PDA

View Full Version : Financial pressure versus Aircraft maintenance and safety

TCAS 2
27th Jan 2014, 21:25
Any views?
Comercial and finacial pressure with some operators seems to out-weigh maintenance and safety!!

deefer dog
28th Jan 2014, 07:40
Personally I am of the opinion that over regulation and the introduction of extra layers of mandated oversight, as exampled by EASA's approach, is more likely to create financial hardship that introduces the incentive for cutting of corners.

The cost of regulatory compliance, keeping abreast of rule changes and the forests of paperwork it all generates is mind numbing and far exceeds the SARPs specified by ICAO.

And don't get me on the subject of the shiny new palace that EASA will soon be housing themselves in! Guess who will be paying for that....just so they can all feast on their exorbitant expenses in a nicer part of town?

His dudeness
28th Jan 2014, 08:01
dd is spot on. And that is true for both commercial and corperate operators.

I wonder what would happen if anyone would dare to ask half of the $hite in EASA Ops for non comm ops for a private car or boat owner.

Total overkill and the typical thing when a parliament does not control the implications of what they have asked bureaucrats to create, thats what EASA is. A monster let loose.

If I were to have a small comm aviation ops, Iīd close it down. In 2000 they had to change to JAROPS, something around 2008 to EU-OPS and now EASA-OPS.
Has anything the clowns invented brought aviation safety forward. Me donīt think so. But the cost have gone through the roof.

LGW Vulture
28th Jan 2014, 08:45
On a corporate level, you would be amazed to see still the lack of oversight provided by certain member states. I've just done a records check of an aircraft operated and managed by an EASA AOC operator (a founder member I hasten to add) that was totally swanning round with even the slightest hint of intervention by the Authority. There were items of maintenance that required completion at the next check which was missed by everyone, simply because the supposed CAMO filed all paperwork without calling up the required actions. It was then we find out that the approved maintenance programme was nowhere to be found! This is 2014 FFS!!

You talk about over regulation but when the member states fail to provide any semblance of oversight then it's totally worthless. This industry still amazes me sometimes! :ugh:

His dudeness
28th Jan 2014, 09:53
That is EXACTLY what overregulation will achieve: nothing.

Make fewer rules and DRIVE them.

Mike Echo
28th Jan 2014, 11:21
D.D. Sums up my thoughts more politely than I ever could!
Just so glad I'm no longer involved in AOC's.
Mike Echo