PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Marlboro Man dies from smoking disease

Ovation
27th Jan 2014, 07:54
The 3rd one to do so.

ERIC Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72. Lawson died on January 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said on Sunday.

A few actors and models who pitched Marlboro brand cigarettes have died of smoking-related diseases. They include David Millar, who died of emphysema in 1987, and David McLean, who died of lung cancer in 1995.

Tankertrashnav
27th Jan 2014, 08:34
Made lots of lousy decisions in my life, but giving up smoking around 20 years ago wasn't one of them.

I can still sing the Malboro Man advert to myself though!

Fantome
27th Jan 2014, 08:37
Wonder whether the rugged bushpilot posing for those full page A3 size Camel ads with his Beaver on floats is still plugging camels? (pardon the pun, Abdul)

Democritus
27th Jan 2014, 09:08
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/CharlieOneSix/Tipalet_zps660455f8.jpg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/CharlieOneSix/media/Tipalet_zps660455f8.jpg.html)

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/CharlieOneSix/Camel_zpsdd8356a6.jpg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/CharlieOneSix/media/Camel_zpsdd8356a6.jpg.html)

meadowrun
27th Jan 2014, 09:15
Hey --- 72 ---. Average life span for American male in 2014?

Airey Belvoir
27th Jan 2014, 09:18
with his Beaver on floats

Have a care sir, have a care. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

chuks
27th Jan 2014, 09:25
I was amused to see a fag advert with one "pilot" type wearing his David Clarks backwards; the mike boom was hanging down instead of sticking up, with his headset around his neck as he stood there looking v., v. butch and purposeful among a crowd of muscular, butch and purposeful he-man types draped with climbing ropes. (It must have been either a mountain rescue or else the lynching of a faggot that they were taking part in; it was not made quite clear what Headset Man was doing, aside from enjoying a really good God-damned smoke!)

Of course that male model was supposed to be a helicopter pilot, unless you can get a Beaver on floats to land on a clifftop, so maybe that was meant to be true to life: a helicopter pilot not knowing which way around to wear his headset.

I think that was a Viceroy advert, though. I don't think it was Marlboro, because Marlboro's always been cowboys and horses and buttes and such. Well, ever since they switched from being the sort of cigarette, "Mild as May," that a refined lady should enjoy, that is.

You cannot make this sort of stuff up; Marlboro was a filter cigarette marketed to women until the link to cancer began to be known in the Fifties. Then Philip Morris switched to advertising it as a safer alternative to non-filter cigarettes, for men who were worried about their health, using the cowboy as the first of a planned series of he-men figures who smoked filter cigarettes. When the cowboy was such a hit, Philip Morris did not bother with the rest of the he-man characters: lion-tamers, weight-lifters, the Village People ....

If I remember this correctly, in his book, And the Band Played On, Randy Shilts writes about one of the Marlboro cowboys who was gay, HIV-positive, and conflicted about being an AIDS activist while wanting, perhaps needing, to stay in the closet. This model made his living from being a hyper-macho American icon, the cowboy embodiment of the rugged American West, yet in reality he was not just gravely ill, but a homosexual at a time when homosexuality was not so very acceptable as all that to mainstream America.

There's something so intensely "American" about the production and marketing of tobacco; it's one of our most heavily government subsidized crops, but one with very many restrictions on its marketing: marketing aimed for the most part at the young and stupid.

G-CPTN
27th Jan 2014, 09:41
Is there any evidence that filter-tips reduced the exposure to cancer risk?

How many full-strength Capstan smokers succumbed?

Within my family, we had a pipe-smoker (who always had his pipe in his mouth, even when it wasn't lit) who died early from stomache cancer, his wife who was a moderate cigarette-smoker who died early from lung cancer and an elderly unmarried female who smoked heavily who lived until her 90s.

racedo
27th Jan 2014, 10:03
Could have fun with Camel advert and photoshop.........probably get banned for it though :E

chuks
27th Jan 2014, 10:05
The tobacco companies were forced, in the USA at least, to drop adverts suggesting that filters, low-tar tobacco, holders for cigarettes, smoking pipes or cigars, or whatever, made tobacco consumption relatively safe compared to some other mode of consumption. Numerous studies have shown that smokers of low-tar products simply smoke more, until they have reached their desired dosage, so that the negative health impact of smoking is not affected.

It was the same for these rather sophisticated filters with air holes that showed reduced tar in lab tests; the smokers in real life would hold their cigarette in such a way as to block the filter's air holes and thus get a good old blast of nicotine.

When smokeless tobacco became popular then there was a rise in cancers of the mouth, throat and stomach, which should have come as no surprise, really.

I remember a chat with a smoker friend, talking about some study I had read that showed how as blood levels of nicotine dropped, the smoker felt, for some mysterious (to them) reason, like having another fag. She listened to me droning on and then said, "No, it's not that at all."

"It's not?" I asked in return, "Then what is it?"

"I just feel like having another cigarette once in a while," she said, firing up another one, "That's all." So that was me told!

ExXB
27th Jan 2014, 10:17
It seems that cigarettes are more addictive than ever before (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/cigarettes-more-addictive-study_n_4618612.html).

Thank goodness these guys aren't allowed to market hard drugs (other than nicotine).

Fliegenmong
27th Jan 2014, 10:25
As an ex heavy smoker that managed to give up......I live in fear of what may lay around the corner....but I did enjoy 20 odd cigarillos over the very alcoholic Christmas / New Years period.............

I, as an ex smoker who honestly enjoys the aroma / stink to others, of cigarette smoke...can never say I hate it....I knew I had to stop before it killed me though....if I was diagnosed terminally ill tomorrow, I'd take it up again in a flash!!

Fareastdriver
27th Jan 2014, 11:10
Fliegenmong
Same here, absolutely.

cattletruck
27th Jan 2014, 11:28
I think both you to are fine, you should see the [email protected] that passes as processed tobacco these days.

My Uncle used to be a toboccao farmer here in Australia until he got paid to stop growing it. The commercial crops were regularly sprayed with pesticides to improve the yields. He had a small crop on the side that was never sprayed with anything just for his own personal use. Freshly kilned pesticide free tobacco is just something. His daughters never could smoke packet cigarettes because according to them the manufactures would add perfumes, chocolate, etc and it stunk bad, instead they relied on their dad to send them a bag or two of the natural stuff.

onetrack
27th Jan 2014, 12:40
The sad part is that even though smoking is declining in the West, Asians are the godsend market to the tobacco companies, and the numbers of smokers in Asia is constantly increasing - particularly younger smokers, to whom the current tobacco advertising is targetted at.

One thing that got me in my tours of European countries in recent years, is the virtual abandonment of the anti-smoking drive in many of these countries. As a lifelong non-smoker, it was appalling to try and find a place in these countries where one wasn't constantly assailed by secondhand smoke.
I found restaurants in particular were disgusting, with smoke being blown on you at every turn, as you tried to eat a meal.
Coming from a place where you will be unceremoniously ejected from any eating area, for trying to light up - or even smoking within 10M of a doorway - it was a real culture-shock.

Tobacco companies are amongst the most devious corporate scumbags that have ever come into existence. The anti-smoking campaigners and Govts have constant trouble trying to nail down tobacco factory locations, because they are purposely hidden in run-down and nondescript buildings by the tobacco companies, so they can't be found.

Here's the site with the most comprehensive stats on smoking.

Male Current Cigarette Use - from the Tobacco Atlas (http://www.tobaccoatlas.org/products/male_tobacco_use/males_smoke/)

(click on "next topic" or the top menu headings to get all the stats)

500N
27th Jan 2014, 12:48
Onetrack

"The anti-smoking campaigners and Govts have constant trouble trying to nail down tobacco factory locations, because they are purposely hidden in run-down and nondescript buildings by the tobacco companies, so they can't be found."

Shows how effing useless the Gov't is then.

Many many ways to find them, after all,
some people need to go to work there,
trucks have to pick up goods for delivery.

Don't tell me in this day and age they can't find them.

onetrack
27th Jan 2014, 13:10
500N - The tobacco companies use unmarked trucks, and have employees live on site or very close to the factory.

Manufacturing Cigarettes - from the Tobacco Atlas (http://www.tobaccoatlas.org/industry/manufacturing/text/)

Capetonian
27th Jan 2014, 13:17
I would never wish cancer on anyone, but my sympathy for someone who took money for advertising a product known to be deadly is very limited. Imagine how many people might have started smoking as a result of those advertisements.

The big tobacco companies are no better than legalised government sanctioned drug pushers.

chuks
27th Jan 2014, 13:45
There's a funny ritual that takes place in the dead of winter called a Kohl und Pinkel Tour. The "king" or "queen" leads his or her court on a meander that ends at an inn or pub, where everyone feasts on Grünkohl (some sort of chopped greens that must be frozen out in the fields before harvesting), Pinkel (a kind of sausage, nothing to do with pinkeln, which means "pissing"), pork belly, Bregenwürst (like a miniature haggis, believe it or not), ham, and boiled potatoes.

I just went on one this past Saturday, when the names of two of our late members came up. Both had died from the effects of smoking, after long periods spent being painfully ill. The last year they both joined us, they simply drove to the inn we finished at; the wife was unable to cover any distance afoot. Next year, she was dead, and it was the man who had to do that, and the year after that, he was dead and gone too.

The man had worked for years for a major German manufacturer of some sort of huge machine that can turn out thousands of cigarettes per hour. (You just insert tobacco, filters, and cigarette paper, flip the switch, and out comes cigarettes, thousands and thousands of them.) He had traveled the world setting these things up, making very good money doing that, but meanwhile both he and his wife were very heavy smokers. They both looked as if they'd been hung up in a chimney and smoked like hams; they were sort of copper-colored and, of course, you could smell them a mile off from the smoke in their clothes.

They were from a while before my generation, from that generation that had not been raised in the certain knowledge that smoking caused cancer. (I was told in Year 10 of school at a school-wide meeting when they showed a film of the Surgeon General giving the official word on this. Even so, the "cool kids" still smoked.)

We never bothered to nag our friends about smoking; it was clear that it was killing them, but they were addicted so that they had to have their fix and that was that. The wife asked my wife, who is a dentist, there at dinner about some trouble she was having with her mouth, when my wife gave her a rather indirect answer. Later, I asked my wife why she was beating around the bush, something she hardly ever does. My wife replied that, well, the only thing that would really sort out the problem was stopping smoking, but stopping about ten years ago, when there was no chance of that, or even of stopping at all. The poor woman wanted some miracle fix for having ruined her dental health with heavy smoking, when there was none.

cockney steve
27th Jan 2014, 14:22
The man had worked for years for a major German manufacturer of some sort of huge machine that can turn out thousands of cigarettes per hour. (You just insert tobacco, filters, and cigarette paper, flip the switch, and out comes cigarettes, thousands and thousands of them.) He had traveled the world setting these things up,

Would that be Molins? I toured the Wills' factory in Bristol~ 1959/60.They were very proud of their new machines from this firm*
The paper was on a large spool, about a foot diameter. the machine would make a continuous "stick" which a rotating wheel of knives would chop to length. Should a knife catch, the stick would spew out of a gap in the guide-tube to the cutters....therewas ~15-20 foot on the floor by the time the operator hit the stop-button. (the stick was gathered up and bundled into a skip whence the paper was removed and the tobacco recycled......tobacco stalks went to Kendal to become snuff...anything totally unusable went to Customs for a Duty rebate....nowt wasted.

* many years later, I was fabricating Perspex (well, Oroglas) acrylic sheet....Aspindle-moulder used a tiny bearing atop the cutter, as a guide
I was amazed the local bearing-stockist had them on the shelf....it transpired they kept them for ......
Carreras Rothmans, at Basildon, used on the Molins machines there!

ShyTorque
27th Jan 2014, 14:44
Not so very macho then, the final image of dying whilst wretching, writhing and gasping for a fag, no sorry, breath.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Jan 2014, 14:51
I understand and can empathize with why people smoke (heavily), the whole tactile/oral/stimulation/relaxation loop, the rebellious thing, the too cool for school thing, etc, etc, but for me the negatives outweigh the positives by far. When a nipper, I was shown around a pathology lab in a hospital where in the hundreds of jars were a myriad of post-mortem edifacts and wonders. Three of the large glass jars were filled with a pair of lungs, one with a healthy pair, (pinkish if I remember), one darkened and atrophied from a heavy smoker and one that looked rather awful after having been addled with cancerous growths. It impressed me enough never to be a smoker. I'm not pious and militant about those that do choose to smoke, it's a choice after all. What I do have an issue with is the marketing of cigarettes to young people and the issue of 2nd hand smoke, especially concerning children.

SHJ

cornish-stormrider
27th Jan 2014, 15:13
Nothing quite so vehement as a member of the superman club
I promised superman I did

Still keeping my promise

G-CPTN
27th Jan 2014, 15:22
sj_FnYScl00
She nevertheless succumbed to lung cancer - well before her three-score and ten years.

onetrack
28th Jan 2014, 01:05
SHJ - One of my most enduring memories of a medical display was a model, in a hospital, of the human pelvic area - and in particular, the femoral artery, of a person who smoked - and the equivalent model of a healthy non-smokers arterial structure through the pelvis.

In the non-smoker model, the femoral artery was nearly the thickness of your little finger.
In the smoker model, the femoral artery was smaller in diameter than the thickness of a pencil.
This is the reason why so many long-term smokers have circulation problems in the legs and feet - and why they often have to have toes amputated for gangrene.

Fantome
2nd Feb 2014, 21:10
here's another Marlboro man reference. It's a post on PLES BILONG TOK TOK in 2004 by Chimbu Chuckles

The aircraft BJ dived on...and I have since too, was the B17 'Blackjack' which ditched off Raba Raba (Cape Vogel/North Coast between Tufi and Gurney) on the way back from bombing Rabaul. It was piloted by a chap who went on to be the very first 'Marlboro Man' and while very old he came to PNG after BJ and 'Bubbles' Pierce found his B17 in 1988ish. The original intention was for him to dive the wreck as part of the doco but it was decided that it was too high a risk, despite him being in remarkable shape for a man his age. The wreck is in excess of 140' down. Thus the film crew filmed BJ sitting in the pilots seat and a still of same was in National Geographic.