PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Marmite banned in Canada

rotornut
24th Jan 2014, 12:05
Prince Charles will refuse to visit us now:
BBC News - Canada 'orders Briton to stop selling Marmite and Irn Bru' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25867613)

Mechta
24th Jan 2014, 12:19
:ugh::ugh::ugh: You would have thought a label warning the user of the 'hazardous' content would be sufficient. Presumably cigarettes are still available?

rotornut
24th Jan 2014, 12:22
Yes. A bit silly, don't you think?

clunckdriver
24th Jan 2014, 12:45
Just another example of our totally out of control government idiots Im afraid, a few years back they went after Hagis and Mushy Peas. Our Civil Service is made up of the failures of our society, a short visit to Ottawa will make this very clear . Before we sold our companies we had a visit from the Ministery of the Enviroment, all four of these drones wanted to smoke "outside", the problem was "outside" was our ramp with a few millions worth of aircraft parked, security had a field day!

OFSO
24th Jan 2014, 12:50
What about Vegemite - still allowed in Canada ?

One in Sixty
24th Jan 2014, 12:57
As somewhat of a marmite connoisseur and self confessed aficionado of a buttery marmite treat, is there cause for concern? Aside from the cries from my arteries that seems to fall on deaf ears, perhaps I may be forced to cross to the dreaded darkside that is vegemite. Can anyone please spread some light on this troubling nature of deep concern to the wider aviation community.

Hi guys, i'm new here.

One In Sixty.

angels
24th Jan 2014, 13:13
This takes me back to Singapore in 1997 (I think) when the idiots banned it thinking it contained beef.

News that it was banned did not filter through to the little Chinese chap who ran the mini-mart in the basement of our block of flats who still sold it. For some weeks I was a Marmite pusher.....:cool:

MagnusP
24th Jan 2014, 13:15
Marmite is the ejaculate of a crazed demon from the underworld. Vegemite is wonderful.

Not that the debate is polarised, or anything . . . .

meadowrun
24th Jan 2014, 14:21
Very puzzling. They are banning some products due to added vitamins and minerals.
That could have far reaching effects as milk here is fortified with vitamin D and a lot of cereals have added niacin and riboflavin.

That said would not touch Marmite or Vegemite. I equate them at the level of fish paste sandwiches and that yellow Scottish drink is far too sweet.

Capetonian
24th Jan 2014, 14:29
Vegemite has to be the most repulsive smelling substance that anyone would voluntarily put onto their food. When I worked in Oz my colleagues on my last day gave me a small hamper of typically Australian things as a memento of the lovely couple of months I spent there. Predictably there was a jar of VM in it. I took the top off and sniffed it and almost recoiled in disgust. Marmite on the other hand is the food of the gods!

Not that the debate is polarised, or anything . . . .

dazdaz1
24th Jan 2014, 14:33
You can't beat a good tsp of bovril in hot water.

Tankertrashnav
24th Jan 2014, 14:52
Marmite is the ejaculate of a crazed demon from the underworld. So is Vegemite.

Just corrected your post there, Magnus ;)

Gentleman's Relish, anyone? :ok:

MagnusP
24th Jan 2014, 14:56
Ah, so no polarisation there, TTN. :ok:

goudie
24th Jan 2014, 15:06
Whenever I visit my daughter in the States, I have to smuggle in several jars of Marmite.
Funny old things Governments, some allow folks to go shopping carrying a gun
but you can't buy Marmite 'cos it endangers yer 'elf!:confused:

500N
24th Jan 2014, 15:12
I like all 3 or at least used to.

Took a bit of time to get used to Vegimite
but always have a jar of it.

"You can't beat a good tsp of bovril in hot water."
Brings back memories.

Wholigan
24th Jan 2014, 15:15
It is possible that whenever any of my family visit my daughter in Vancouver they may find that they have accidentally packed a few huge jars of Marmite.

They always declare it and hand it in to the appropriate authorities as soon as they realise of course. What else could they do?

Krystal n chips
24th Jan 2014, 15:15
Whoa ! lets just take a sharp intake of breath.....and a quick call to the U.N Security Council at the point shall we.......

" a few years back they went after Hagis and Mushy Peas.

Well obviously !....you don't eat the two together unless you are totally devoid of culinary taste !.....Haggis is nice, every so often and with, in my case, a glass, well maybe, ahem "more than one " of Tomatin.....Mushy Pease....raised on them !....along with Fish n Chips and, the essential Manchester diet of..."Hollands Steak and Kidney Puddings ( culinary philistines can source this heaven on a plate , or soggy carton....take your pick. themselves) so any suggestion about banning said Peas is, sorry about this Canada as I like the Canadians and the Country, but, er, it's war !

However, there is potential salvation for Canada, you will be relieved to learn.

Any county that has the acumen to ban the substance not even Hell could produce, aka Marmite, is clearly progressive and should be supported, fully, with a complete embargo on the ( unprintable on a family site word )

ruddman
24th Jan 2014, 15:35
Who has marmite? A poor cousin to Vegemite.

Not liking 'vaginamite' makes sense if you read the fine print.....for real men only. :p

pigboat
24th Jan 2014, 15:40
'Ere now, just to prove insanity is not exclusive to Canada...

EU bans Danish pastries. (http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/01/09/how_danish_pastries_sparked_a_bun_fight_over_eu_food_rules.h tml)

Super VC-10
24th Jan 2014, 15:43
Let Canada ban Marmite, leaves more for the rest of us. :ok:

Mechta
24th Jan 2014, 15:51
Whilst sitting in front of the TV, watching Canadians landing heavily laden 70 year old aeroplanes on ice covered runways, or paddling a kayak through open sea between icebergs and polar bears, as you bite into your Marmite on toast, you can feel the smug satisfaction that you are confronting a danger that even they wouldn't...

500N
24th Jan 2014, 15:51
Pigboat

"'Ere now, just to prove insanity is not exclusive to Canada...
EU bans Danish pastries."

Er, that is the EU, everyone knows they are fcking stupid with stupid rules
made by fluffy huggy lefties.

Although it seems Canada is going the same way.

MG23
24th Jan 2014, 15:55
Fortunately I have enough to last a year or so, though perhaps we'd better be prepared to flush it down the toilet if the cops come knocking on the door.

After that, I guess we'll have to go to the dealers on 20th St.

'Hey man, got some sludge? I need a hit.'
'$50 an ounce man, take it or leave it.'

More seriously, I suspect this is just one of those molehills that has accidentally become a mountain. Someone probably stopped the shipment in customs to check it, found things that looked technically illegal, and now no-one wants to take responsibility. I've seen Marmite for sale in supermarkets here, though for about 10x what it costs in the UK.

Irn Bru, I can kind of understand, given there seem to be legitimate questions about one of the ingredients. Marmite I could understand if it was banned for being made from the sludge left over at the bottom of brewers' vats, but not for having vitamins that make it less unhealthy.

As for Vegemite, it's an OK fallback when Marmite isn't available.

ExXB
24th Jan 2014, 16:02
Has anyone actually read the article? Irn Bru spokesman says that they produce versions of their products that comply with N. American regulations.

It sounds to me that this retailer has been bypassing the normal supply chain and knowingly importing products that do not comply with Canadian Regulations. He got caught and lost a thousand squids, so he is throwing his toys out of the crib and acting like a child.

Canada has not banned Marmite, they have seized goods illegally imported at one shop.

MG23
24th Jan 2014, 16:13
Canada has not banned Marmite, they have seized goods illegally imported at one shop.

If Marmite isn't made in Canada, and can't be legally imported, then how's that any different to a ban?

ExXB
24th Jan 2014, 16:32
Marmite is available in many Canadian supermarkets, I'm assuming in a version that is compatible with Canadian regulations.

Marmite is not banned in Canada.

Krystal n chips
24th Jan 2014, 16:51
" Canada has not banned Marmite, they have seized goods illegally imported at one shop"

And in that one sentence, you have sealed Canada's destiny....think about it, obliterated from the planet due to bootleg American imports, unless, that is you can prove the Mushy Peas were also bootlegged....which will be nigh on impossible as the very sight of them would reduce the Yanks to an embargo on health grounds...... and probably opening fire on the plate as well.:E

Here's a, lets say valiant attempt......albeit one that would ensure said cook would be "advised" to seek a new career in one's town of origin serving a portion that size, and with peas in a cute little tumbler ....:E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3MPR4ztLDE

clunckdriver
24th Jan 2014, 18:11
"Mushy Peas" have been re -named so as to avoid the crime of "miss labeling" We have Hagis back by some other slight of hand manouver, and we will get Marmite back Im sure. Today one can buy make belive cigarettes powered by Lithium batteries made in China with dubious quality controll, just what we need in pasenger baggage , but these twits waste their time with this crap.Awhile back I flew in the back to the West Coast to pick up a new aircraft, the young F/A who gave me a bag of peanuts saw myself and the F/O pi--ing our pants laughing , and said"you read the warning huh?" She was talking about the large print on the bag which said, {are you ready for this?} CAUTION, CONTAINS NUTS! The handbook for my daughters new car is about two inches thick, Im sure half of this is warnings that you might die if one does not operate it exactly as written in the manual, its time for this bloody stupidity to stop or our society will simply grind to a complete stop!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Jan 2014, 20:39
Bought my latest jar of marmite last week :ok: - it's available everywhere. Usually found next to other yeast products in the Bakery section however, not in Spreads.

clunckdriver
24th Jan 2014, 21:13
Listning to the CBC on the way home today, its certainly making the news over here, here is what seems to have taken place. In spite of being approved by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency it apears that some bloody idiot based in Montreal with the Agency has taken it upon himsef to reject these products, this action has opened a flood gate of complaints about this department from retail outlets who complain that there is neither consistancy or justification in many of the decisions made by this department, having now arived home I see its now on CBC national telivision. Its time to fire these totally incompetant twits!

Dushan
24th Jan 2014, 23:37
Gentlemen, genlemen, I don't think that you realize the seriousness of he situation. It is not what this product contains, or is. It is that it was imported directly from the UK with ENGLISH ONLY labels. Of course we just can't have that. What are the poor French speaking Candians, in the middle of Toronto going to do when they encounter such a product? They may misake it for shoe polish and insult our friends from the UK.

Oh, wait, that's good as far as they are concerned.

Dushan
24th Jan 2014, 23:39
I see its now on CBC national telivision. Its time to fire these totally incompetant twits!

CBC or CBSA? Both as far as I am concerned.

parabellum
24th Jan 2014, 23:54
Not that keen on Vegemite but a relatively new product down here is called 'Cheesymate' and is a mix of Vegemite and cheese spread, I am addicted!

500N
24th Jan 2014, 23:57
Parabellum

It is nice, but I found it has a very short shelf life once opened.

Not too sure if you have found the same or if it lasts long enough
for you to find out :O

Adam Nams
25th Jan 2014, 02:13
mix of Vegemite and cheese spread

Sorry, that is just NOT ON.

Solid mature cheddar, marmite and cucumber slices ...:)

Pinky the pilot
25th Jan 2014, 02:22
Prefer Promite m'self.:ok: Even if it is a Kiwi invention. (Or so I was told. Standing by to be corrected)

ruddman
25th Jan 2014, 02:31
What next? Nutellamite?

If its it vegemite, its um.....no good. :E

meadowrun
25th Jan 2014, 02:46
Out goes one product- in come three new ones. Never liked Hershey's - couldn't even make good regular chocolate.

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w640-4b393ed522c680ef5f745989cea916e4.jpg

pigboat
25th Jan 2014, 02:51
It is not what this product contains, or is. It is that it was imported directly from the UK with ENGLISH ONLY labels.

That sounds about right. Probably a complaint by the same dumb tw!t who sued Big Red because he was served a 7UP in English. A few years ago Heinz Piccalilli was pulled off the shelves for the same reason, labels in English only.

Nervous SLF
25th Jan 2014, 04:04
New Zealand "Marmite" is different from English "Marmite" and English "Marmite" isn't allowed to be labeled as same.
Here it is called "Our Mate" but one much prefers the N.Z. version especially when one has thinly sliced raw onion in the
sandwich :ok: One hasn't tried "Promite" or "Cheeseymate" but I do dislike "Vegemite"

Isn't it about time you proper Canadians kicked that French lot out and let them have their independence ?

Bob Bevan
25th Jan 2014, 07:01
Marmite is one of God's finest creations unless you are a gout sufferer in which case avoid it like the plague!

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jan 2014, 09:09
Toast, slice of fried haggis liberally smeared with Bovril or OXO and a fried egg on top. It's for winners...:ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jan 2014, 09:53
Dushan and Pigboat have it - it's the labeling.

My marmite jar has ingredients in French and English.

clunckdriver
25th Jan 2014, 12:05
Nearvous SLF, in that case I would have to leave as I live in an area 50/50 French/English speaking, my kids all went to French school, {far higher standards than the English system by the way} like many that view us from the outside you may not have a grasp of our linguistic make up. Its not labeling which has resulted in this absurdity, its simply total stupidity on the part of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, they have in fact admited on CBC Radio that there are no harmfull substances in Marmite, although there may be "banned substances", bafflegab at its best! Of to the UK at the end of the month to take some training on how to keep a DH Gipsy Major running, think I will return with a jar and see what gives!Salut!

meadowrun
25th Jan 2014, 12:15
clunckdriver

Yes, could be interesting. You have to answer the question - are you bringing in food? - on the arrivals form.

Is a yeast extract a food?

indiscipline_girl
25th Jan 2014, 12:16
Does Canada allow MSG in foods? That stuff should be top of the list of controlled substances.

Super VC-10
25th Jan 2014, 12:21
If we're talking of mixing things with Marmite, peanut butter goes well! :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Jan 2014, 19:39
Seizure of British foods an isolated incident, CFIA says - Ottawa - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/seizure-of-british-foods-an-isolated-incident-cfia-says-1.2511615)

The official word. In short, this shipment didn't have the labeling in French also.

Dushan
26th Jan 2014, 21:13
Seizure of British foods an isolated incident, CFIA says - Ottawa - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/seizure-of-british-foods-an-isolated-incident-cfia-says-1.2511615)

The official word. In short, this shipment didn't have the labeling in French also.

I knew it. I am sure this guy's clientele in Hamilton, Ontario is going to be all confused due to lack of French labeling.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Jan 2014, 21:18
The article seems to imply agreement with you Dushan, i.e. the CFIA never actually says it's lack of French labeling, because they know very well that there won't be a lot of French-only speakers in a British Goods shop in Saskatoon, and they'd look stupid admitting that was the reason they stopped the import.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIjCaZmDclI

Mad (Flt) Scientist
26th Jan 2014, 21:42
I'm with those suspecting its the labelling.

I bought two bottles of irn bru on Saturday (in Montreal) and they look like this on the label:
http://imageshack.com/a/img89/4143/x2iz.jpg

Noteworthy:
1. Bilingual labelling
2. "original formula" suggesting that there's nothing in the actual drink itself that Canada objects to

Pappa Smurf
26th Jan 2014, 23:23
I was an old time vegemite eater,but now eat Promite as it doesn't have the bite if too much is used by mistake.
The knockers of Vegemite don't realise you only need a small dab on the end of the knife to put on buttered toast,not spread it on like jam.

reynoldsno1
26th Jan 2014, 23:49
N.Z. version especially when one has thinly sliced raw onion in the
sandwich One hasn't tried "Promite" or "Cheeseymate" but I do dislike "Vegemite"
I was brought up on original Marmite in the 50's & 60's, but it's changed over the years, particularly the consistency. NZ Marmite is horrible - it has copious amounts of sugar added to it. I am now a confirmed Vegemighty ...

con-pilot
27th Jan 2014, 00:04
As long as Brussels Sprouts are legal, no other food on Earth sould be banned and I don't care what that other food is or how bad it is for you.

DEATH TO BRUSSELS SPROUTS!

:E

Pinky the pilot
27th Jan 2014, 00:07
What con-pilot said!:ok:

parabellum
27th Jan 2014, 00:35
That stuff should be top of the list of controlled substances

That depends. If you are Chinese and eat six times a day and each serving is laced with MSG you may have a point as it is known, in some cases, to cause stomach irritation and may also cause headaches etc. but the emphasis is on 'in some cases'. Like just about everything else it can produce an allergic reaction in some people.

MSG came in for a battering when sectors of the latte drinking, Guardian reading set got hold of some limited information and then went berserk, blaming it for everything they could think of yet probably didn't eat Chinese food more than once a week. A fine example of that old saying, "A little learning is a dangerous thing". Some Chinese restaurants have even gone as far as putting, 'No MSG Used in Cooking' or similar on their menus.

MSG is an odourless, tasteless supplement that excites the salivary glands to generate more saliva, thus allowing more of the food to pass over the taste buds, it is a taste enhancing agent that contains one third the sodium of table salt. Given the test, the vast majority of people fail the test to pick the dish with MSG.

reynoldsno1
27th Jan 2014, 00:47
VIVA BRUSSELS SPROUTS!

llondel
27th Jan 2014, 02:24
I was impressed because my wife managed to make Brussels sprouts edible. Either be a good cook or marry one.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Jan 2014, 04:43
There's one trick to Brussel sprouts - grow your own, and pick 'em just before cooking. Two tricks. And don't overcook them...
Among the tricks with Brussel sprouts are...
grow your own, pick them fresh, cut an 'x' in the base, don't overcook them, and nice red uniforms.

Nervous SLF
27th Jan 2014, 07:11
I kid you not but there was deep doom and gloom throughout NZ when NZ marmite had to stop production as the
factory was severely damaged in the Christchurch earthquake in February 2011. This doom and gloom lasted a long time
before production was finally resumed and this period became known as 'Marmageddon' Even the BBC carried the
story:- BBC News - 'Marmageddon' over as New Zealand shops restock Marmite (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21855045)

MagnusP
27th Jan 2014, 07:16
So Canada inflict Dying Sealion and Justin wossname on the rest of the planet, but bans Marmite?? Jeez.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jan 2014, 07:43
Brussels Sprouts are for het tigers, not foppish girly men.:}

clunckdriver
3rd Feb 2014, 11:20
Well, I was all set up to confront Canada Customs, but the "baggage search Nazis" at Heathrow beat them to the punch, you may not know it but the very smallest jar of Marmite is TEN ML TO BIG! Thus being a risk to air travel around the world! After being told this I removed the lid and dumped it into the garbage, much to the anoyance of the visible minority/ limited English speaking/terminal body odour afflicted/twit behind the desk, {a quick search of houses ocupied by security types I think would explaine where all this stuff finishes up!} The good news is that it was on special and cost only 50P.The whole security show at Heathrow seems to present the true risk to the public, lets get the max number of folks crowded in one area so that if some jerk does make anything go bang then there will be as many hurt as possible, when will the world learn from Isreal how to do this stuff? With the exception of this minor blip we had a great time in the UK, the pubs are still great and all the folks were friendly and very helpfull at all times to us, we will be back!

clunckdriver
10th Feb 2014, 23:11
Oh dear, my wife just came back from a trip to our nations capitol Ottawa, {AKA "Fort Fumble"} wheare she purchased a UNILINGUAL jar of Marmite! We are hunkering down with our firearms, {all registered by the way} expecting a major assult from the "Speach Police" from acros the river,but its fifteen below outside, so I doubt we will see them tonight!

ruddman
11th Feb 2014, 00:36
Marmite? Bah!

Vegemite or bust.

John Hill
11th Feb 2014, 04:45
After being told this I removed the lid and dumped it into the garbage.

You should have just stuck your finger in the jar, scooped out a good dollop and licked it all down!

aviate1138
11th Feb 2014, 07:15
Although more expensive, Fortnum and Mason's Beef Extract is the best of the best IMHO.

Well worth a try.

unstable load
11th Feb 2014, 08:06
Fortnum and Mason's Beef Extract is the best of the best IMHO.
Surely, that's also known as Bovril?
Marmite is from Yeast extract.

Old 'Un
11th Feb 2014, 08:20
clunkdriver Was the said jar 10ML or 10 GRAMS too big? Have been arguing with local AvSec folk about this and am seriously thinking of asking the Courts to determine who is right. This, in my instance, is to do with toothpaste, not Marmite. As anyone who flies a kero burner will know, one litre of kero does not weigh one kilogram - one litre of water weighs one kilo, that's part of the interrelationship, if you remember your basic chemistry. Toothpaste is more dense than water (i.e. it sinks in a container of water). So 110g of toothpaste (as noted on the tube) is NOT NECESSARILY more than100ml. Marmite also sinks in water, so its specific gravity (SG) is greater than 1. Good chance Marmite's SG is around 1.1, which means that 110g (its weight) is probably 100ml (its volume). Yeah, OK, a bit academic I know, but the regs do quite specifically say 100 MILLILITRES.

Oops, way off thread, sorry.

I eat both Vegemite and Marmite, not together though. Have guzzled kilos of them over the years, used in soups, stews and gravies too. No noted ill side-effects thus far, well, none the medic can detect.

Vegemite and Marmite are both like bulls hit or wasabi though - a little spread thinly goes a long way :ok:

Le Vieux

MagnusP
11th Feb 2014, 08:35
Old 'Un, first time I encountered wasabi (with a portion of seared nairagi), no bugga told me I should mix it with soy first. :eek:

radeng
11th Feb 2014, 09:13
I read somewhere that MSG has two optical isomers, a left hand one and a right hand one. The artificial MSG is one and the natural Chinese stuff from seaweed is the other, and it's the artificial one that can cause problems for some people. I can't remember which is which.....

aviate1138
11th Feb 2014, 20:04
For some years Bovril was produced without any beef product because of the BSE panic. So it was made from yeast as marmite. Now once again Bovril is made with beef and the jars now have BEEF printed on the label and I am sure as a result Fortnum and Mason no longer sell their Beef Extract afaik, certainly not on their website.

mostlylurking
12th Feb 2014, 09:24
A few years ago I spent a week living in a farmhouse in the Northern Cape with some French colleagues (mining project). The first morning at breakfast, while they faffed around with toast etc. I settled down with a bowl of instant Oats.
They thought it was very funny and one said "so I suppose you eat Marmite too?" I answered in the affirmative, they burst into hysterical laughter.
My question is what was so funny? They never did tell me.

rotornut
12th Feb 2014, 14:50
The French eat some pretty weird things so we could have a good laugh at them.

500N
12th Feb 2014, 15:01
Mostlylurking

The French feed the oats to horses and then eat the horses !

And they probably think they are too "cultured" to eat "Marmite" :O
The name (Marmite) is actually a French word for a casserole dish made of clay
or something like that.

rotornut
12th Feb 2014, 21:32
Or how about this one that the French eat or used to eat:
Don't eat this bird, at least in France, please | Science Buzz (http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/dont-eat-bird-least-france-please)

aviate1138
13th Feb 2014, 06:03
Just tried the 'New' Beef Bovril - not a patch on the now discontinued Fortnum and Mason Beef Extract :(

pigboat
13th Feb 2014, 12:16
The bite-sized bird is killed by being drowned in armagnac, plucked and roasted with its yellow skin and skeleton intact. The French then shroud their head in a napkin to eat ortolan.

Zoot Alors!! :eek:

Akrotiri71
13th Feb 2014, 14:20
Marmite makes an excellent thread-locker! Ever tried to screw the lid off a jar that's been in the cupboard for a while? Loctite 242 has nothing on Marmite!

aviate1138
14th Feb 2014, 15:10
For those that might appreciate quality I had an email from Fortnum's to say they still sell Beef Extract but it is discontinued at the end of March. You have to call to order - no online sales now.

item# 2000175 12+ a jar

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
14th Feb 2014, 16:03
Just occurred to me........Maybe someone at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency spotted that unhelpful quote about Marmite being a:
"Yeast infection in a jar"....

Carrier
7th Apr 2014, 01:17
The Herr Harper government of Soviet Canuckistan is ramping up its war against deadly enemy foods that are too potent for Big Bobby Clobber and pals. If they do let any in it is only a watered down version that is weak enough for the poor dears.

Then they have the cheek to expect others to accept their seal meat, maple syrup, etc.

Saskatoon's Brit Foods closing after dispute with CFIA - Saskatoon - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatoon-s-brit-foods-closing-after-dispute-with-cfia-1.2599760)