PDA

View Full Version : Tablet ideas please

Octane
22nd Jan 2014, 13:53
Hello to all,

My android ASUS Infinity tablet is dying. Its been really good but hasnt been the same since I dropped it 3 months ago and its on the way out. Its display/ camera/ battery life has been great (has keyboard with 2nd battery). I want the replacement to have the same features but am a bit undecided about android. 95% of the time android is fine but sometimes websites dont function correctly (couple of airline sites, hotmail android is rubbish etc). I rarely use a windows based device but occassionally android cannot do it. Usually it happens at a critical moment (Murphy's Law) and it's a PITA. Should I consider a windows device or other? I'm addicted to touch sreens but a detachable keyboard is essential. I have no interest in Apple devices, I like being able to use usb and SD cards etc.
Your thoughts much appreciated.
Cheers
Octane

MG23
22nd Jan 2014, 17:19
You pretty much have a choice between:

Android
Windows
Blackberry
Apple.

If you write off Apple and are having problems with Android, there's really only Windows and Blackberry left. Personally, I liked the Blackberry tablet I used briefly in 2012, but I've no idea about their new OS or what their future is likely to hold. I've never used a Windows tablet.

Both of those are likely to suffer from a lack of interesting apps, but I believe Blackberry now let you install Android apps too. There seem to be plenty of Windows tablets like the ASUS Transformer, but I don't know about Blackberry.

Octane
23rd Jan 2014, 16:49
Where are you? I'd appreciate your input......!

mixture
23rd Jan 2014, 20:33
Well, you said you're not interested in Apple due to some sort of prejudice. :(

However I would comment that you should probably rule out Blackberry too given their uncertain future.

KBPsen
23rd Jan 2014, 21:44
95% of the time android is fine but sometimes websites dont function correctly That is likely due to the website using Flash which neither Android or iOS support as standard. There will often be a mobile version of the site available to get around that problem.

Octane
24th Jan 2014, 00:04
Hello mixture,
I think Apple gear is amazing, clever stuff but just not for my needs. I'm travelling (driving my '67 mini from Melbourne to not sure where, in Bali at the moment). I only have a tablet and smartphone. I use the USB port for charging the phone, reviewing go pro stuff etc. I have only limited slow bandwidth internet access so it has been a good solution so far. Apple gear is expensive high end stuff where as mine is cheap, almost disposable. I'm not anti Apple, honest!

mixture
24th Jan 2014, 13:31
Octane,

Hehe no worries... just make sure you choose wisely between the two remaining manufacturers / systems. :cool:

henry_crun
24th Jan 2014, 19:50
Before doing anything else try backing up and making a note of all apps installed, then do a Factory Reset.

Frequent cleaning and app killing is effective.