PDA

View Full Version : I challenge you to only watch this one. I was hooked right away.

Loose rivets
24th Jan 2014, 05:00
Bit funny being lectured about one's country by someone that's a bit furrin, but at least he gets a move on.

The one about Holland, erm, The Netherlands, is just what I need to talk intelligently to a nice Dutch lady at the European club.

The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained - YouTube

Wingswinger
24th Jan 2014, 06:38
Brilliant. We could do with showing that in our schools, especially our ENGLISH schools. :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Jan 2014, 06:52
Reckon he missed out that bit of rock just off the coast of Spain - Africkee or something like that.....

Not to mention a couple of places in that tiny bit of land off to the East.

VP959
24th Jan 2014, 07:10
I always thought that Wales was, technically, a Principality, not a country in its own right. AFAIK, (as someone who's significant other is a direct descendant of the last true "Prince of Wales", Owain Glendower). Wales as a single entity has never had a crowned ruling monarch, unlike Scotland.

As such I believe it is wrong to refer to Wales as a country, as such, as it hasn't (again, AFAIK) ever truly been one. The current Welsh border is relatively modern, as, unlike Scotland, there has never been a single Welsh kingdom that ever defined and fought to maintain such a border (Glendower probably came closest to being a supreme ruler of the collected tribal populations that inhabit what we now call Wales, but he was never a King and never ruled all of what we now recognise as the Principality of Wales).

Bern Oulli
24th Jan 2014, 16:17
I see that Alderney, Sark, Herm, Brecqhou, and Jethou, didn't get a mention, although I suppose, as they are all part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, which did get a mention, I'll let him off. pretty good round-up - for a furriner.

Loose rivets
24th Jan 2014, 16:35
The one about Vatican City/country/Kingdom??? has some surprises for me. The Pope is King? Never knew that.

Oh, and City of London. A different mayor? I didn't know that either.

Mind you, I wouldn't enter an exam based on his teachings. Good, but much from Wikki, so has to be checked and double checked.

Geoff Hunt
24th Jan 2014, 16:44
Informative, and educational.
Brilliantly done! Thanks!

Windy Militant
24th Jan 2014, 18:47
(as someone who's significant other is a direct descendant of the last true "Prince of Wales", Owain Glendower).
So your other half is alleging that she descended from a character from a play wot was wrote by a bloke from Stratford, or did she mean Owain Glyn Dŵr, Tywysog diwetha Cymru. ;)

PTT
24th Jan 2014, 19:50
His channel is excellent. The "What's wrong with the electoral college" was great, and I shall be viewing a good few more.

SASless
25th Jan 2014, 01:37
Owain Glyn Dŵr, Tywysog diwetha Cymru.

She's Greek is she?

rotornut
25th Jan 2014, 13:36
Until 1982 the U.K. Parliament could enact laws affecting Canada.

VP959
25th Jan 2014, 13:54
Owain Glyn Dŵr

OK, but her family (who have a verified family tree still up on the wall of the family castle that goes back to before 1100) use the Anglicised spelling of the name, "Glendower". Some of the male members of the family still use the name as a middle name today, a practice that seems to go back to the time when one of this blokes offspring entered into marriage (presumably strategic) with the offspring of the English (well, strictly speaking Norman) lord that controlled that bit of the Welsh Marches.

Tankertrashnav
25th Jan 2014, 14:14
Never knew that Akrotiri and Dhekelia were classed as Crown Colonies - they used to be called Sovereign Base Areas - maybe that's changed?

Excellent I thought - although you try and get an Irishman to accept that Ireland is part of the British Isles - I believe they even enacted a law to state that it is not, even though it is purely a geographical term!

Loki
25th Jan 2014, 14:59
And I know plenty of Northern Irish people who are proud to call themselves Irish, and British.

Fantome
25th Jan 2014, 16:43
The remarkable pace of Mr Grey's delivery is akin to the speed that some septic tank ATC wallahs give long and involved clearances.

He does not appear to draw breath. Could that be like a didge player,
doing the circular breathing thing?

Windy Militant
25th Jan 2014, 16:56
VP959, fair enough, but stop calling me Norman!;)

Ooh,I've just had one of me blinding flashes.
I wonder if They'll hear Kate telling prince George "Don't call Will on your father"* :}

*You have to have seen the Our House Sketches on the Ryan and Ronnie show to know what this means and know who "That Brazen Hussy" Phillys Doris was!