PDA

View Full Version : Part-147 Basic Training Course Modules Question

pilot9248
27th Jan 2014, 15:13
Hi,

First of all, I haven't contacted the CAA about this yet, I just wanted to ask around first.

A few years ago I attended a Part-147 approved Basic Training Course (for A1 and A2) during my training in Germany, where the vocational college acted as the Part-147 Training Organisation delivering the theory and conducting the written/MCQ exams and the company I was with was responsible for the practical content of the training course. However, as my company only did engine maintenance and my job did not require any AML at that time, I was not able to complete the practical training for M11 and I'm therefore missing M11.

I have since moved to the UK. Would it be possible for me to complete my training by attending an approved course in the UK for M11 only, and then apply for an AML after the required months of experience using my German and UK certificates?

Thank you.

Capot
27th Jan 2014, 16:26
Well now, there's interesting. I know this has been asked before, but I'm not sure it was ever answered. Looking through Part 66, we get to this;

66.A.10(f) Each application shall be supported by documentation to demonstrate compliance with the applicable theoretical knowledge, practical training and experience requirements at the time of application.

Which does not say the documentation must come from the same State. In theory at least, a Pass Certificate for Module 9, say, issued by a Part 147-approved MTO in any Member State, is equally valid in any other Member State. I'm not sure if or how language may affect this principle.

But if that isn't the case, the NAA that's been asked to issue the licence could perhaps accept a Module certificate issued elsewhere under the following Rule, in the bit that's highlighted?

66.A.25 Basic knowledge requirements

(a) An applicant for an aircraft maintenance licence, or the addition of a category or subcategory to such a licence, shall demonstrate by examination a level of knowledge in the appropriate subject modules in accordance with the Appendix I to Annex III (Part-66). The examination shall be conducted either by a training organisation appro*priately approved in accordance with Annex IV (Part-147) or by the competent authority.

(b) The training courses and examinations shall be passed within 10 years prior to the application for an aircraft maintenance licence or the addition of a category or subcategory to such aircraft maintenance licence. Should this not be the case, examination credits may however be obtained in accordance with point (c). 16.11.2011 Official Journal of the European Union L 298/11 EN (c) The applicant may apply to the competent authority for full or partial examination credit to the basic knowledge requirements for:

1. basic knowledge examinations that do not meet the requirement described in point (b) above; and

2. any other technical qualification considered by the competent authority to be equivalent to the knowledge standard of Annex III (Part-66).

I don't know, perhaps someone else does. Probably there are different interpretations in different States. You could ask EASA, but don't expect a reply.

airlineguy1980
29th Jan 2014, 03:56
Kangaroo part147 from artic will do for caa as long as part 147. Don't worry

flame_bringer
1st Feb 2014, 08:52
If you sit for your modules in different 147 organizations your modules certificate would still be valid however you'll be required to submit a logbook equivalent to 5 years experience rather than 2.
It doesn't mention anything in the ukcaa site but it happened to several of my colleages who sat their modules in a mixture of 147 organizations and the answer from the CAA was that their training was no longer deemed 147 and has changed to 145 which necesitates 5 years experience for the grant of the license.

pilot9248
3rd Feb 2014, 12:46
Thanks for your replies.

fb, that doesn't necessarily apply. Several of my ex-workmates went to two different 147 training organisations until they got all modules, and they only had to log 6 or 9 months, with their respective credit.