PDA

View Full Version : Haggis fails security at BHX

crewmeal
25th Jan 2014, 06:34
This must be the most stupid excuse for stopping a passenger I have heard. However his knife went through unnoticed. Unbelieveable! OK so there are many who haven't heard of Robbie Burns and how the Scots celebrate their bards work, but education is a wonderful tool in life, even for security staff.

Airport bomb scare turns out to be just a haggis - Weird News - News - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/haggis-at-the-root-of-airport-bomb-scare-9081130.html)

Caboclo
25th Jan 2014, 06:45
Well, we all know that security screeners are those who can't do anything better. I'm a bit more shocked at the passenger publicly admitting to intentionally smuggling a knife on board. Don't know how things work over there, but here that would probably get him a follow-up visit from the plods, as well as necessitate taking the boat back home.

UniFoxOs
25th Jan 2014, 07:16
A spokesperson for Birmingham Airport did not apologise for the incident, saying that safety is its number one priority.

Not apologising for letting a knife on to the plane?

AtomKraft
25th Jan 2014, 07:26
And a MacSween haggis no less....quality:ok:

Mind you, these have caused many explosions in the past.
Especially when used as a binary explosive and mixed with its chemical accelerator, turnip.

The pong can be eye watering. :uhoh:

There's a reason Scotsmen prefer to go commando you know!

Tankertrashnav
25th Jan 2014, 08:41
Interesting question about the skean dubh, which is a part of traditional highland dress, which I assume this bloke was going to wear at his Burns supper. There's an ongoing problem with the kirpan, which is the ceremonial knife which Sikhs are supposed to carry. Here's an extract from the Wiki entry on the subject

In recent years, the Sikh practice of wearing a Kirpan has caused problems for security personnel at (US) airports and other checkpoints; security personnel may confiscate kirpans if they feel it is necessary, but are advised to treat them with respect.

Of course Sikhs are carrying what is effectively an offensive weapon for religious reasons - maybe this guy could have claimed that being Scottish was his religion - certainly some on the loonier outreaches of the SNP see it that way!

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jan 2014, 09:12
Ja boet. Doesn't even begin to address the problem of parting a Saffer from his biltong knife.:}

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Jan 2014, 10:22
When new luggage scanners designed to detect plastic explosive in pax suitcases at Manchester Airport were first installed, lots of little old ladies were apprehended around Christmas time. Turned out the machine classified Christmas puddings as such!

Lon More
25th Jan 2014, 10:23
The pong can be eye watering.

There'll be an area of high pressure sitting over Scotland tonight. :)

500N
25th Jan 2014, 10:26
A mate of mine came back from Northern Aus to Melburne Airport
with a cleaned Buffalo head wrapped up. When he went to get his stuff
from the conveyor belt, some Federal cops came up and asked what
he had because a scanner had gone off when the aircraft was unloaded.

Turned out the chemicals used to clean / bleach the skull had set it off.

A few smiles all round and everyone went home.

ATNotts
25th Jan 2014, 10:30
Not apologising for letting a knife on to the plane?

Wonder how many PAX on the AI Amritsar get away with carrying their "ceremonial" knives too?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jan 2014, 10:44
I'm surprised this one hasn't had more publicity

Skylar Murphy 'forgot' about pipe bomb - Politics - CBC Player (http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/Power+%26+Politics/ID/2430560511/)

Kid builds two pipe bombs for fun. He and his buddies let one off and he leaves the other in his camera bag...and forgets about it.
Heads off to Edmonton airport for a Mexican holiday. Security staff find pipe bomb. They apologise and say they might have to confiscate it. He says "Sure",they relent and offer it him back. He insists, so they keep it. They let him on the plane and he goes on holiday; bomb sits on security supervisor's desk.

Kids, eh? ;)

llondel
25th Jan 2014, 18:43
I'm surprised this one hasn't had more publicity

It did get mentioned in the SLF forum (http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/532147-bomb-board.html).

ExSp33db1rd
25th Jan 2014, 19:45
It did get mentioned in the SLF forum (http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/532147-bomb-board.html).

Murphy is always with us.

Ogre
26th Jan 2014, 01:03
From what I recall Haggis is illegal in the U.S.A, if it had been a flight across the pond then even if it had made it out of the UK the passenger would probably have been under scrutiny at the other end....

llondel
26th Jan 2014, 03:45
From what I recall Haggis is illegal in the U.S.A

It is not legal to import proper haggis into the US because it contains prohibited meat products. It's not legal to sell US-made haggis to the proper recipe either, because the FDA doesn't consider sheep lungs to be food and therefore prohibit the same of items for consumption containing such material. You can probably make and eat your own, if you have access to sheep offal, if only that they probably wouldn't find out.

Kinder Eggs are illegal in the US, you're not allowed to import them either.

pigboat
26th Jan 2014, 03:54
Kinder Eggs are illegal in the US, you're not allowed to import them either.
Well, you can't be too careful. Those bloody Kinder chickens are probably loaded with bird flu.