PDA

View Full Version : Near miss Delta landing in EZE

Dimitri Cherchenko
21st Jan 2014, 20:12
Local Argentine newspaper reports that flight DL101 of Delta damaged a wing (see picture) while trying to land in bad storm in EZE, and ended up lifting again and going to Montevideo.

Un avión de Delta casi se estrella al intentar aterrizar en Ezeiza en medio de la tormenta - lanacion.com * (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1657259-un-avion-del-delta-casi-se-estrella-al-intentar-aterrizar-en-ezeiza-en-medio-de-la-tormenta)

A4
21st Jan 2014, 20:33
So just how do you damage a slat, mid way along the wing during landing? BIG bird?

Machinbird
21st Jan 2014, 23:39
Strange failure. Looks like something failed at the inboard edge of the slat while it was deployed. Probably ripped off when accelerating on the missed approach.

http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/b504d87682d511e3bf0c12ae92a57394_8.jpg

TioPablo
21st Jan 2014, 23:41
The weather conditions were not ideal, but I agree with you ... I suspect it was a big ball of ice .. Not a big bird... They seek shelter under that weather...

jack11111
22nd Jan 2014, 00:30
Perhaps one of the hinge support legs jammed and pushed right through the slat upon retraction.

TioPablo
22nd Jan 2014, 03:33
Perhaps jack1111, but you guys going to EZE during this week be :mad: alert with the weather conditions...

patowalker
22nd Jan 2014, 06:11
An article in today's La Nacion suggests the damage was noticed by passengers before the landing was aborted and that cabin crew informed the flight crew.

"Se vieron chispazos en el ala", dijo uno de los pasajeros del avión de Delta - lanacion.com (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1657471-se-vieron-chispazos-en-el-ala-dijo-uno-de-los-pasajeros-del-avion-de-delta)

ATC Watcher
22nd Jan 2014, 06:48
If the Pax/ witness report can be trusted he says :se vieron chispazos y que parte de las chapas del ala cedían por la presión.
which means he saw sparks (when flaps were lowered) and a piece of the slats breaking due to the pressure.

Charlie_Fox
22nd Jan 2014, 07:05
It's possible that the storm and the slat damage are not related. We once found similar slat damage on arrival that must have occurred at the previous station. I seem to remember that the cause was put down to maintenance testing the slats while the fuel truck was under the wing.

patowalker
22nd Jan 2014, 10:11
Yes, that is more likely. I would imagine that a skin punctured at the previous station would cause sparks as it gave way and flapped against the hinge under pressure once deployed.

gwillie
22nd Jan 2014, 15:24
Two tidbits from AV Herald:

"Passengers reported seeing sparks, possibly lightning, and a part flying off the right hand wing."

By Jennifer on Wednesday, Jan 22nd 2014 15:32Z
My dad was on this flight and he saw the part of the wing fly off. There were no injuries. The pilots said it was caused by extreme turbulence and excessive wind shear which was pushing the plane upward thank goodness. This also increased the speed and the pilots had no way of slowing it down. Due to the speed the wing flap, which was sticking up in preparation for landing, was detached. They were able to make it to Uruguay without a problem and they were scheduled to fly back into Buenos Aries once another plane can fly there and pick them up. Delta does not normally fly into Uruguay

filejw
23rd Jan 2014, 11:55
Wind Shear with increasing airspeed created flaps overspeed is the word in ATL..

zerozero
23rd Jan 2014, 23:11
Wind Shear with increasing airspeed created flaps overspeed is the word in ATL..

Plausible.

tdracer
23rd Jan 2014, 23:20
The 21.3 report also blames 'severe turbulence" :confused:.

Personally I wouldn't rule out some sort of preexisting damage.

A4
24th Jan 2014, 06:41
That must have been some overspeed to peel the slat! I agree that it's plausible there was an existing weakness to allow it to fail in such a way.

Aluminium shuffler
24th Jan 2014, 09:24
If none of the other slats are damaged, then it supports a pre-existing or impact damage scenario. It would be a relatively unusual place for a lightning strike, but that could be another factor in the localised nature of the damage.

daikilo
25th Jan 2014, 10:36
I wonder if the presence of the retrofitted winglet could have changed the loadings in that area?

Lonewolf_50
27th Jan 2014, 13:16
What about the other wing, daikilo? ;)

golfyankeesierra
27th Jan 2014, 15:10
Near miss Delta landing in EZE

And what did they nearly miss?

Reminds me of George Carlin "Traveling on the Airlines"
"Near miss, near miss? It's a near hit!"

deefer dog
28th Jan 2014, 08:01
Possibly ice underneath/inside the slat that jammed it up?

lomapaseo
28th Jan 2014, 14:07
perhaps for the tech section. But is this pseudo increase in airspeed in windsheer really an increase in drag load on the slat or is the effect just air-turbulence shaking these bits ?

MPH
28th Jan 2014, 14:13
Looks more like a FOD damage, maybe on landing or even when on T/O from previous?

daikilo
28th Jan 2014, 19:08
<what about the other wing>
Well, maybe the air wasn't 100% uniform and maybe the other side would have failed on the next equivalent occurance. I'm not suggesting this is the cause, just what may be a relevant question.

Chu Chu
28th Jan 2014, 23:58
I'd have thought that an airspeed increase from wind shear (an abrupt increase in head wind) would be real, but short-lived (until the aircraft slows and drag again equals thrust). I have no idea whether the resulting overspeed could be enough to break a slat.