PDA

View Full Version : And now time for something completely different, Sochi.

con-pilot
22nd Jan 2014, 22:03
How safe will the Olympics in Sochi going to be?

I still have limited access to some of my old offical sources and there are a lot of people really nervous, people whose business it is not to be nervous, but to be informed and prepared.

There are a few, though the numbers are increasing, corporations that have cancelled using their corprorate aircraft to go to Olympics and they will not use the airlines due to the risk of terrorist acts.

A couple of companies that still plan on going anyway, are taking two full crews so that they can leave at anytime 24/7. Others will stage out of other countries and shuttle their passengers in and out of the area.

A few more thoughts, some from my old sources and some from just watching the news.

It is looking like Putin cannot give tickets away for the games, Last I heard only about 30% of all tickets have been sold.

It also appears Putin is not playing nice with other countries' intelligence agencies.

I pray that nothing will happen and that Putin proves he can make the games safe.

But, I just have that feeling....

500N
22nd Jan 2014, 22:09
Con

I am not as well informed as you but I read something the other day
that made me think likewise.

I then did some googling and read about the US intel agencies
saying that they wished Russia / Putin would collaborate a bit
more for everyone's benefit.

Hopefully it will be safe.

Question for you re
"corporations that have cancelled using their corprorate aircraft to go to Olympics"

Why did they do this ?

Isn't or wouldn't it be safer to use a corporate jet ?

or are they worried about SAM's ?

Genuine questions.

pigboat
22nd Jan 2014, 22:25
Canadian news was reporting the authorities are looking for a female bombing suspect they think is already in the city.

obgraham
22nd Jan 2014, 22:28
The "evildoers" (to resurrect GWB here) don't need to actually do anything. They have accomplished their goal by injecting fear into potential attendees. They knew full well that Putin would not stand for any outside assistance on security matters, and are playing on that fear.

Capetonian
22nd Jan 2014, 22:37
I would imagine that the shit going on in Kiev will put many people off. I know it's a different country and a thousand miles away but do THEY know!

When there was a coup in Kenya 30 or so years ago we were asked constantly 'is it safe to go to South Africa?'

con-pilot
22nd Jan 2014, 22:49
Genuine questions.

Yes, good ones as well.

Overall with these types of events, a private/corpotate jet is safer than the airlines. As one of the reason for terrorist attacks is propganda and public impact of the cowardly attack. They can recieve much more publicity blowing an airliner out of the sky, or on the ground than taking out a small jet carrying only eight or ten passengers.

Also you operate on no set schedule and many times do not use major airports for operations. So basicaly the terrorits receive more 'bang for the bucks' attacking schedule air carries so to say.

Why waste a MANPAD on a G-550 when it could be used on a full 747, A-340 or an A-380.

That's why I liked flying a Falcon 50 all over the world, hardly worth the effort to shoot it down. :p

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd Jan 2014, 23:43
On the other hand, flying in corporate jets to sports events is optional. Shoot down one, and how many will be going to the next world sports event threatened by Islamic extremists?
And guess what happens to these events when the big money stays away?

Dushan
23rd Jan 2014, 00:19
I hope and pray that nothing happens.

However, if something does happen maybe the huggy fluffs will finally realize that the only way to deal with this scum is full out war, take no prisoners, fight to win, glass them over. The Russians are certainly willing and capable and maybe would take the opportunity to execute it.

And I don't want to hear from the usual suspects about the innocents, and the rest of the bleeding heart stuff.

The real sad thing is that for the next three weeks the only thing on TV will be Re-runs and continuous reports about the stupidest sports and other "interest" stories. I hate the Olympics.

rh200
23rd Jan 2014, 00:25
The Russians are certainly willing and capable and maybe would take the opportunity to execute it.

Well if he wanted to, he could start massing troops and all the hardware at the borders of various areas. State that their to deal with the problem if anything untowards happens at Sochi.

That alone should be enough to shake up the hornets nests to panic, possible break communications protocol, and let the intel agency's get enough information to crack open any cells.

Dushan
23rd Jan 2014, 00:28
[tin hat]

Maybe the two explosions, a few weeks ago in Volvograd were false flag operations.

[/tin hat]

John Hill
23rd Jan 2014, 03:30
However, if something does happen maybe the huggy fluffs will finally realize that the only way to deal with this scum is full out war, take no prisoners, fight to win, glass them over.

Perhaps one day you will understand the difficulty of waging war against an enemy you do not know, you do not know who they are, you do not know where they are. You may also eventually realise that killing people who are not your enemy invites others to become your deadly enemies. How many enemies did you have in 1995? How many do you think you have now, more or less?

fitliker
23rd Jan 2014, 04:23
Is the soil in the forests around Socchi as deep as the soil in the Katyn forests ?

Hey look a squirrel :)

doubleu-anker
23rd Jan 2014, 06:09
I'm a bit worried about those male toilets next to each other.

Maybe Putin trying to get on side with the :mad:s after all. :}

rh200
23rd Jan 2014, 06:10
Perhaps one day you will understand the difficulty of waging war against an enemy you do not know, you do not know who they are, you do not know where they are. You may also eventually realise that killing people who are not your enemy invites others to become your deadly enemies.

No John, they know who their enemy is. They know where there enemy is. They know the support base and what population that the enemy comes from.

Fact, not about right or wrong. If as shown by history, they are prepared to use complete unldutarated force, on the area they come from, it will end, I can assure you.

There might not be to many people in the west who will talk to them, and for that mater the Islamic world, but it works.

probes
23rd Jan 2014, 07:34
the only way to deal with this scum is full out war, take no prisoners, fight to win, glass them over
yep, that's what the Checheny are doing, seen from their angle.
Dunno. It would be suprising if nothing happened - let's just pray for fewer killed.
Genarally the style over there is blowing up houses, it seems.

And given the huge number of militia or security forces... there are bound to be some in need of something. Cash or "glory", who knows.

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jan 2014, 14:25
Does anyone really care if the odd luge participant gets blown up?

rgbrock1
23rd Jan 2014, 14:27
LW:

Not nice. :eek:

I guess one would care if a Luge participant got blowed up if that Luge person was ones son or daughter, no?

ORAC
23rd Jan 2014, 14:45
It is looking like Putin cannot give tickets away for the games, Last I heard only about 30% of all tickets have been sold. Looks like the Olympic spirit has been banned along with everything else liquid. Doesn't sound like fun.......

Winter Olympics 2014: Sochi under siege as fear and suspicion reign (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/10590819/Winter-Olympics-2014-Sochi-under-siege-as-fear-and-suspicion-reign.html)

dead_pan
23rd Jan 2014, 15:11
I think casualties are inevitable, especially if the US end up playing the Canadians in the hockey...

Volvograd

Blimey, I didn't know corporate sponsorship of the games had reached such heights.

Sallyann1234
23rd Jan 2014, 16:36
Maybe the two explosions, a few weeks ago in Volvograd
Gothenburg ?

con-pilot
23rd Jan 2014, 16:40
On the other hand, flying in corporate jets to sports events is optional. Shoot down one, and how many will be going to the next world sports event threatened by Islamic extremists?
And guess what happens to these events when the big money stays away?

"On the other hand, flying in corporate jets to sports events is optional. Shoot down one, and how many will be going to the next world sports event threatened by Islamic extremists?"

The percentage of people attending sporting events by use of corporate aircraft is minuscule when compared to the make up of 99.9 percent of the spectators that attend same sporting events.

One more time, the headlines (publicity) of shooting down a fully loaded 747, etc. is much more important and has a much greater impact than shooting down a corporate aircraft with eight to ten passnegers onboard.

"And guess what happens to these events when the big money stays away?"

Guess what, big money will not stay away, the coporate sponsership will still be there, but the people with "big money" will stay away. Which will not effect the events.

Now, of course there are exceptions to my points about corporate aircraft not being a high value target for terrorist when it come to major events, such as the Olympics. High value targets such as politicans, sports/movie starts, etc.

However, the terrorists would have to know the exact aircraft these high value targets are flying in, their time of arrival/departure, the airports they will be using and an accurate passger list. All of this will require inside information, which adds risks of exposure to any type of this sort of attack.

No, much easier to take out an airliner. Also the chances of a terrorist getting on a corporate aircraft as a passenger carrying a bomb or to hijack said aircraft is basically non-existent.

By the way, I do know what I'm talkng about.

Oh, and if you think the terrorists can track a corporate aircraft via an website aircraft tracking system, forget it. You can block your aircraft registration. I've done it.

wings folded
23rd Jan 2014, 16:46
Oh, and if you think the terrorists can track a corporate aircraft via an website aircraft tracking system, forget it. You can block your aircraft registration. I've done it.

I imagine that you are speaking of mode S, con.

What of ACARS? Is that a factor or not? (Question designed to be less ignorant when I go to bed than when I left it.)

con-pilot
23rd Jan 2014, 17:01
I imagine that you are speaking of mode S, con.

Yes, however, only a few online tracking systems even bother to track non-airline flights. All I did was request that those that do track private, non-airline flights not to release the registration numbers of our aircraft.

In the US the online sites that do aircraft tracking, must block that infomation from the public if requested by the operator, the good old government can still access that information of course.

With the one other, at the time, non-US based flight tracking website that did bother to track private aircraft, honored my request, no questions asked.

Same with the information derived from ACARS, all information is aviaible, but the aircraft's registration is blocked by the tracking website.

wings folded
23rd Jan 2014, 17:49
Same with the information derived from ACARS, all information is aviaible, but the aircraft's registration is blocked by the tracking website.

I know that there are softwares available to decode ACARS transmissions and display the data in clear, so not relying on websites, but well equipped amateurs are able to know a hell of a lot about a given flight if they so choose. I suppose that a determined terrorist cell can do the same?

con-pilot
23rd Jan 2014, 18:48
I suppose that a determined terrorist cell can do the same?

I have say to yes to that. Thus the exception I posted regarding high value targets on corporate/private aircraft. If there is enough will to do evil, the terrorist will alyways find a way given enough time.

Hell, simple bribery will work when you get down to it.

But I was referring more to general targets of opportunity, for terrorits compared to airliners and corporate aircraft.

There is no aircraft immune to a terrorist's attack, not even Air Force One. All one can do is lessen the odds of being attacked.

Dushan
23rd Jan 2014, 21:30
Volgograd… Jeeez.

probes
24th Jan 2014, 06:00
However, the terrorists would have to know the exact aircraft these high value targets are flying in, their time of arrival/departure, the airports they will be using and an accurate passger list.
how many aircraft attacks have there been (Russia, that is)? Crowded houses seem to be a much easier target.

lomapaseo
24th Jan 2014, 15:17
how many aircraft attacks have there been (Russia, that is)? Crowded houses seem to be a much easier target

How about two on the same day

Caboclo
24th Jan 2014, 20:05
Minor point, but Russia's current enemies aren't "islamic extremists" in the same sense that America's are. Yes, they happen to be muslims, and they do employ the same techniques, but their motives are political, not religious. After all, it's not like Putin supports Israel.

rgbrock1
24th Jan 2014, 20:06
but their motives are political, not religious

for many Muslims the two are inseparable, if not the same thing.

Lonewolf_50
24th Jan 2014, 21:21
Minor point, but Russia's current enemies aren't "islamic extremists" in the same sense that America's are. Yes, they happen to be muslims, and they do employ the same techniques, but their motives are political, not religious.
OBL's motivations were political. He cloaked them in the banner of religion to make them more appealing to more people. I cannot understand how you made that post there, and actually believed what you posted. The distinction you pretend is there isn't.

reynoldsno1
27th Jan 2014, 01:16
Two weeks to go, 14C, raining ....

westhawk
27th Jan 2014, 03:32
Two weeks to go, 14C, raining ....

Yeah, allot like it was at Vancouver.

But even if the slopes have no snow, there's always curling! :ok:

As for security at the games, one can only hope it's as effective as it needs to be.

ORAC
28th Jan 2014, 07:48
Oooops......... :uhoh::uhoh::\:\

Sochi Olympics sponsor Coca-Cola wants to share a Coke, but not with gay people (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/sochi-olympics-sponsor-cocacola-wants-to-share-a-coke-but-not-with-gay-people-9088931.html)

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9088929.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/coca-cola.JPG

Coca-Cola's bid to downplay its sponsorship of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics took a blow this week, when it emerged that the word 'gay' is banned from its customisable 'share a Coke' function.

The brand's bid to make pouring a soda down your neck a more personal experience has been a huge success since it launched the naming promotion last summer, with customers encouraged to print their friend's name on a bottle.

Writing the word 'gay' into the service (https://shareacoke.co.za/) returns the error message "Oops. Let's pretend you didn't just type that. Please try another name," however, no doubt to the annoyance of the literally thousands of people whose first or last name is Gay.

Yes, it's clearly just an oversight and probably the result of one bored programmer's erroneous brainstorm of 'bad words', but the suggestion that the word gay is somehow not allowed could not come at a worse time for Coca-Cola.

The company are to be the sponsors for this year's Sochi Winter Olympics, where coverage of the protests and boycotts regarding Putin's anti-gay laws is set to outnumber that of Olympic curling about 1000 to one.

meadowrun
28th Jan 2014, 08:31
A couple of weeks to go and they've brought in the COSSACKS for supplementary security. Better late than never, I suppose.

However, if you go and see a phalanx of hairy, fur hatted maniacs on horseback bearing down on you at full gallop with sabres high - duck into the nearest excuse for a pub for awhile

sitigeltfel
28th Jan 2014, 08:32
The BBC Panorama programme last night was very revealing about the corruption behind this Olympic farce. From the denial that there were any gay people in the city (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25675957), to the hilarious story that it would have been cheaper to lay the new rail and road network with Louis Vuitton handbags, the whole enterprise was alleged to be a giant scam designed to funnel billions into the pockets of Putins cronies. It is hard to escape that conclusion.
No doubt the people at the top of the Olympic hierarchy will also be receiving adequate "compensation" for their foresight in handing the games to Sochi.

Tankertrashnav
28th Jan 2014, 16:15
No doubt the people at the top of the Olympic hierarchy will also be receiving adequate "compensation" for their foresight in handing the games to Sochi.

I dont know how you can make a statement like that Sitigeltfel. After all, that unimpeachable source of information, Wikipedia, tells us that:

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) (French: Comité international olympique, CIO) is a Swiss non-profit, non-governmental organisation based in Lausanne, Switzerland...

How then will it be possible for any of its members, who all, I am sure, are motivated purely by the Olympic spirit, ever agree to profit from any decision as to where and when the Olympics are held?

Shame on you :=

;)

perthsaint
28th Jan 2014, 17:28
Well played, sir, well played.

Sochi Olympics 2014: Mexican skier to wear Mariachi uniform - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites (http://fansided.com/2014/01/27/sochi-olympics-2014-mexican-skier-wear-mariachi-uniform/)

perthsaint
28th Jan 2014, 17:32
And very well played Germany too.

Germany Says Its Rainbow Olympic Uniforms Are Not Pride Flags (http://www.buzzfeed.com/joelanderson/germany-says-its-rainbow-olympic-uniforms-are-not-pride-flag?s=mobile)

ORAC
5th Feb 2014, 16:21
Shambles behind the scenes at Sochi (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10618744/Shambles-behind-the-scenes-at-Sochi.html)

It may be the world's most expensive Olympic Games to date, costing a record $50 billion, but the first arrivals at Sochi have revealed the utter chaos two days before the official opening

ruddman
5th Feb 2014, 16:55
I think casualties are inevitable, especially if the US end up playing the Canadians in the hockey...

You mean Ice Hockey? :rolleyes:

Real Hockey is played on the grass during summer. :cool:

Ancient Mariner
5th Feb 2014, 17:10
Who cares about hockey, ice or otherwise when this lady will represent Thailand in giant slalom?
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o702/perebs/Vanessa-Mae_zps2695897b.jpg (http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/perebs/media/Vanessa-Mae_zps2695897b.jpg.html)

I give you......................Vanessa Mae!
You just might know her from other scenes.
Per

500N
5th Feb 2014, 17:12
AM

I read that the other week, must be quite a talented lady.

Flash2001
5th Feb 2014, 18:04
The fury of a woman scorned is nothing compared to that of a journalist denied his entitlement to first class accommodation infinite booze etc. Methinks we'll hear a lot more about this.

After an excellent landing etc...

lomapaseo
5th Feb 2014, 19:15
Who cares about hockey, ice or otherwise when this lady will represent Thailand in giant slalom?

but can she ski around a pole?

Lonewolf_50
5th Feb 2014, 19:25
but can she ski around a pole?
Loma, as she's an accomplished violinist, you might be more interested in her fingering techniques.

barry lloyd
5th Feb 2014, 20:18
Now that the fourth estate has arrived in numbers, only to find there are some leftovers from Soviet times (yellow bathwater, unfinished/overbooked rooms etc., etc.), I trust they will now learn how to pronounce the name correctly. It's pronounced So-chee not Sot-chee.

BBC News - Sochi 2014: Journalists find hotels 'unfinished' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26045502)

Sochi Olympics: global press pack hang on for their rooms, lightbulbs and wi-fi | Sport | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/04/sochi-2014-winter-olympics-press-rooms-construction-delays)

Hopefully, there won't be any unpleasantness to report, however I share the views of C-P and others. The accuracy of reporting from the site thus far has been less than professional and I imagine that if there is anything other than the games to report upon, you can be sure that the hosts will do everything in their power to ensure that as little information as possible is available, as was shown with the recent incidents in Volgograd. Perhaps there was more symbolism in Mr Putin's visit to the animal sanctuary near Sochi than we realised. Everyone knows that the leopard does not change its spots :E

Lonewolf_50
5th Feb 2014, 21:49
The complaints about the local animal control killing stray dogs is probably biased reporting. It's not a big town. Is it not possible that they are ensuring a good supply of fresh meat for the Chinese team who are arriving to compete? :E Freakin' Western reporters spin it as though it an animal cruelty story. :p

(I suppose I'll get yelled at for that, but in my defense, the first time I ever had dog as food was in Asia, where people spoke Mandarin ... )

G-CPTN
6th Feb 2014, 16:23
-6RID82Ru-k

Gay Mountain video: Channel 4 wins first gold medal of Sochi for fabulous gay rights promo | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/06/channel-4-wins-first-gold-medal-of-sochi-for-fabulous-gay-rights-promo-4293825/)

Bronx
6th Feb 2014, 19:42
And who exactly has awarded Channel 4 a gold medal?
Other media luvvies?

I hope the Winter Olympics in Sochi are a fantastic success.

It would be very satisfying to disappoint the Western politicians, media luvvies and the PC brigade who object to Russia being the host.

B.

Tankertrashnav
6th Feb 2014, 21:56
Oh no - now they are warning about explosives in toothpaste!

I am so glad I am not flying anywhere in the world, never mind to Sochi, in the near future - queues at check-in are going to be endless :*

Re the Channel Four clip - I know lots of gay men, some are very good, long-term friends. Any one of them would rather stick pins in their eyes than dress up and make an exhibition of themselves in that way. Why does gay automatically have to equate to - "look at me I'm a raging queen" on these shows?

Bronx
6th Feb 2014, 23:18
Why does gay automatically have to equate to - "look at me I'm a raging queen" on these shows?

The shows reflect militant homosexual lobbies around the world.
Put Gay Pride (sic) into a Google image search and you'll see the the image they choose to portray.

galaxy flyer
7th Feb 2014, 01:37
I don't doubt the Thai skier is talented, but at what?

GF

Um... lifting...
7th Feb 2014, 02:55
Winter Olympics 2014: violinist Vanessa-Mae to ski for Thailand at the Sochi Games - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/10583271/Winter-Olympics-2014-violinist-Vanessa-Mae-to-ski-for-Thailand-at-the-Sochi-Games.html)

She's a violinist, GF, and apparently a rather good one. Deal with it.

Ah, but that used to be the way of things before governments and, later on, multinational corporations saw that this was a trough in which they could stick their greedy snouts.

Professionals in other areas used to come to the Olympics to compete as true amateurs. A very large proportion of athletes from lesser-known sports ultimately became professionals in very diverse fields at least partly because it was impossible for them to make a living at their sport. A number of athletes were stripped of their medals in days long gone because they had accepted prize money in an unrelated sport and were thus deemed to be 'professionals'.

In those innocent times there weren't multi-million dollar contracts sponsoring 12-year-olds from companies who flog stimulants (to name one).

And now there are. The Olympics are nothing but a fortnight of advertising.

llondel
7th Feb 2014, 02:57
The Canadians did a good advert, too.

effb2JYiKXM

fitliker
7th Feb 2014, 03:24
The drug companies love the opportunities to test their new drugs on the human volunteers.
Let the games begin and the benefits to humanity flow through the largest organized human drug trials ever.

I cannot wait until the benefits of RNA research is available in local hospitals, bring on the zombie apocalypse : )

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2014, 08:22
Bronx - entirely agree. Thats why my aforementioned friends would run a mile before taking part in a "gay pride" event. I reckon they are probably in the majority and when they see a bunch of attention seekers projecting this image they just cringe.

Lonewolf_50
7th Feb 2014, 18:35
Some people will do anything to get to Sochi (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/533588-sochi-attempted-hijack-pegasus-airlines-flight.html). :mad:

galaxy flyer
7th Feb 2014, 18:49
Um Lifting,

Great, a violinist; why the snideness in the comment?

GF

Trim Stab
7th Feb 2014, 19:06
I'm watching the opening ceremony live now - it is embarrassing to watch. There is NOBODY in the stands! They've even rigged flashlights around the stadium to give the impression of flash-photography. I feel sorry for the athletes - they must have so looked forward to this and it all looks rather sad and humiliating..

Lonewolf_50
7th Feb 2014, 19:22
FWIW, Trim stab, the athletes came for the competition. I doubt they care how thin the fan base is for the opening ceremony ... I mean, who the hell attends those anyway? (It's a bit chilly outside, isn't it? )

I am pretty sure the fans will show up at the events. I am certain the athletes will. They worked hard to get there.

TURIN
7th Feb 2014, 19:24
Apparently Russians invented Television and the Parachute.

Who'd a thunk it? :hmm:

Trim Stab
7th Feb 2014, 19:48
FWIW, Trim stab, the athletes came for the competition. I doubt they care how thin the fan base is for the opening ceremony ... I mean, who the hell attends those anyway? (It's a bit chilly outside, isn't it? )

To be fair, the attendance seems a bit better as the ceremony has unfolded - maybe a bit of Russian humour to wind us all up by making the opening moments seem like a total disaster..

I'm watching giant teddy bears ice-skating at the moment so it is getting better..

meadowrun
7th Feb 2014, 20:05
Olympic thought of the day...Designate three cities for winter and three cities for the summer games and rotate the games around them. This would cut major infrastructure expenditures and perhaps focus the games back where they belong - not commercial - not political. 50 or 60 billion dollars for some games??? Just totally out of hand and the current one seems to be the biggest chest pounding one of all. Could be a major chest thumping failure as well. Do I think world governments could possibly go for permanent locations - not a hope.http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/07/article-2553709-1B46D04A00000578-765_636x382.jpg

500N
7th Feb 2014, 20:33
I happened to wake up so switched on the TV.

I thought it was pretty lacking to be honest.

What are they going to do about no snow ?

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2014, 22:22
With Putin's CV in mind, I hope the designer of that snowflake thing likes salt!

broadreach
7th Feb 2014, 22:31
Haven't watched the opening ceremony on TV but just checked YouTube. Anything relevant is unavailable - a message of "private video" or similar comes up. And the official video isn't up yet. Would this be the Olympic Committee - or the Russians - being extra careful to only show captive footage and hounding YouTube over anything else?

probes
8th Feb 2014, 05:54
don't worry, meadowrun, the news said in the Russian TV it opened allright :ouch:.

500N
8th Feb 2014, 05:57
They have switchedl in the rehearsal pictures into the opening tv piece so it looks ok.

vee-tail-1
8th Feb 2014, 10:51
Hmnn .. I must have watched a different opening ceremony to some posters here :hmm:
What I saw was well done and quite moving at times.
There seemed to be many more spectators outside the stadium, and perhaps that was due to security issues.
That it happened at all is something of a miracle, and could make a positive difference in the world.
I spent more time than I like to remember flying against Russians during the cold war. Yet the many instances of good humour directed at my crew by Russian warships and aircrew we encountered was endearing.
Good luck to them say I :ok:

probes
8th Feb 2014, 12:54
the PM, on the other hand,

???????? ????? ?? ???????? ???????????? ??? - YouTube

airship
8th Feb 2014, 14:27
vee-tail-1 wrote: ...I spent more time than I like to remember flying against Russians during the cold war. Yet the many instances of good humour directed at my crew by Russian warships and aircrew we encountered was endearing.
Good luck to them say I :ok:

Sort of echoing those sentiments, I have to admit that I often wonder what sometimes makes me think or say many of the things I do on many subjects. So far as Russia (or the ex. USSR) generally are concerned, I 've never considered them as "the enemy". Despite the "Cold War", threat of "global communism" and everything else over the past century, I've always had a very real respect for her peoples and their sacrifices in our fight against more common and very real threats. I come across here as often being a socialist (or a communist to Americans), but I assure you that when I last voted in UK, my vote went to the Conservatives under Maggie Thatcher. And as is often the case with genuine Britons, have an unexplainable fondness for empathy if not sympathy, for the under-dog... :ok:

In recognition of present Russia (and ex. USSR) therefore, I offer the following YouTube video (for the ever-stirring national anthem, that starts at approx. 3m 10sec into the video):

Fall of Berlin 1945 (With the Red Army Choir and National Anthem of the USSR) - YouTube

PS. I realise that today, most of the younger generations live in an age of the Internet, wanting everything "here and now" and change should occur the most rapidly possible, certainly within their own life-times or ideally a decade at most. But our Sun should continue to give our planet another few hundreds of millions of mostly comfortable life conditions "before the beginning of the end". And I think that "when all is said and done", we human-beings today should be able to understand that rapid change is almost always accompanied by extreme violence. Civilisations, nations, religions, economic and political systems have taken centuries, if not longer to evolve to their present day forms. By all means, endeavour to improve, introduce changes etc., but at a reasonable pace. Rome was not built in a day, though with modern weapons, could be completely destroyed tomorow, and within 45 minutes of the order being given...?! Had the Syrians known "3 years ago at the beginning of their rebellion" what the results would be, I wonder if they might have taken another (much longer and less violent) route? Whatever, probably why I prefer stray cats and other animals today. Whilst human-beings readily engage in battles, there's little risk that any of these relatively small skirmishes in any way threaten the imminent demise of the planet's 7 billion or so population. Unlike the imminent threat of extinction of many wild animals today. In fact, I'd even go as far as encouraging human-beings to annihilate each other (if it would lead to saving these animals and others on a wider scale)...?! :mad:

tdracer
9th Feb 2014, 00:17
Watching some of the coverage Saturday on NBC (besides, nothing much else on at the moment).

Speed skating - they didn't show many crowd shots but maybe half full? Biathlon crowd looks better but still lots of empty seats in the grand stands - hard to tell overall since it's not clear which areas allow spectators.

Certainly not like Vancouver where virtually every venue was sold out.

ex_matelot
9th Feb 2014, 01:20
If any terrorism occurs in Sochi then I would applaud a Russian retalitiation by way of creating a glass carpark on the site of a sacred bingo hall.

I'm watching the opening ceremony live now - it is embarrassing to watch. There is NOBODY in the stands! They've even rigged flashlights around the stadium to give the impression of flash-photography. I feel sorry for the athletes - they must have so looked forward to this and it all looks rather sad and humiliating..

A bit like Mandela's funeral then?

I think this is all a rather gash attempt of western propaganda. Tokenistic avoidance by Obama and Cameron due to alleged homophobia etc etc. It's just cheap attempts at winning a few home votes. I saw no protest from the west when the location of the next world cup location was decided. Blokes with a good knowledge of none primary colurs and an interest in interior design don't (publically) fair too well there either but...nothing has been said. Why could that be?

Putin is not a dictator. We need one of he over here to sort our shit out. None of our career politicians have the credibility to criticise any other statesman. That goes for Obama as well. America has proved they will elect a black man and are not wholly racist, next time they can get on and elect someone fit for purpose.

27mm
10th Feb 2014, 08:58
Love the Russki riot cops, with OMOH lego on their backs.....;)

meadowrun
10th Feb 2014, 13:12
But if you are a resident of Sochi...

You get to line up stoically for many hours to squeeze through narrow doors guarded by extremely unpleasant men to wait another few hours to purchase tickets to events.

And that is just the beginning. Once they have tickets they have to apply for approval from the country's dour security apparatus for the photo ID everyone must wear at all times when attending events. At every step along the way these keen fans are pushed around and verbally abused by poorly spoken, ill-tempered officials who treat them with open contempt.

Foreigners complain about having to get by without electricity and hot or potable water - or having rooms in places that are only half-finished but for residents of Sochi these shortcomings are a daily fact of life and so routine they are hardly worthy of comment.

Residents envy the privileged lives of most foreign visitors who cut ahead of them in lineups and glide past them on highways that have been closed to Russians who have been banned from driving their vehicles anywhere, anyway. Not to mention the plights of the dogs.

One man says, "It is Russia and it is always this way. It is a tradition for us not to be ready until the last possible moment.", as construction continues.

One man's opinion - not mine. Mine is "The Propaganda Games".

dead_pan
10th Feb 2014, 16:16
Just noticed there's a noteworthy hockey match taking place in Group A on Saturday - echoes of...

qYscemhnf88

dead_pan
10th Feb 2014, 16:22
Biathlon crowd

Were they openly biathlon?

looks better but still lots of empty seats in the grand stands

In case you hadn't noticed, Sochi is in the ar$e-end of Russia. Its even a trek for most Russians to get there, let alone anyone else.

sitigeltfel
27th Feb 2014, 12:55
Did the Russkies cheat???

German broadcaster WDR reports athletes used the noble gas xenon, which academic studies say causes an increase of the hormone erythropoietin (EPO). BBC Sport - Sochi 2014: Russia Winter Olympics 'gas' claims investigated (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26369004)

Shirley not!