PDA

View Full Version : Just got a cheap Android tablet from China..

ex_matelot
24th Jan 2014, 12:48
As the title says..I wanted something just a bit bigger than my mobile for using a few language learning apps and light browsing in bed. It's a 7'' 4gig effort but only has about 2 gig usable after all the operating system etc (Is that right?)
Sound is crap but is OK with headphones. It has Google play on it so I can get decent apps, as opposed to having to use some gash Chinese website.
The browser appears to have been hijacked during manufacture though as I'm unable to keep it to a set homepage -it changes every time I turn it on. I just downloaded Opera mini and no further issues there.

I'm having snags getting it to recognise album names with some CDs in folders I put on there..I downloaded something called ID3fixer which allowed me to edit though. The charger it came with was supplied with an English adapter for the Chinese plug..it's awfully wobbly. I farted about with it last night with screen on max brightness and it only dropped to 70% power after 2 hours.

It cost me 40 quid. reckon I've been ripped off or should be wary of anything?

mixture
24th Jan 2014, 13:26
Just got a cheap Android tablet from China..

The answer to your question is contained within the title of your post, I have courteously highlighted the relevant sections for you. :E

defizr
24th Jan 2014, 13:30
They're all made in China - even the fruity ones.

mixture
24th Jan 2014, 13:33
They're all made in China - even the fruity ones.

You miss the point !

Allow me to spell it out... there's "made in China" and there's "cheap rip-off poor imitation copyright and patent ignoring gadget made in China".

The cheap stuff is the stuff that causes problems. Whether we're talking power adapters that explode and injure people, or gadgets that only partially deliver.... cheap and China usually don't mix well, at all.

henry_crun
24th Jan 2014, 19:41
my new office (http://mike-wsm.org.uk/office.html)

Very good value. Mine cost 60 quid with a wee bit more storage. Dual core. Jelly Bean. Works perfectly in all respects. It is my main machine, sometimes carried from room to room and when in my office a dual dongle wirelessly connects mouse and keyboard.

The advantage of getting a low priced tablet is that you can update whenever a new android comes out and gain all the advantages, rather than be locked into some creaky old machine that cost six times as much.

Your memory can be supplemented by a micro sd card, useful if you want to store lots of gigs of music or movies.