PDA

View Full Version : 'Straya Day

Fliegenmong
26th Jan 2014, 07:13
Hope all you fellow Ozmates enjoyed it! The Fliegess & I went down to the local council chambers where every year they host an Australia day event, heart broken recently split up from the (bitch) girlfriend Jnr Flieg came along as well...

We watched a display by the Queensland Working Sheep Dog Association., which was very good.....lot of freakin' weirdo bogan types around though....

Anyway happy 'Straya Day....

500N
26th Jan 2014, 08:19
And you.

Didn't do much this year.

MTOW
26th Jan 2014, 08:22
Refreshingly few loudmouth bogans with Oz flags draped around their shoulders in Sinney. That I saw anyway.

Captain Dart
26th Jan 2014, 08:34
Two feet! Two hands! Two swollen glands!
A can of Foster's in my hand!
As beneath the Southern Cross I stand,
A symbol of my native land, Australia!
You bloody beauty!
So up the old red rooster, and drink MORE PISS!

And the 'indigenous' whinging 'Australian of the Year' should think himself lucky it was the British who colonised the continent, and not some other nationalities I can think of.

gunbus
26th Jan 2014, 09:10
Have a good one Mates :ok:

Fliegenmong
26th Jan 2014, 09:11
Refreshingly few loudmouth bogans with Oz flags draped around their shoulders

A good thing! :ok:

And the 'indigenous' whinging 'Australian of the Year' should think himself lucky it was the British who colonised the continent, and not some other nationalities I can think of.

Not wrong!

500N
26th Jan 2014, 09:13
MTOW

Agree, not much on the news about Bogans or drunk bogans today.

A good outcome.

onetrack
26th Jan 2014, 09:23
Yer not wrong there, Cap'n Dart. If any of the other conquering nations of the 1700's had beaten the British to Oz, there probably wouldn't be any Abo's left to whinge and whine. And any left would really have something to moan about.

The kow-towing and constant apologies, and PC crap towards the Abo's, gets right up my nose. I virtually got thrown off a 4WD forum recently because I referred to Abo's as Abo's - and I was told to modify my post and not use such "derogatory" terms again.

I told 'em where to shove their forum - they've been Abo's as long as I've been alive, and it's a universally-used word, and I don't regard it as derogatory - and I didn't intend for the term to be derogatory.
I could use some of the style of words they use against whites regularly, but I guess that would only make me a racist c***. :suspect:

Anyway, rant mode over - we're off to see some fireworks shortly, and hopefully avoid a mugging or a bag snatch, by those land-deprived "indigenous" people (you know, the ones who own huge chunks of Australia, and where we "white racists" have to get a permit to enter). :suspect:

Saratogapp
26th Jan 2014, 09:52
Onetrack. What a turd you are!

500N
26th Jan 2014, 09:57
Saratogapp

But he is right though !

Re "there probably wouldn't be any Abo's left to whinge and whine."

We didn't leave that many and those that were left had generally
not had any or much contact with Whites and they moved into
areas where Abos had been wiped out, either by White Man
hunting them or by disease.

No colonial power, be it Spanish, Portuguese, French, German
or English was that good for natives.

meadowrun
26th Jan 2014, 10:03
Monty Python - Bruce - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_f_p0CgPeyA)

Ken Borough
26th Jan 2014, 10:17
not much on the news about Bogans or drunk bogans today.

.....but there seems to a good few of them busy on their keyboards! :E :}

Flying Lawyer
26th Jan 2014, 10:33
Hope you all enjoyed it. :ok:

We spent a month in Oz at the end of last year and loved it.
So varied from state to state, and also within the same state.
Wonderful country!

Sydney Harbour from a NSW Police helicopter (http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=2&with_photo_id=101757303&order=date_desc&user=474429)
The weather in Sydney ranged from storms which closed the Manly Ferry to beautiful sunshine. The flight was on a grey morning.

FL

Sallyann1234
26th Jan 2014, 10:38
and I didn't intend for the term to be derogatory

That's OK then. It doesn't matter how many people were offended. As long as you are happy with it, you can say what the hell you like.

500N
26th Jan 2014, 10:45
Sallyanne
Who's offended ?
You, your white friends or the Aboriginals ?
How can a white person be offended by the use of the term ?

The same "Aboriginals", as in "that mob" that use the word themselves ?

"That mob" (a term I think is derogatory) will and do change the story
as and when they see fit depending on what they can get out of it.
Even they admit that as they did to me a few weeks ago.

"It doesn't matter how many people were offended. As long as you are happy with it, you can say what the hell you like."

Funny, that is how a lot of Aboriginals operate.

Fliegenmong
26th Jan 2014, 10:54
Yeah, anyway....predictable lot of horse feathers that was ...happy Orstralia day, Happy invasion day, happy whatever else day offends / doesn't offend you day...simply, really, if you don't love it here , fuggof back to where you came:ok:

DX Wombat
26th Jan 2014, 11:13
I claim no credit for the following, it was posted by Blue Diamond on TRAB.

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

WE, the people of the broad, brown land of Oz, wish to be recognised as a free nation of blokes, sheilas and the occasional trannie. We come from many lands (although a few too many of us come from New Zealand) and, although we live in the best little country in the world, we reserve the right to bitch and moan about it whenever we bloody like.

We are One Nation but we're divided into many States. First, there's Victoria, named after a queen who didn't believe in lesbians. Victoria is the realm of Mossimo turtlenecks, cafe latte and grand final day. Its capital is Melbourne, whose chief marketing pitch is that it's "liveable".

Next, there's NSW. It is the realm of pastel shorts, macchiato with sugar, thin books read quickly and millions of dancing gay-boys. Its mascots are Bondi lifesavers who pull their Speedos up their cracks to keep the left and right sides of their brains separate.

Down south we have Tasmania, a State based on the notion that the family that bonks together stays together. In Tassie, everyone gets an extra chromosome at conception. Maps of the State bring smiles to the sternest faces.

South Australia is the province of half-decent reds, a festival of foreigners and bizarre axe murders. They had the Grand Prix, but lost it when the views of Adelaide sent the Formula One drivers to sleep at the wheel.

Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant in this document.

The Northern Territory is the red heart of our land. Outback plains, sheep stations, kangaroos, jackaroos, emus, Ulurus and dusty kids with big smiles. Although the Territory is the centrepiece of our national culture, few of us live there and the rest prefer to fly over it on our way to Bali.

And there's Queensland. While any mention of God seems silly in a document defining a nation of half-arsed agnostics, it is worth noting that God probably made Queensland. Why he filled it with dickheads remains a mystery.

We, the Lullaby League of Oz, are united, primarily by the Pacific Highway, whose treacherous twists and turns kill more of us each year than die by murder.

We are united in our lust for international recognition, so desperate for praise we leap in joy when a ragtag gaggle of corrupt IOC officials tells us Sydney is better than Beijing.

We are united by a democracy so flawed that a political party, albeit a redneck gun-toting one, can get a million votes and still not win one seat in Federal Parliament. Desirable, sure. But fair? Not when you consider Brian Harradine can get 24,000 votes and run the bloody country. Not that we're whingeing.

We've chucked out the concept of "fair go" in the downsized '90s. Instead, we want to make "no worries" our national phrase.

We love sport so much our newsreaders can read the death toll from a sailing race and still tell us who's winning, in the same breath.

We treasure our politicians, who talk about listening with such persistence it's hard to get a word in. We tolerate our Prime Minister, who is not only short but a Methodist, hanging offences in decent countries. And we like watching Parliament on TV because Natasha Stott Despoja is a total spunkrat.

We, the wicked witches of the land of Oz, want to make it clear this continent is ours and always has been. Mind you, Liberal Party polling shows that there were some people here before Captain Cook so we should address the issue once and for all. While possession is nine-tenths of the law, our ancestors were fortunate enough to discover that genocide, cultural extinguishment, baby theft and flour poisoning make up the other tenth. So Oz is now ours and that's that. Our midget Methodist master says we have no reason to feel sorry for killing more Aborigines per capita than the Nazis did Jews and Liberal Party polling says we're OK with that. Why don't we say sorry? In the words of our PM - because, because, because, because, because.

Now, can we just drop the whole thing before the Olympics start? Phew, with that nasty bit out of the way, we the Brain, the Heart and the Nerve of Oz, want the world to know we have the biggest rock, the tastiest pies and the worst-dressed Olympians in the known universe.

We don't know much about art but we know we hate the people who make it. We shoot, we vote. We are girt by sea and pissed by lunchtime. And even though we might seem a racist, closed-minded, sports-obsessed little People, at least we're better than the Kiwis. Now bugger off, we're sleeping.

Okay ... it was written some years ago but it's still funny! Except the bit about Western Australia, of course.

500N
26th Jan 2014, 11:19
Fliegs

Thanks for your last post, made me laugh :D :O :ok:

Loved it.

cattletruck
26th Jan 2014, 12:34
Melbourne put on a perfect day weatherwise.
St Kilda beach, band rehearsal, dinner in the evening - just another weekend day for me.

Didn't see hardly any jingoistic flag wearing bogans this year, I think they now hang out at cafes drinking free trade cafe lattes.

Flying Lawyer
26th Jan 2014, 13:28
cattletruck

A pic of Melbourne for you.

Downtown aerial (http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=6&with_photo_id=101705158&order=date_desc&user=474429)

It was taken from the helicopter reflected in the building, when I went flying with Ppruner John Eacott.

FL

500N
26th Jan 2014, 13:45
It was a perfect day today.

That is a great photo. Maybe you could enter it in a competition ?

cattletruck
26th Jan 2014, 13:51
Many thanks FL, glad you enjoyed Melbourne, when the weather behaives she really is quite a classy gal. I used to enjoy doing same but in a Tiger Moth from YMMB down the coast to the peninsula :ok:

We also had the Roulettes do their amazing display in their PC9s today :ok:, as well as a shiny silver AS350 (me old school methinks) doing a fair number of spectacular low level passes along the beach with some modern camera kit bolted to the nose :ok:

Great day indeed.

Barksdale Boy
26th Jan 2014, 14:30
Hope you all had a good day. Fairly boring here in HK. Wish I'd been at Yorkey's Knob Boat Club.

Airey Belvoir
26th Jan 2014, 14:51
Just back in from a night out with friends round the barbie, plenty of WA red wine and bloody good company.

Just what Australia Day should be.

Good on yer!

Fantome
26th Jan 2014, 15:47
DX a ripper quote there. The author was reputed to be John Doyle (aka Roy Slavin of Roy and HG fame) It was read out on ABC Radio National, must be 15 years ago now, by Philip Adams, who has got 'the voice' for such recitations.

Its mascots are Bondi lifesavers who pull their Speedos up their cracks to keep the left and right sides of their brains separate.

In Tassie, everyone gets an extra chromosome at conception. Maps of the State bring smiles to the sternest faces.

South Australia had the Grand Prix, but lost it when the views of Adelaide sent the Formula One drivers to sleep at the wheel.

Those are the bits that particularly crack me up.
The short-arsed, Methodist, unrepentant PM referred to was of course John Winston Howard, he who eventually lost to the ALP, when the new PM Kevin Rudd did fulfill an election promise by organising 'Sorry Day'.

When some 6000 of us walked over the Tasman Bridge on 'Sorry Day', one wag asked later "did you see that short, baldy bugger going the other way? He kept bumping into people and muttering 'sorry, sorry sorry as he crossed the bridge."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday at Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast the Heritage Museum had their Australia Day celebrations. Women in period dress. Blokes singing click go the shears. Bit of dancing. Failed to see the symbolism of the kids in the bouncing castle. The smell of onion and sausage sizzle, you got to have that.

Here's Peter on the squeeze box yesterday. He mainly plays to folk in nursing homes and retirement villages round the Gold Coast. His repetoire is huge.
Yesterday he refrained from playing the golden oldies. For which he was thanked.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/jokova_photos/PETERDAVENPORT.jpg

A bit of thread drift now. Sorry if that bugs anyone.

Aboriginal musician calls for action, not apologies By Margaret Burin (http://www.abc.net.au/profiles/content/s2797084.htm?site=northcoast)

Aboriginal musician and leader Kerrianne Cox says she would like to see National Sorry Day title changed to reflect positive change and healing. is a singer-songwriter from the Pilbara, who these days resides in the NSW Northern Rivers.

Maybe it's coming from the oldest part of the oldest continent on Earth, maybe it's being part of the oldest continuous culture on Earth, but Kerrianne believes all people are descended from "original" people, as she calls Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

She has been a cultural ambassador to South Africa and the South Pacific, she's campaigned for women's rights, and she has strong ideas about how to achieve true reconciliation.
National Sorry Day is held every May 26. Events are held around the country to reflect on the mistreatment of Aboriginal people.
But Kerrianne says she would rather the day reflect something more positive.
"I'd love to see the word sorry be put into direct action.
"If we human beings are really sorry about our really harsh and violent history within this country, I think the very leader and leadership in this country has to demonstrate what full example and roll model true direction and action of healing, getting to know who we are."

"I can live in your world, but can the Prime Minister live in my world?" The Lismore-based artist says part of healing is creating strong programs that bring white and indigenous Australians together.

"I'm not angry anymore, I totally forgive myself, I forgive everything that's happened, there's nobody to blame. But it's what we're prepared to do about it, to bring the positive change and the coming together as a true Australian nation - that we are one."
Kerrianne's songs are often used to give voice to issues like reconciliation and the anti-coal seam gas movement.
She joined us live in the studio to sing her signature song, Beagle Bay Dreaming, which is written about her home and country in the remote North West Kimberley.

from - www.abc.net.au/canberra/apology/‎ (http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/apology/‎)

MTOW
26th Jan 2014, 19:41
Time for a bit of negaDjviDy... The RAAF 'display' over Sinny Harbour by the 3 Hawks was a waste of Avtur. First pass, more or less a 3 ship vic, with #3 way the buggery out of form, then a couple of loose tail chases up and down the harbour. It looked unrehearsed, and given the tight budget today, probably was.

MTOW
26th Jan 2014, 19:43
Very loose tail chases.

Takan Inchovit
26th Jan 2014, 19:54
First pass, more or less a 3 ship vic, with #3 way the buggery out of form, then a couple of loose tail chases up and down the harbour. It looked unrehearsed, and given the tight budget today, probably was.

Nah, probably just picking up empty stubbies rolling around on the floor. Did they have their arms out the window?

Buster Hyman
26th Jan 2014, 22:29
Watched 18 minutes of fireworks at Docklands, then spent three hours getting out of the carpark! :*:*

500N
26th Jan 2014, 22:36
Yes, always seems to be a problem.

I find South Melbourne a good place to park as not too far from city / docklands to walk / tram and plenty of exits onto the various freeways.

onetrack
27th Jan 2014, 01:47
Saratogapp & Sallyann1234 - Sorry about my lack of social skills - it's probably due to having employed Aboriginals, and having a leading Australian Aboriginal cricketing captain as a family friend.

These people call themselves Aboriginals, and they're called Abo's for short. They use the term themselves, and they don't regard it as racist or derogatory.
They also talk about "running on Noongar time" (big family joke about the Abo's general tribal inability to be punctual) - and anytime we have a BBQ and they roll up, we indulge in mirth-producing activities such as running to the front door to close it, yelling out, "Look out! all the Noongars have turned up, and are trying to get in!!" :)

These people are also despairing of the majority of their compatriots who refuse to send their children to school (Aboriginal school-finishing rate is as low as 12%) - they despair of the alcohol abuse, the constant Aboriginal high crime rate, the family abuse, the destructiveness, and the "handout mentality" of so many Aboriginals of today.

It's high time the Aboriginals who are the whiners and who embrace the welfare mentality and crime and destructiveness as a way of life, started addressing their own social skills, and their need to become contributing citizens, instead of constantly-demanding and disruptive citizens.

City suburbs lead spike in evictions - Yahoo!7 (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/20930348/city-suburbs-lead-spike-in-evictions/)

emergency000
27th Jan 2014, 03:29
Well done cattletruck and FL for taking a flight in a Robinson R44 and surviving :D

Happy Straya Day. And, given it's now Monday, happy Straya Day Public Holiday, everyone (because having a public holiday on a Sunday is just bloody redundant!)

Sadly, I spent my Straya Day back on the ramp at YMML, working on precisely zero VH-registered aircraft.

Cheers,
John

500N
27th Jan 2014, 03:42
One track

Interesting what you say and supportive of my side of the discussion.

I find my friends have a great sense of humour and we often have laughs over things like you.

Also agree re your last two paras and have noticed this more and more in the last few years. Sick of the grog, gonna / dope et al.

John Hill
27th Jan 2014, 03:45
Best wishes to everyone over on the West Island!:ok:

Captain Sand Dune
27th Jan 2014, 03:57
Time for a bit of negaDjviDy... The RAAF 'display' over Sinny Harbour by the 3 Hawks was a waste of Avtur.
Saw it on the telly, and can only concur. The Hawk is capable of a bl**dy good beat up, and I can vouch for the capability of the guys flying them and their undoubted appetite to fly said beat up.
However in their defence I think you'll find they would have been significantly hamstrung by a conga chain of senior officers sticking their fingers in the authorisation and approval pie in order to cover their *sses in the name of 'risk mitigation'.

500N
27th Jan 2014, 09:53
Buster

I see the Docklands Car Park situation has hit the Herald Sun.

cattletruck
27th Jan 2014, 11:42
Buster, Dockywood is a disaster zone. I see the Observation Wheel (Melbourne's version of the London Eye) broke down again just before Straya Day, your luck really ran out. You shoulda just pulled up a pew looked up and watched the RAF Roulettes in glorious widescreen 3D :ok:

John Eacott
27th Jan 2014, 11:47
It was a perfect day today.

That is a great photo. Maybe you could enter it in a competition ?

I gave FL a repeat of an image that I talked another local photographer into trying: he uses it repeatedly :cool:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/4168-4/Eureka+reflection.jpg

Buster Hyman
27th Jan 2014, 12:10
Yes, that was where we were 500N. Pity all the shops were closed too. They would have made a killing.

Cattletruck. I've enjoyed the Roulettes in the past but had other commitments sadly. NYE was spent watching the Fireworks from the hill that overlooks RWY34 at Tulla & the family wasn't too impressed by that...at least it was a quick trip home. :E

500N
27th Jan 2014, 12:27
John

I used to supply computer gear to a photographer who is well known
in the photography world for taking superb architecture photos. Name
of John Gollings and have seen a lot of his photos.

Your photo reminded me of his work.

Buster
Re the shops, yes, agree. They open Boxing Day but are closed Australia day
when probably more people are in the city or available to go in the city.

I just avoid going to those things as not a fan of crowds or traffic !

redsnail
27th Jan 2014, 15:02
It was a quiet Australia Day in the Checkers/reddo towers. The big fella had to fly to Cyprus and back for a laugh. :D We were going to fire up the barbie but the rain lashing down put paid to that... :D

Flying Lawyer
27th Jan 2014, 15:06
500N

Well spotted. It was architectural photographer John Gollings. :ok:

The pics show the stark difference between a very experienced specialist professional with several kilos of state of the art kit and an amateur with a bridge camera.

FL

redsnail
27th Jan 2014, 15:16
FL, I don't know, both your pics are pretty good. :D

500N
27th Jan 2014, 18:44
FL

Well well well, what a small world. He does and has done some superb work.
Yours is still a damn good photo.

John told me a story once about flying around in a helicopter, taking
photos from the air, sitting with his legs on the skids and the helicopter
not always in the vertical (excuse the terminology).

On landing he went to un clip the safety strap to find it wasn't connected to
the helicopter :rolleyes:

galaxy flyer
28th Jan 2014, 00:12
Give that architect an inch and he thinks he's a ruler! :ok:

GF

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Jan 2014, 06:17
John told me a story once about flying around in a helicopter, taking
photos from the air, sitting with his legs on the skids and the helicopter
not always in the vertical (excuse the terminology).

On landing he went to un clip the safety strap to find it wasn't connected to
the helicopter

We did a similar thing in Pumas. No one strapped in, legs dangling out the doors while the pilot did low level steep turns to stay NOE among the thorn trees and scrub. Often looked straight down or straight up while sitting upright, our bums stuck to the floor with nothing more than the G pulled in the turn. Sometimes a mate inside or the section leader would grab your webbing to steady you if he didn't think you were sitting with your arse far enough inside the aircraft.

Idiot pilot once rolled a C206 while I was in the door pulling in the static line bags after chucking out some studes. Same thing more or less, stuck to the floor due to maintaining positive G throughout the maneouvre, although I was wearing a parachute. Snap roll would have thrown me out or in, depending on direction, but it was just a gentle barrel roll. I still skiffed his pint that evening though...

Fliegenmong
28th Jan 2014, 08:17
No one strapped in, legs dangling out the doors while the pilot did low level steep turns to stay NOE among the thorn trees and scrub. Often looked straight down or straight up while sitting upright, our bums stuck to the floor with nothing more than the G pulled in the turn

....but had somethig gone wrong....people less charitable than I would offer up a Darwin candidate......

FullOppositeRudder
28th Jan 2014, 08:55
I spent most of the middle day watching these blokes. An Aussie in the centre front of this picture - half hoped he might take it out after his fantastic solo effort a few days earlier, but in the end another Aussie scored the overall trophy - by one second.

We even managed a chancy win against the old enemy at the cricket thing on the other side of the village, so it was a good day.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/InnocentBystander68/IMG_2225_E_zpsbe03038a.jpg

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Jan 2014, 12:21
....but had somethig gone wrong....people less charitable than I would offer up a Darwin candidate......

Yup. Young, dumb and bulletproof. Could have been a whole load of Darwin candidates. Fortunately the laws of physics kept us more or less out of trouble.

500N
28th Jan 2014, 12:28
"Young, dumb and bulletproof. Could have been a whole load of Darwin candidates. Fortunately the laws of physics kept us more or less out of trouble."

+ 1
Isn't that why you join the military ?

I was sitting on the back ramp of a Chinook, legs dangling, flying fast and low around Puckpunyal (an Army training camp in Victoria, Aus). The pilots were following the ground and flew up the side of a large knobby hill, then dropped it down the other side. I lifted off the ramp and "floated" for a short while.

Always liked the brief from the load master when roping.
"If we have a problem with the helicopter and you are on the ropes,
we will TRY to put you down on the ground before we jettison the
ropes but if we can't, be prepared to be cut you lose mid air."

Andu
28th Jan 2014, 22:13
Ahhh... helocopideeters...

The most often repeated phrase during the ground school (tech) phase, (when referring to a seemingly endless list of different parts), was "..and if this bit breaks, you'll crash." Starting with the Jesus nut, (that held the main rotor on to the mast)... so named because if it ever came loose, the only appropriate phrase for the operating crew to say was...

flywatcher
29th Jan 2014, 02:31
Great Australia day, particularly if you are a white Australian, born in Australia, walking on the street of Moree and being abused by our indigenous brothers as a "white cxxt". There are two sides to racial discrimination and the white Australians are on the losing side, but we don't really do anything about it, probably because we are too busy working to support those who aren't, can't, or don't feel like working. I doubt if our new Australian of the Year can do much to change it.

500N
29th Jan 2014, 02:40
"I doubt if our new Australian of the Year can do much to change it."

Agree, although he will raise the issues to a higher level and from media reports, with the new GG, General Cosgrove.

Until this changes "those who aren't, can't, or don't feel like working."
and I'll add education of TO's children which at present is a hard slog,
the future will be the same.

When I was up there a few weeks ago, it was commented on by the people I was with that a larger school in Darwin celebrated two, yes 2 Aboriginal graduates from Year 12.