PDA

View Full Version : New plates for cars?

UniFoxOs
24th Jan 2014, 08:09
Elderly drivers should alert other motorists to their age - study recommends.

LINK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10581056/Elderly-drivers-should-alert-other-motorists-to-their-age-study-recommends.html)

So when we learn to drive we have L plates, what will we have when we get old? Your suggestions for a single plate for the back of your car.

C for Cottontop?
T for Twirlie?

Capetonian
24th Jan 2014, 08:15
A step too far. Old drivers are not necessarily unsafe drivers, a 75 year old may well be far less of a risk than a 25 year old in a hotted up Clito trying to impress his mates/girlfriend. Next we will have to have plates alerting other motorists to the fact that we had a heavy night last night, are listening to loud music and oblivious to the rest of the world, in a hurry, terminally stupid, on the phone, having a row with the o/h, etc.

What about people simply driving responsibly and laws being enforced and backed up with severe amd instant penalties for transgressors?

Nah, that would never work, it's common sense.

G-CPTN
24th Jan 2014, 08:17
W for Wrinklie (after T for Twirlie).

A for Alzheimer.

OF for Old Fart.

GOM for Grumpy Old Man.

Fareastdriver
24th Jan 2014, 08:20
What about people simply driving responsibly and laws being enforced and backed up with severe amd instant penalties for transgressors?

Let he, who is without guilt, cast the first stone.

Capetonian
24th Jan 2014, 08:29
Pointless comment, FED, we have all at various times broken the law, either unwittingly or knowingly. That is not the point. The point is that as the nanny state wraps people more and more in cotton wool, you end with a populace that refuses to take responsibility for its misdemeanours.

"But your Worship, there wasn't actually a sign in the shop that said 'Shoplifting is illegal.' "

B Fraser
24th Jan 2014, 08:30
In Europe, Belgian cars have red number plates. It reminds the Dutch to give them a very wide berth.

UniFoxOs
24th Jan 2014, 08:54
Next we will have to have plates alerting other motorists to the fact that we had a heavy night last night, are listening to loud music and oblivious to the rest of the world, in a hurry, terminally stupid, on the phone, having a row with the o/h, etc.

We have those already - they are the personalised car badge of Bloody Minded [email protected]

603DX
24th Jan 2014, 09:09
We have those already - they are the personalised car badge of Bloody Minded [email protected]

I too have those already, front, back, and sides.

But could be supplemented by VSOP (Very Safe Older Person), like it says on my brandy bottle. :rolleyes:

charliegolf
24th Jan 2014, 09:11
Why not just stick with KOS. Has worked for years.

CG

More seriously, if tossers don't stop driving like tossers when they see, 'Baby on Board', why will they when they see, 'KOS on Board'?

DType
24th Jan 2014, 10:13
Having been held up many times in my youth by old dodderers proudly displaying the "Veteran" motorists badge, I vowed to join when I hit the 50 year marker and stick the badge on the back of whatever car I then owned. The car now is a TVR, but the Veteran Motorists Association is long gone.
Thank goodness!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2014, 10:18
There's already a badge on pensioners' cars. 'H' for 'Honda' (since the demise of the NSX and the S2000, no-one else buys 'em!).

cattletruck
24th Jan 2014, 10:57
Around these neck of the woods it's V for Volvo.

goudie
24th Jan 2014, 10:58
What about people simply driving responsibly and laws being enforced and backed up with severe and instant penalties for transgressors?
As happened to the prat caught driving with his hands clasped behind his head.

I believe the old Rovers were a good sign of senility of the driver.

MagnusP
24th Jan 2014, 11:04
There is no need for a special plate. The wearing of a flat Harris tweed cap is sufficient warning to other drivers.

Capetonian
24th Jan 2014, 11:10
http://regfinder.net/dplate.php?word=W4NK3R
Sadly probably not allowed, and then there wouldn't be enough to go round.

PR4 T
T05 5ER
PEN 15
1D 10T
4RS H0L
etc.

chevvron
24th Jan 2014, 11:13
If I ever come up behind a car whose driver is wearing a trilby, I pull well back.

rans6andrew
24th Jan 2014, 11:13
There is no need to change plates or badges or anything else. The ones to be wary of give the game away without realising.

Hats!

Just give anyone wearing a hat a wide berth. The younger idiots all have their baseball caps on backwards, the old gits all have their pork pie hats on, the asleep at the wheel types have their flat caps on.

All of our cars have effective heating and ventilation, there is no more need for a hat then when in the house.

Rans6........

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2014, 11:20
Hat wearers, yes. Also, those with a little 'fish' symbol on the back of the car!

Capetonian
24th Jan 2014, 11:20
there is no more need for a hat then when in the house.There are lot of people who wear a hat indoors, something I find incredibly irritating and bad mannered. I threatened to throw someone off a course I was running as he insisted on wearing a baseball cap, backwards, during the course. I had a quiet polite word with him, asked him if there was a medical or other reason why he needed his head covered, his reply was : "It's cos I wanna, innit." I gave him the ultimatum and he came back after the break without the cap.

He was a moron, and I'm insulting a lot of morons by comparing him.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2014, 11:23
They wear the baseball cap backwards to stop their neck getting any redder!

MagnusP
24th Jan 2014, 11:34
Cape, I've done the same with idiots who come and sit in court with reversed BB caps on. "Is there something wrong with your head? No? Then lose the hat."

Lightning Mate
24th Jan 2014, 11:40
Well, I'm 66 with a clean licence since 1966.

My car already wears a badge to indicate my age - it's a three-pointed star.

OFSO
24th Jan 2014, 12:03
It reminds the Dutch to give them a very wide berth.

It reminds EVERYONE to give Belgians a wide berth !

BTW I am now driving more slowly as I get older, but not because I feel more unsure or feel I have slower reaction times. The reason is that police who stop an older driver have a bias against age and are more likely to send you off for some kind of test (USA), whip your licence away (in France) or simply shoot you (here in Spain.)

Avoiding infracations is the best thing to do.

Mechta
24th Jan 2014, 12:16
Number plates which identify the type of driver also help criminals target the car or its users. For instance, in Cyprus, they used to have red number plates on hire cars, which meant that thieves and muggers knew which cars to target.

At work, thanks to the car park which to small for the number of users, there are regular tannoys for the owners of cars parked obstructing loading areas or double parking other cars to move their cars. The announcement includes the make of car, though I don't know why they bother; its always a BMW...

cockney steve
24th Jan 2014, 12:32
I currently drive a Volvo estate..As a former Motor trade member, I've driven a lot of stuff ranging from an Isetta bubble-car to a Ferrari.

The sober, dark grey Volvo has wide, low profile tyres...It's very easy to provoke wheelspin,in spite of that.

Somewhere, I've got a pork-pie hat I inherited...It can be fun, sitting at lights, looking like a doddering old fart, seeing Barry's* face when I drag away with a puff of tyre-smoke.:O ( clean license since 1976 )

* Barry- the generic term for the teverse BB cap wearer in the Corsa/Astra/saxo with the fartcan exhaust and shonky spoilers etc.....there is a website dedicated to ridiculing such morons....it is, of course "Barryboys"...lurked there many a happy hour, "admiring" Barry's artistic endeavours to depreciate his investment at twice normal rate.

ShyTorque
24th Jan 2014, 13:42
Yes the modern Volvos are much misunderstood when it comes to performance. I bought one and found it can trounce the BMW 3 series that it replaced for bottom end and mid range grunt. A bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Far better mpg, too.

goudie
24th Jan 2014, 14:01
Number plates which identify the type of driver also help criminals target the car or its users

There was a spate of this in Florida some years ago when criminals identified tourist by their hire car number plates. In some cases tourists were not only robbed but were murdered.

ShyTorque
24th Jan 2014, 14:10
British Forces Germany had their own plates which made us IRA targets. After a couple of murderous hits the system was dropped.

superq7
24th Jan 2014, 14:21
Shaggy what is the fish symbol ? perhaps their anglers.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2014, 15:07
Google 'fish symbol on cars'. Nothing to do with angling.

Mechta
24th Jan 2014, 15:31
You mean this one? :E

http://www.ignitumtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Car_darwinFish.jpg

Molemot
24th Jan 2014, 15:47
When I was in the Immigration Service, we used to delight in informing the (usually American) youths with their baseball caps on backwards, that a backwards cap in the UK was a sure sign that the wearer was gay. Hats revolved at lightning speed.....

mixture
24th Jan 2014, 16:17
C for Cottontop?

Surely its C for Coffin Dodger.

:E

11Fan
24th Jan 2014, 16:48
DY67XaX6oM8

OFSO
24th Jan 2014, 19:41
British Forces Germany had their own plates which made us IRA targets.

Likewise the Americans stationed in Germany. During my time their mini-plates were changed to a more German-looking plate. But it didn't work too well as this attack by the Red Army Faction showed:

Early morning fog is wafting over the River Neckar as the Mercedes saloon stops at a red light at exactly 07:18. Just a few seconds later war-like scenes arrive on this 15 September 1981 in Heidelberg. Shots, smoke, cries. Broken glass and chunks of asphalt flying through the air. The Mercedes is hit on the boot/trunk by a Panzerfaust (anti tank round).

Inside were American General Frederick James Kroesen and his wife Rowena. Both are injured, blood runs them over the faces. Then the next grenade explodes just behind the vehicle in the street. Rowena Kroesen screams: "Get out of here" The motor starts up, at high speed, the rider drove the Mercedes to the U.S. hospital.

Note that despite taking a direct hit, the Mercedes was still driveable.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/images_zpsfffdcdf8.jpg

Frühnebel wabert noch über dem Neckar als der helle Mercedes um genau 7.18 Uhr in der Nähe des Karlstorbahnhofs an einer roten Ampel hält. Nur wenige Sekunden später spielen sich an diesem 15. September 1981 mitten in Heidelberg kriegsähnliche Szenen ab. Schüsse, Rauch, Geschrei. Glassplitter und Asphaltbrocken fliegen durch die Luft. Der Mercedes ist am Heck schwer beschädigt - getroffen von einer Panzerfaustgranate.
Auf dem Rücksitz der Limousine tauschen der amerikanische General Frederick James Kroesen und seine Gattin Rowena entsetzte Blicke aus. Beide sind verletzt, Blut läuft ihnen über die Gesichter. Dann kracht die nächste Granate knapp hinter dem Fahrzeug in die Straße. Rowena Kroesen brüllt: "Warum stehen wir hier noch." Der Motor läuft an, mit hohem Tempo jagt der Fahrer den Mercedes in das US-Hospital.

Loose rivets
24th Jan 2014, 19:58
British Forces Germany had their own plates which made us IRA targets. After a couple of murderous hits the system was dropped.

Rather trivial after the above post, but I'll mention I got one of the first XJ6s because a young officer was heading off to NI and he knew the car would be an obvious target. Sweet deal for me, but all because of the frightening reality of 'The Troubles.'

JEM60
24th Jan 2014, 20:02
Capetonian. PEN 15 was allowed, by mistake, to slip through the system. It is owned and used by Steve Parrish, ex motorcycle racer of some repute, and now a TV commentator.

RedhillPhil
24th Jan 2014, 21:00
Capetonian. PEN 15 was allowed, by mistake, to slip through the system. It is owned and used by Steve Parrish, ex motorcycle racer of some repute, and now a TV commentator.

Terribly sorry Sir but that's an urban myth. Neither PEN 1 S or PEN 15 were ever issued. It's true that he displayed the plate on his racing lorry - which he took to after giving up the bikes - but it was never issued for vehicle registration use. T1TTY has always appealed but sadly that one never got issued either.

goudie
24th Jan 2014, 21:18
Not according to this

PEN 15 - The number plate they tried to ban! (http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/pr/pen15/ban-pen15.asp)

I read somewhere, many years ago that a Fiona Richmond (model I think) had it on her car.

Capetonian
24th Jan 2014, 21:22
I believe it 'belonged' to Rod Stewart in the mid 1970's, when he lived in Bishops Avenue, Finchley, and it was on a white Bentley or Rolls Royce. He was married to Britt Eklund at the time.

llondel
25th Jan 2014, 02:06
It was probably back in the 70s, but I'm sure I remember reading a newspaper article where someone got fined for modifying the PEN15 plate with a black marker pen (I think it was the old light on dark background plate then) to round off the 5.

onetrack
25th Jan 2014, 10:12
This is a brilliant idea. We could go further, and issue all-letter, all-numeral, or mixed letter-and-numeral plates (as we do here in West Oz with "personalised" plates) - and we could have number plates identifying every type of person in the book. :)

IDOSFA or ONDDOLE - Your local welfare bludger
8LONDE or 3DN078 (best read upside down and back to front) - to give you adequate warning of her thought patterns (or lack of them)
UTO55A - Just to let the other bloke know, what you think of his driving style
A55HOL - A clear warning that this driver has some major problems
ON8AIL - This would be appropriate for your local thieving scrote
1DUMLEB - A very suitable number plate for a local ME-ancestry, drive-by shooting, scumbag

I'm sure there's thousands more combinations that could be highly appropriate. I think this program needs to be initiated, post-haste .... :E

cockney steve
25th Jan 2014, 11:54
UK govenment took a long while to catch on, some years ago there was an "amnesty" where , if you didn't register a vehicle on the national computer, you lost the number.

In the case of re-emerging historic vehicles, they usually issue a new, age-related number and the old one, even though it is not re-issued at the time, is forfeit.
All registrations, old and new, are vetted for anything rude ir offensive and these are not sold....anything else is auctioned....very rarely, something slips through the net as a standard-issue reg. number.

OO7 used to be on a red Jaguar E-type in the Southend area.
I seem to remember seeing 1 WOG also WOG1 also in Southend in the 70's.

As soon as the PC industry gained momentum, the WOG series was withdrawn (I str they were trying to refuse to transfer them, as well.)

Capetonian
25th Jan 2014, 12:55
We have them in SA as well, they have to end in the province suffix, such as GP or WP, but other than that, more or less anything goes.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEZ9mmSX8rGtGm2WMjCMApBrUCtBTpTl9KgH_9B7d fZOWC2H4jhttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-IC7ePjcfteWRzhEG1AIAUkIc-MUoNxRZ_d1Rsl0hUgBNIhAF
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSFSViVXf9vTNXS90RYZe2F_DlSvD_TbYcQiFWbj6 Xu229GIavhttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2JM3kv1oJf6U3MIE8nEG8zb9G8v5E2Jq23ix8Iwa wAzCmKFkKnghttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaI-eYHkdcUxm59XQaYxaqPmcb0vHJwKfeoccBbVO-lCM1okuq

A friend of mine claimn to have seen POES WP.

Tankertrashnav
25th Jan 2014, 14:01
Chum of mine who was in the Met at the time swore he had seen OBO110X around London in the late 80's.

RedhillPhil
25th Jan 2014, 17:43
Not according to this

PEN 15 - The number plate they tried to ban! (http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/pr/pen15/ban-pen15.asp)

I read somewhere, many years ago that a Fiona Richmond (model I think) had it on her car.

Fiona Richmond's plate on her E-type was FU 2.

goudie
25th Jan 2014, 18:02
According to this website she had both...quite a gal!

The Jensen Owners' Club ? View topic - Unwanted Heat (http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1024&start=3600)

UniFoxOs
25th Jan 2014, 20:19
Always have to chuckle when going over to a mate's place. One of his neighbours has a car proudly displaying that they are DR05SES.

Hydromet
25th Jan 2014, 21:16
I met the bloke (father of a friend) who inherited the vehicle with the number plate "1", probably worth a million dollars to those who will pay for such things. However, it was an NSW plate and he lived in Qld, and to keep it he had to have a NSW residential address. As he pondered this, a developer offered him a ridiculous sum for his large Gold Coast property, which he accepted, and moved to NSW. Talk about luck and timing.

Not sure who he inherited it from, but at one stage the plate had belonged to the founding head of Trans-Australia Airlines.