PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful memorial to UTA 772...

airship
24th Jan 2014, 16:46
What a truly grand memorial to all those who lost their lives on UTA 772 back on 19th September 1989 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25643103) and those they left behind who remember them... :sad:

The reality that the memorial should today be visible to anyone flying that route is interesting (though I imagine that few would bother to look out of the window at the vast expanse of desert below, unless the pilot suggests that they might wish to do so just at the right moment)...?! :ok:

Anyway, it immediately reminded me of the "Nazca Lines" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines) in south America. Perhaps, anthropologists in 3378AD or so will also pose similar questions in future, about this newly-established dedication to UTA 772 in our year of the Lord ca. 2014...?! :cool:

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2014, 17:38
airship:

Not to bust your bubble but that memorial has been sitting in the desert since 2007. Are you just catching wind of it now? :}

hei yu
24th Jan 2014, 20:12
I wasn't aware of it.

Thanks for pointing it out, airship.

racedo
24th Jan 2014, 20:54
Been on here least 2 or 3 times...............

Bob Viking
24th Jan 2014, 21:00
I'm personally not sure that airline pilots highlighting a memorial to air crash victims is what your average fare paying passenger wants to hear!
BV

airship
25th Jan 2014, 15:02
rgbrock1, racedo etc.: should airship simply beg for mercy (I prefer misÚricorde (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mis%C3%A9ricorde_(bont%C3%A9))) from these 2 divine entities for having "so lately" remarked on the subject?

Who might have simply and quietly remarked to themselves (and without posting here), that this was all old hat or previously done several times here in JB. racedo, what subject has not Been on here least 2 or 3 times...?! Am I the lazy bugger for not doing a search before posting, or are you the antagonistic (and lazy) bugger for not bothering to quote links to these previous threads here in JB...?!

Bob Viking wrote: I'm personally not sure that airline pilots highlighting a memorial to air crash victims is what your average fare paying passenger wants to hear!

That's a fair point. But if everyone all the time seeked to "protect" the lowest common denominator (1-2% of all fliers in such context?) then perhaps "they" should ensure that all televised and public funerals / processions etc. are also banned forthwith (or at least come with a warning that "the following footage may be hurtfull to some" or similar, preceded with "flash photography" may be included)...?!

Whatever, news of this memorial was not "old hat" to me, nor hei yu apparently. Also, if you care to look at the BBC link I gave in my OP, you'll find that it is dated 22 January 2014. So blame the BBC why not (as well as I for being so ignorant)?!

Sorry rgbrock1 and racedo for making such a big defense on this subject. But you should have perhaps ignored the thread and made your way elsewhere quietly...?! :rolleyes:

vee-tail-1
25th Jan 2014, 16:51
Thanks Airship. Those of us who did not know of this memorial are grateful.

I found it intensely moving and symbolic ...

Capetonian
25th Jan 2014, 17:14
On the day that plane crashed, or rather, was blown up, I was in Paris waiting for a friend who was travelling on a UTA flight from Johannesburg and due to arrive in the morning. No connection, but hearing the news left me feeling chilled (and I don't mean that in the modern sense) to the bone.

alfaman
25th Jan 2014, 18:09
I'm personally not sure that airline pilots highlighting a memorial to air crash victims is what your average fare paying passenger wants to hear!
BV I don't see a memorial to air crash victims: I see a memorial to victims of a terrorist atrocity that happened to be on board an aircraft...