PDA

View Full Version : Walking from Ethiopia to Tierra del Fuego

Capetonian
27th Jan 2014, 16:58
Journalist Paul Salopek embarks on a seven-year global trek from Africa to Tierra Del Fuego, following in the footsteps of our restless forebears.

Out Of Eden Walk - Dispatches from the Field from Paul Salopek (http://outofedenwalk.nationalgeographic.com/)

As a long time subscriber to National Geographic, I never fail to be amazed at the bravery, or foolhardiness, of some of the people they feature.

This one is well worth following. I hope others will enjoy it as much as I am.

http://s.ngm.com/2013/12/out-of-eden/img/salopek-leading-camels-615.jpg

Lonewolf_50
27th Jan 2014, 17:02
How is he going to walk across the Bering Straits and the Panama Canal?

Capetonian
27th Jan 2014, 17:11
Obviously, he's not, there's a little poetic licence. Don't be such a cynic!

con-pilot
27th Jan 2014, 17:15

Swim perhaps*. :E

Hell, I could make the same trip, cept I'd use a G-550 or a Global Express or a Falcon 7X. :p

* Actually there is a bridge that goes over the Panama Canal, I've been on it enough, he could walk over the canal on that.

But for the Bering Straits, hope he's a real good swimmer.

tony draper
27th Jan 2014, 17:19
Lets face it the sensible people came out of Africa and stopped when they got to England.
:rolleyes:

SpringHeeledJack
27th Jan 2014, 17:21
Lets face it the sensible people came out of Africa and stopped when they got to England.

Aren't we all from Africa anyhow ?

SHJ

Lonewolf_50
27th Jan 2014, 17:37
:rolleyes:
After a few tens of thousands of years becoming Celts, Danes, Angles and Saxons ... sure. :p

Another chorus, lads:

"Rule Britannia
Marmelade and jam
You may not be from here
But I sure am!

pigboat
27th Jan 2014, 18:30
Looks like he plans to introduce camels to T del F.

Sallyann1234
27th Jan 2014, 19:02
And they are still coming...

dead_pan
27th Jan 2014, 19:09

Does the Bering sea freeze over during the winter, or has climate change put an end to that?

OFSO
27th Jan 2014, 19:37
I'm currently reading Tim Cope's journey:

In June 2004 Tim set off on an epic journey, 10,000km from Mongolia to Hungary by Horse - a journey that eventually took him more than three years...

..and am filled with admiration at what he did and a lot of head-shaking as by my standards it was so foolhardy.

The admiration exceeds the head-shaking !

con-pilot
27th Jan 2014, 19:52
Does the Bering sea freeze over during the winter,

The Bering Sea or the Bering Straits?

Airey Belvoir
27th Jan 2014, 23:38
Aren't we all from Africa anyhow ?

Shhh!! Otherwise spending on benefits will go through the roof.

Dushan
28th Jan 2014, 01:41
I hope he wears something warmer than that skirt when he gets to the Bering Sea/Straight.

RatherBeFlying
28th Jan 2014, 01:59
I presume he will trade in his camels for huskies or reindeer when entering the taiga.

Lots of folks have walked over the Bering Straits in the last 20K-some years -- or he might pull out his Amex card to charter an umiak;)

Now what would have happened if a Mongol tribe had crossed the strait with horses and had made their way to Mexico in time to welcome Cortez:E

con-pilot
28th Jan 2014, 16:38
Lots of folks have walked over the Bering Straits in the last 20K-some years

Yup, back when there was an actual land bridge. The currents are too strong for ice to form an actual ice bridge across the Bering Straits.

But hey, thanks to natural climate change, there is more ice in the Bering Sea than ever recorded before man was around to to keep such records.

So, who knows, with the new nature caused climate change ice age coming up, one just might be able to walk or even drive all the way across the Bering Straits. :p

But that would be pretty bad news for Canada, as it might be covered with ice again. :uhoh: