PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunities with a B.Sc. Aerospace Eng.

mezzanaccio
24th Jan 2014, 08:37
Hello everyone, I hope there is no similar thread as I haven't found any.

I would like to ask some information about present job opportunities for someone who has a a B.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering and would like to work in the aircraft maintenance field in Europe. Would my degree be an advantage?
I would just like to have the opinion of someone working in the field about what job I could/should be aiming for.

Thank you.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jan 2014, 06:17
You have an advantage of study habits and existing aerospace knowledge, but from a maintenance viewpoint you aren't either skilled or licenced, so you will need to look for trainee or unskilled positions. It may be worth looking at going into study for licences.

As I'm sure you know, your BSc is aimed at quite different roles - design office, analysis, bottom end research - so significant further study will be needed.

There are some "back room" jobs in larger maintenance facilities that your degree does give value to - generally things like analysing repair schemes and modifications, reviewing ongoing safety data - but trainee level jobs in that kind of work are rare. It's a good route into the industry however, if you can find such a job.

G

emergency000
25th Jan 2014, 09:01
I started my apprenticeship the same day as a guy who had a Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering. And graduated before him.

As Genghis said, your degree is more suited to writing repairs, engineering instructions/orders/authorities or maintenance procedures. In terms of the actual nuts and bolts of the aircraft, hand skills are what really matter. Sadly, in your situation, a degree doesn't equal hand skills nor is it likely to give you any credit for aircraft maintenance subjects. All it means is you know how to study, so the theory side should be pretty easy.

Cheers,
John

mezzanaccio
26th Jan 2014, 17:14
Thanks a lot to both, very helpful answers.