleive me i've spent a long time over there.

outofsynch
15th May 2002, 21:40
Certainly a brave assumption, that all Go pilots will want to sign an Ej contract. "going Orange' is certainly not a popular opinion in the group.

Lord Fulmer
15th May 2002, 22:50
Out of the Easy bases, which ones are sought after ( i.e. no vacancies), and which ones are available for transfer/basing at ?

paperpusher
16th May 2002, 02:04
Who is this Simmons? he's not from GO..
Ops staff from Go to move too Easyland, I don't think so, Easyland just couldn't cope, its bust'n at the seams now.
With regard to Airbus, Go confirmed that IT IS in exclusive talks with Airbus. Integration in 6 mths, that really is rushing it, a year at least seems more likely. Well we will see.:confused:

Few Cloudy
16th May 2002, 07:47
FAQ, I thought about that too, however there are important differences:

Swissair, after the citizens voted against any Schengen involvement, was desperate to form a new alliance - as it didn't want to be swallowed up by an existing one and "lose its identity". They did this by buying up or into what airlines were left - ie the ones other people did not want, in a haphazard and precipitate way. This fatal error, encouraged by their consulting agency, led directly to their demise. Nobody wanted to believe it until it was too late.

easyJet has a business plan. The plan did not originally include buying other airlines, although easy did buy TEA Switzerland a while back (and burned its fingers on an old tax debt by so doing). That these airlines are suddenly available, with routes and slots which enhance, rather than threaten easyJet's structure means that the possibility has to be looked into. Only a very flexible company with good cash backing can do this.

Swissair was the very opposite of flexible and the cash backers were less and less enamoured of their policy. We observers can only wait and see but I have a better feeling about things this time around.